Clark Construction Group

Robert Moser

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work, Brand Name

Costa Mesa, CA

ProsThe projects are one of a kind and you'll have bragging rights
    Strong use of technology in operations - Office side
    New hire rotation gives you experience to work in Estimating as well as operations
    Well defined path of moving up - Different routes to take
    Excellent diversity - Lots of women in upper management
    Competitive compensation
    Opportunities to enhance knowledge - Corporate University / Reimbursement for Professional Certifications and Higher education (M.S/MBA)
    Fast promotions for A-type personalities - We can see a lot of young execs.

ConsThe cons apply to the overall construction industry - There is nothing specifically wrong with Clark, as far as Construction companies go.

LONG hours expected
    Minimum flexibility / Work Life balance
    Still learning to recognize people with advanced degrees (The industry recognizes people with experience, not P.H.Ds) - They clump all the new hires together, with or without college degrees and expect them to advance the same way (The compensation varies, but the job title stays the same)
    No choice in selection of projects or roles in a project - Can suddenly be moved to another city with little notice.
    Top heavy - Too many kings and not enough soldiers -Needs more middle managers. There are countless VPs getting a lion's share of the profits generated.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince there are a lot of new hires/entry level engineers, it would give you an edge over other companies if you learnt to manage the Gen Y folk. You can't always expect to mentor and create more conservative, mini-yous - The industry shift to manage new blood is sluggish and would need leaders like you to change it.

It's hard but worth it

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsClark Construction Group, especially its western region, builds unique projects on a scale that most contractors don't even pursue with any frequency. My experience with the officers of the western region is that if I want it, they will allow me to pursue it as long as it doesn't interfere with what they expect of me.

ConsLike most of its competitors, the staff generally has to put long hours (50hr+/wk during normal loads - occasional 60-70hr/wk). I believe the bonuses are some of the lowest, especially when compared ESOP contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLarger bonuses and transparency. We all know that the company is profitable, the staff would like a larger portion based on the work we put in.

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clark Construction Group reviews and ratings in Costa Mesa, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clark Construction Group CEO Robert Moser. All reviews posted anonymously by Clark Construction Group employees.