Clark Construction Group

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014

3.8

Robert Moser

Pros
  • A lot of young people running projects (in 3 reviews)

• Highly respected firm focused on pursuing high profile and "real" (funded) projects (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work/life balance (don't listen to how much they preach, it's nonsense) (in 6 reviews)

• Your work long hours and you are pushed to the limit (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A very supportive and encouraging work environment.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

The project management staff were open to any questions and were always willing to answer any questions in detail.

Cons

I did not come across any cons during the small period I was interning for the company.

Keep up the good, efficient work.

Wonderful people, exciting work

Current Employee - Intern  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Really interesting, smart, fun people to work with; I was a summer intern with Clark and worked on site in a trailer and after 2 months of I felt like I had learned so much

Cons

I am a planning major so it was not an ideal internship for me, but it was still very beneficial and looks good on my resume.

No advice - I loved my summer spent with this company

Project Intern

Former Employee - Project Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Fun, challenging, exciting, lots of resources for personal and professional growth

Cons

I literally have no cons. Everything was amazing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Office Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

You get to see the most challenging projects, and managers are more than willing to feed you responsibilities pretty much the minute you're ready for them, and sometimes even a little before you might feel you're ready - very much a "sink or swim" culture. Great for setting up entry-level engineers to be successful for the rest of their careers. Clark has several divisions, and encourage as much exposure as possible - not only between the different divisions, but also with its field, PM, pre-construction rotations.

Cons

Senior management doesn't spend as much time in the field as they probably should - sometimes appear to be very out-of-touch with the day-to-day operations in the trailer. Middle management can be shaky at times - some very good project managers, others that are less competent, especially on the technical side. Entry level office engineers are sometimes given minimal guidance and are thus often left to "fly at the seat of their pants," which can be good in that it challenges them, but can also result in poor management of aspects of a project. Staffing can also be very top-heavy, with many more middle managers/supervisors and fewer office engineers who are actually generating tangible work.

We understand you guys are busy, but spend some more time getting to know your lower level management staff - what they do on a day-to-day basis and the inefficiencies of their work because they're the ones generating the work being reviewed by middle managers. The more you know about their work, the higher the quality of project management can be attained at the front lines.

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Project Executive  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Exciting business to be in.

Cons

Promotions are not always equitable especially for women.

Keep up the corporate communication.

Clark Construction

Current Employee - Office Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

None problems with Clark so far

Keep up the good work

Very encouraging work environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

All the project management staff were open to any questions and were always willing to teach or answer any questions

Cons

Tasks can be monotonous at times.

Clark Construction - Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

I enjoyed the diversity of responsibilities given to me as a project engineer. In addition, you are given a good amount of responsibility as well as autonomy to become part of management in your own way.

Cons

Honestly, I can not find a negative perspective to the job at this time. I've heard that you can be capped at a certain salary once an individual reaches the title of Project Manager. This usually is the cause for those to seek employment elsewhere.

Summer Intern Review

Former Employee - Project Management Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Got to have large roles of responsibility. They pay well for an internship and treat us well with a couple happy hour events.

Cons

Experience dependent on job site assigned. Much more rewarding to be part of structural construction than close-out.

Good company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

They're the largest GC in the DC area and build the largest and most interesting projects around. You can get exposure to a lot of different aspects of the business if you make an attempt to learn. Good job security...only 1 round of big layoffs since the recession, others have been here and there.

Cons

Compared to other companies, fairly weak pay and bonus packages. Bonuses are tied to jobs, and some won't reach you for 2-3 years. If you have a good boss they will take care of you at the main office. Many youngsters with 3-5 years in leave for more money and responsibility. Also a very top heavy company, to many meetings with 5 VP's who all have great ideas but depend on the guys at the lower ends of the food chain to do the work.....takes away some of the development opportunities for young managers to take the lead. The 10 days/year of vacation for the first 5 years is weak.

I think that better career development plans need to be established. It is so very dependent on who you are fortunate enough to work for and what exposure they give you. Good people get bounced around a lot, especially to some of the large federal jobs that are great for the company but not a lot of fun for your employees. Something outside of the yearly performance review is needed. Also, combine time off and sick to one PTO bank..maybe have 20 days after 3 years???

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!