Clark Construction Group

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
3.7

Robert Moser

Pros
  • Clark has great people to work with which makes the days go by faster and make them more fun (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunity to work on high profile, glamorous projects (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work/life balance (don't listen to how much they preach, it's nonsense) (in 7 reviews)

• Your work long hours and you are pushed to the limit (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Accountant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Accountant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare plan and average 401k plan. Headquarters is in good location (Bethesda), therefore easily accessible from DC, NOVA and Montgomery County, MD or PG county, MD. "Well-intentioned" management, although conservative and somewhat frugal.

Cons

Below average salary. Somewhat conservative management due to closely-held ownership.

Experience depends on where in the company you work

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large Company with diverse work. Good benefits. Corporate leadership seems to really care about the company core values and treating employees well.

Cons

Experiences can greatly vary depending on where you work in the company. Those hired as office engineers have 2 well defined advancement tracks they can progress through. If you work anywhere else in the company, there may be no opportunity to advance.

The department I worked for was a frustrating dead end. Every year we had performance reviews where we had to set development goals, but no direction of what to develop towards, and no support to accomplish the meaningless goals. Our department had a culture of everyone trying to stab each other in the backs constantly.

It has now been a year since I worked there, taking a pay cut to leave. Since leaving, I have found that I have become a much happier person than when I worked at Clark. It was the best decision I ever made.

Find ways to offer new challenges and opportunities to those outside of project teams. Even opportunities for lateral moves would have made the experience much better.

A good start

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time

Pros

Great compensation for the industry

Clark University is awesome! Great for entry level employees

Large company with great work & great reputation which is comforting

Cons

Diversity- would be nice to see more women and minorities especially at the Project Engineer level & up

Early days and late nights- but hey that's construction

Mentorship Program is okay, could be better than just once a month meetings

It's great once you become a PM

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great projects, senior management cares about employees

Cons

The first 3-4 years you can just feel like a number, doing a lot of repetitive, paper pushing type work, but that's the norm for most careers as you start at the bottom.

Clark was a Great experience.

Former Employee - Compliance Officer Assistant
    Former Employee - Compliance Officer Assistant

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clark will let you know upon hire that you have joined the Dark Side, meaning that they take care of their own. I was at National Stadium and to be a part of such an elite team of Project Managers and to see the vision of how the stadium came about was priceless.

Cons

Clark was a great opportunity at the time it was just I wasn't ready at the time for the great responsibilities that I had to accomplish. If given the opportunity again I wouldn't take it for granted. My salary was low at the time, but the benefits were Great!

Be reliable, flexible, punctual, eager to learn.

Great Job

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company treats employees well. The management team was very knowledgeable with processes and efficiencies. The projects were well managed and everyone was made to feel like an important part of the team.

Cons

Employer offered education would be beneficial

Continue to mentor

Great company

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience, responsibility, work ethic, management

Cons

No Personal Time - no time for anything

Rewarding but extremely overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on high profile, glamorous projects.

Cons

Overworked & underpaid, Company contribution is 5% only. Project end and yearly bonus is not guaranteed or consistent with company established criteria. It is possible (happens often) for a employee to partially work on, for example, 3 different projects over 2 years, and not see any bonus during those two years or later on when any of the 3 projects get completed.

Make timely promotions with adequate compensation.

Mixed - Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very intelligent, Type A personalities, amazing educational and growth experience, and hidden benefits ( eductation reimbursement, etc)

Cons

Similar to others;

1) Extreme lack of transparacy
    2) Below industry compensation, and no incentive to work harder because no clear bonus/promotion system
    3) Turnover - Last employee left of 7 that were hired with me.

Someone once told me that Office Engineers and Project Engineers were a giant catepillar and if the legs got cut off it wouldn't matter because new legs would grow back. Right now i see massive turnover and ramped up hiring. I cant imagine this is a cost effective model to run a business. Reward young employees and try to retain talent. It is also time to revisit the preconstruction model - seperate the departments as they used to be. Yes it is a good way to well round your employees, but when you work them to death, others benefit from the talent.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clark is a great company to work for. They have supported most of my wishes and positions I wanted to work in.

Cons

Clark is rapidly becoming the stepping stone to other companies. I just found out that my salary after busting my butt for 3 years is now the salary they hire college grads for... Many of my co-workers have gone to other companies, receiving 30% raises for their experience. Don't know how much longer I will stick around here...

Figure it out...