Clark County School District

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.6

Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • Good benefits; Decent hourly pay compared to other jobs in Las Vegas; Fun work with kids; Summer's off (in 7 reviews)

• Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Your entire life will revolve around test scores (in 5 reviews)

• red tape, 20hr days, low pay (for all that you are required to accomplish), spending (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Everyday is a new adventure

I have been working at Clark County School District

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule, choose which schools you work at, what subjects and grades you teach.

Cons

When there is no school, you cant work and therefore you won't have a paycheck; i.e. staff development days, school holidays, etc..
    No benefits.

You really are your own manager, just be nice and polite when working in different schools and you will have no problems.

This is a very large school district, fifth largest in the nation.

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With many schools, there are many job opportunities. The benefits plan is great.

Cons

Sometimes it feels too big. It does not have the same feel as a smaller city school district.

Teaching is very demanding and is getting more demanding every year with little to no extra compensation for the increase in workload. Admin often has their hands tied when it comes to this, but it would be nice if teachers in the district could be compensated more as their job duties increase.

I believe that I am qualified for a high position that I currently hold.

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I believe that I have much more to offer that I currently provide.

Cons

Have no comment in this area

Employees who have higher experience should be allow to contribute at a higher level that I currently contribute.

Work Overload

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good continuing education on staff development days. Good network of therapists employed or contracted to CCSD. Therapy materials and test kits available. Good orientation procedures for new therapists. Teachers generally appreciate the contributions of therapists. Days off occur during the summer months and also several weeks during the school year. Medical, dental and other benefits are solid, although not necessarily adequate for all situations.

Cons

Very low pay scale for therapists. Only two supervisors for more than 120 therapists. Too many schools assigned to each therapist. Not enough documentation time, so therapists' paperwork often needs to be done at home after work hours. Early IEP meetings at 7 a.m. or meetings after school dismissal can extend a therapist's work day beyond contracted number of hours (e.g the therapist's schedule for one or more work days in a given week is extended when it is often not possible to arrange to leave early or arrive later to compensate).

Add supervisors. Raise pay scale in order to recruit more therapists and thus decrease excessive case loads.

Racist school district... If you are "ethnic," good luck!!!

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pro: It was extremely easy to get a job teaching in CCSD; the interview process consisted of current principals at UNLV during the last semester.
    Pro: I loved helping students succeed and realize their true academic potential.

Cons

I felt out of place outside of my classroom because many of my colleagues (and admin) refused to have anything to do with me due to my race. I was always the only "ethnic" teacher in my department and occasionally... the school. The majority of the teachers in this district are white. The majority of the administrators in CCSD are white. Furthermore, the majority of the students who are disciplined are... Hispanic and Black (regardless of the school's demographics).

The majority of teachers who are disciplined for petty findings are.. minorities. There are many cons to working for the Clark County School District... the low pay, harassing work environment, and the racist bigots who are appointed to supervising roles.

If you are interested in teaching for the Clark County School District, please think twice (or thrice) if you are a minority because they will make it incredibly difficult for you to perform your job and make a difference.

There should be minorities employed in the Affirmative Action department as to not be 'biased' when receiving complaints against racist administrators and their supervisors. This district should also employ more minorities overall (due to the fact that many of the schools in CCSD now have a student population consisting of minorities in the majority) with the exception of the Support Staff roles (there seems to be an abundance of minorities employed in these roles for some "odd" reason).

I actually contacted the Superintendent's office to present my findings of racist/discriminatory practices and they passed me along to another department, who in turn did the same thing! I hope some administrator reads this and changes his/her discriminatory behavior... but I am not optimistic about race relations improving in Clark County School District.

Teachers are overworked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Medical insurance is pretty good.

Cons

This district, does not care about the teachers, and "they" care about the students in name only. If they truly cared, up to date curriculum would be provided, rather than expecting teachers to purchase their own materials or scurrage the internet and print out their own materials. Furthermore, they have no loyalty to the teachers who have served diligently for years. When it serves their purpose, they "target" teachers and set them up for failure. I have seen this happen multiple times in a ten year span.

Treat teachers like the professionals we are. Most teachers have at least a Master's degree and are very good at what we do. If there are some teachers who need corrective action, then deal with those individually as needed. The entire school district should not be punished because of a few bad apples.. Let us teach, and stop with the endless amounts of paper work that has to be filled out and turned into administration. If you want test scores to increase, supply teachers and students with up to date curriculum, and realize that parents and students are also responsible for the test scores. It is not all the teacher's efforts or lack of efforts that effect those scores. As far as not having the budget to supply up to date curriculum--how about the Superintendent and other higher officials take a major pay cut! Giving teachers a 1% raise in a 3-4 year time period is an insult!

My experience has been great.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility. Work when you want.

Cons

Working around kids can be stressful sometimes

Slices of pizza should be cheaper

Teacher Beware

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

None ... start off low and stay low.

Cons

Long hours, lack of parental support, and large class sizes. Union is basically worthless, except to take your dues.

None, they don't care ... it is too big a machine.

This organization is top heavy!

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

This organization is top heavy. Too many management types who only seem concerned with their own paycheck and patting themselves on the back. Unrealistic expectations for current employees to constantly fill in for positions that have been eliminated, in addition to their own work.

Stop cutting jobs and expecting others to pick up the slack. Allow people to do the job they were hired for, instead of expecting they regularly do work that is in no way part of their job description.

Happily, Dwight Jones is no longer the Superintendent of Schools for CCSD. Shortly after tremendous salary was paid to him, he broke his contract and left the district. No opinion on the new Superintendent as yet.

Took awhile to get hired but it was worth it

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

I work as a sub so its very flexible but could work everyday based on grade

Cons

wish there were more long term jobs

great district to work for