Clark County School District

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
2.7

Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • Good benefits; Decent hourly pay compared to other jobs in Las Vegas; Fun work with kids; Summer's off (in 7 reviews)

• Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Your entire life will revolve around test scores (in 5 reviews)

• Read the statistics about how 35% of all teachers have left the field after one year (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience has been great.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility. Work when you want.

Cons

Working around kids can be stressful sometimes

Slices of pizza should be cheaper

This organization is top heavy!

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

This organization is top heavy. Too many management types who only seem concerned with their own paycheck and patting themselves on the back. Unrealistic expectations for current employees to constantly fill in for positions that have been eliminated, in addition to their own work.

Stop cutting jobs and expecting others to pick up the slack. Allow people to do the job they were hired for, instead of expecting they regularly do work that is in no way part of their job description.

Happily, Dwight Jones is no longer the Superintendent of Schools for CCSD. Shortly after tremendous salary was paid to him, he broke his contract and left the district. No opinion on the new Superintendent as yet.

Took awhile to get hired but it was worth it

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

I work as a sub so its very flexible but could work everyday based on grade

Cons

wish there were more long term jobs

great district to work for

Hidden agenda- all is not as it is professed to be!

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you live in Las Vegas and need a decent teacher income, it is the only game in town. That being said, I would not recommend working for them as I have seen many great teachers leave and moral is really down.

Cons

Testing is most important, rather than learning. Stress is high at the 7 schools I've had personal experience at in the past 10 years. Teachers are no longer valued as professionals; you must do everything cookie cutter style regardless of experience or expertise. To question the value of new district policies will get you reprimanded. And if you mention contract violation, there is a process to quiet you that fabricates wrongdoing on your part. You can report an unethical boss, but nothing will be done about it.and you will not be afforded the right to transfer, even though the union contract states that you may.

Making it clear that teachers must put up with unethical principals no matter what is poor business practice. Moral is vital and respect should be a part of all interactions with teachers- they are the most important piece of the puzzle! It is well documented that the critical factor in regards to student achievement is the teacher in the room! Retain great teachers by valuing their input and allowing them to have a voice in the teaching and learning process. Bullying is unacceptable. The children matter, and are not to be treated like rats in an experiment.

nope

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the teachers who find a way to make it work

Cons

no meaningful professional development, expectations without adequate support. sometimes it seems even the people above school-level administration don't have the skill sets to coach and support teachers.

Awesome to Great, could go either way.

Former Employee - Student Worker in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gave me the advantage to work at school, while attending it. I was basically getting paid to go to school. Also was able to get free lunch for working.

Cons

Minimum wage for student workers.

Raise the income for the student workers.

throwing away my degree

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

sometimes you get to do what you love--teach! and the benefits aren't as bad as they are elsewhere...

Cons

red tape, 20hr days, low pay (for all that you are required to accomplish), spending $1000s to get extra material for your class room+students...the cons are numerous.

don't make your staff feel like children. when we ask for help, don't make us feel stupid, don't demean us...find a way to help us improve, rather than give up.

Working for the school district has been so rewarding!

Current Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work in the office. I love working for the school district. The pay is good. You get lots of holidays. If you have small children, which I did when I first got a position with CCSD, you will be home when they are off. If you don't care for the job you are in you have a lot of options you can transfer into.

Cons

I only work 9 months and don't get paid for my summers off. I either have to save money during the school year or find a 3-month position. When I was married it was fine to have summers off, but being single it is a lot more difficult.

Top notch

Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Large district with a small district.

Cons

Large class sizes. Many new roll out programs each yr.

Horrible Demands On Teachers - Rampant Cronyism

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fifteen accruable sick days off per year.
    Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference.
    Mobility opportunities.
    Decent job if you are a non-core teacher.

Cons

The first priority of the district is not to educate children, but to keep non admin salaries low. A free and appropriate education is not a high priority.
    Classes are overcrowded.
    Canned curriculum changes every year and lauded as the "new" panacea.
    District does not address the real reasons why students fail and blames teachers.
    Schools and classes are so overcrowded, students are overwhelmed and often feel lost and insignificant. Bullying is rampant because, in part, to low staffing.
    So much emphasis is placed on testing, elementary students are stressed to the point of tears.
    Unrealistic expectations from off-site administrators of classroom teachers
    Teachers are made out to be the villain.
    Teachers have very little control of curriculum decisions.
    Student discipline is not taken seriously by the district.
    Off-site administration places unrealistic burdens on on-site administrators. I've seen well-intentioned people go into administration to make a difference only to be changed, and not for the better. They are always threatened with how "not being a team player" will adversely affect their career trajectory by central district admin.
    Work load is not equitable.
    Union is weak and are bullies. They have a history of cronyism and and a supposed-former administrator who was triple dipping and making money by the truck loads while teachers weren't getting raises. They run the Teacher's Health Trust which is awful. If you get sick outside of Clark County, don't expect them to help you with your medical costs. They charge CCSD $550 per month per employee, plus the employee pays another $50 (unless you want bare bones) and it's the worst coverage I've ever had.
    Not vested in retirement for five years, but half the people quit teaching within the first five years, so lose everything.
    Professional development is horribly unprofessional.
    Teachers are now being evaluated on things beyond their control.
    Low teacher moral.
    High turnover.

Quit treating teachers like they are the enemy.
    School Improvement Plans are a joke. Ask department teachers what really needs to be done for the students in THEIR school and then DO IT.
    Common Core is bad for students. Advocate for its repeal.
    Quit buying prepackaged curriculum, forcing it on teachers, and them blaming the teacher when it doesn't work. Teachers are professionals with advanced degrees and are the boots-on-the-ground employees. We know what to do; let us, support us, and appreciate the hard work and sacrifices we make.
    Get rid of the teachers who have cronyed their way out of the classroom into a job as a "facilitator" and come back to tell us actual teachers, who have stayed and are there doing the actual work, how to do their jobs. If they were good teachers to begin with, they would not opt out.
    Moral comes from the top down. Be a flagship to the rest of the nation on how to treat employees and you will never have a teacher shortage again.
    Get a cohort of classroom teachers together to write appropriate textbooks and self publish. You don't need a textbook company to sell you overpriced textbooks and consumables. Teachers can do it if you let them. And they will actually align it with the High Stakes Tests.