Clark Construction Group

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
3.8

Robert Moser

Pros
  • A lot of young people running projects (in 3 reviews)

• Highly respected firm focused on pursuing high profile and "real" (funded) projects (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work/life balance (don't listen to how much they preach, it's nonsense) (in 6 reviews)

• Your work long hours and you are pushed to the limit (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Project Executive

Current Employee - Project Executive  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- A chance to work on large diversified projects
    - Steady stable career
    - A lot of young people running projects
    - Well established systesm/processes

Cons

- Upper management doesn't communicate well with employees about where the company is going, prospects...etc
    - Upper management is very clickish. You need a "daddy" to advance
    - You get stuck in the middle of the ladder for a long time with no guidance on how to take the next step
    - Your work long hours and you are pushed to the limit
    - Very conservative in utilizing new technologies
    - No consistency on how to run work between the regions

Less ivory tower decisions and closed doors meetings

Nice try...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Clark Construction Group

Pros

One of the biggest general contracting firms in the country -- and easily in the Mid-Atlantic. Many intelligent people work here with lots of experience. Good place to get your feet wet in construction.

Cons

No regard for the employee and all about the business. It's understood to get the work done, but there are several other ways to handle scenarios and issues in lieu of what was done. Bureaucratic -- probably because of its large size. Almost no chance to to progress in your career if you are dealt the wrong hand in senior management. Some play favorites and really take care of employees -- others act like employees do not exist.

Pete and the extreme senior management is fine and seem to care. It's that lower tier of senior managers that need to wake up.

Who is deciding where you are placed?

Current Employee - Office Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people are friendly and helpful. Very thorough onboarding process,

Cons

I am not too sure that HR or management actually reads resumes and places new hires where they would be most effective. It seems like a waste a resources. I applied to Clark Base Group and wound up work in a completely different department.

Take better notes during interviews and pay more attention to where you place employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

re-constructing platform services, drilling point masonry joints and do assignments that the foreman instructs me

Former Employee - Laborer  in  New Carrollton, MD
    Former Employee - Laborer in New Carrollton, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked problem solving. With Clark it gave me opportunities to do so everyday on the job. I like to build and I like the atmosphere of helping co-workers to complete task.

Cons

Besides the 7 day work week with 12 hour shifts on the 6th and 7th day Clark was a great place to work.

Good morale in the field could be better.

Project Engineer experience at Clark Construction Group

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is potential for career growth - must align yourself with the right individual(s).

Cons

Work-life balance when I worked there was little to non-existent. I hope things have improved.

Positive, learned a good deal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group

Pros

The quality of experiences gained is strong. The exposure is strong. The projects are often complex and interesting

Cons

There are those that the company is pleased to have on board, and those that the company is really pleased to have on board. It's a bit tricky there. Also, the company is a bit tricky when it comes to bonuses. Verbal compiments are given for strong work, but very little actions that require Clark to impart costs on behalf of an employee are taken. Never free lunches, etc. Never compensation for working Saturdays. Thank you's sure-- lots of thsoe, but thank you's are easy for managers. The thing with most companies that is tricky is work is a business. If the company makes money on a strong employee great, but those that are making the company money in little ways, like working on a weekend aren't reimbursed adequately for the effort.

observing the new hires was always interesting. It seems as though they're the ones that give the most. I guess that's likely of all companies. Maybe, do more to reimburse those folks.

The biggest construction company in town.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group

Pros

You'll have the opportunity to work on projects that at other companies you would never even get the chance to look at. You'll also have the opportunity to do a lot of philanthropic work as the company provides tons of opportunities to help those in need. The company tries to make the many young new hires feel welcome at Clark by providing different activities for them to participate in during their first year. Clark hires a lot of young, bright people from the top engineering schools in the country. The company has an excellent reputation in the community as a leader in the construction industry.

Cons

It's the Clark way or the highway. If you are not a vice president, your opinion is not valued nor will it be heard. Be prepared for a lot of red tape and inefficiency trying to get your work done as there are so many processes and people to go through in order to complete simple tasks. The atmosphere is very formal and stiff. Upper management will put inexperienced people in positions where they are bound to fail and when they do fail they will fire them. They don't properly train people in their day to day activities. It is definitely a sink or swim mentality and many do sink.

Provide the many young people at the company with individual mentors to guide them through their daily activities. Encourage participation and listen to the ideas of all people working for Clark. If you encourage decisionmaking and ownership you'll find better developed employees.

Gainful Experience that will increase your Market Value.

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Valuable experience
    -Challenging work environment
    -Never boring.
    -Team environment
    -Clark Corporate University program
    -Large organization with many capabilities
    -Smart group of people

Cons

-Had to leave to get paid what I was worth.
    -Worked weekends without compensation or equitable time off.
    -Seems if you don't have problems everyday then your job is thought to be easy rather then simply doing a good job.

Communicate to your employees at lower levels especially if you approve their time sheets, expenses and responsible for their reviews.

Very encouraging work environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Clark Construction Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

All the project management staff were open to any questions and were always willing to teach or answer any questions

Cons

Tasks can be monotonous at times.

Clark Construction - Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the diversity of responsibilities given to me as a project engineer. In addition, you are given a good amount of responsibility as well as autonomy to become part of management in your own way.

Cons

Honestly, I can not find a negative perspective to the job at this time. I've heard that you can be capped at a certain salary once an individual reaches the title of Project Manager. This usually is the cause for those to seek employment elsewhere.

Worked for Clark Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!