Clark County School District

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.8

Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

• CCSD provides employees with a good benefits package as well as plenty of time off and medical leave (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Your entire life will revolve around test scores (in 5 reviews)

• Read the statistics about how 35% of all teachers have left the field after one year (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Took awhile to get hired but it was worth it

Current Employee - Guest Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work as a sub so its very flexible but could work everyday based on grade

Cons

wish there were more long term jobs

great district to work for

Awesome to Great, could go either way.

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gave me the advantage to work at school, while attending it. I was basically getting paid to go to school. Also was able to get free lunch for working.

Cons

Minimum wage for student workers.

Raise the income for the student workers.

throwing away my degree

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

sometimes you get to do what you love--teach! and the benefits aren't as bad as they are elsewhere...

Cons

red tape, 20hr days, low pay (for all that you are required to accomplish), spending $1000s to get extra material for your class room+students...the cons are numerous.

don't make your staff feel like children. when we ask for help, don't make us feel stupid, don't demean us...find a way to help us improve, rather than give up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for the school district has been so rewarding!

Current Employee - Office Specialist II  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work in the office. I love working for the school district. The pay is good. You get lots of holidays. If you have small children, which I did when I first got a position with CCSD, you will be home when they are off. If you don't care for the job you are in you have a lot of options you can transfer into.

Cons

I only work 9 months and don't get paid for my summers off. I either have to save money during the school year or find a 3-month position. When I was married it was fine to have summers off, but being single it is a lot more difficult.

Top notch

Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Large district with a small district.

Cons

Large class sizes. Many new roll out programs each yr.

Horrible Demands On Teachers - Rampant Cronyism

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fifteen accruable sick days off per year.
    Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference.
    Mobility opportunities.
    Decent job if you are a non-core teacher.

Cons

The first priority of the district is not to educate children, but to keep non admin salaries low. A free and appropriate education is not a high priority.
    Classes are overcrowded.
    Canned curriculum changes every year and lauded as the "new" panacea.
    District does not address the real reasons why students fail and blames teachers.
    Schools and classes are so overcrowded, students are overwhelmed and often feel lost and insignificant. Bullying is rampant because, in part, to low staffing.
    So much emphasis is placed on testing, elementary students are stressed to the point of tears.
    Unrealistic expectations from off-site administrators of classroom teachers
    Teachers are made out to be the villain.
    Teachers have very little control of curriculum decisions.
    Student discipline is not taken seriously by the district.
    Off-site administration places unrealistic burdens on on-site administrators. I've seen well-intentioned people go into administration to make a difference only to be changed, and not for the better. They are always threatened with how "not being a team player" will adversely affect their career trajectory by central district admin.
    Work load is not equitable.
    Union is weak and are bullies. They have a history of cronyism and and a supposed-former administrator who was triple dipping and making money by the truck loads while teachers weren't getting raises. They run the Teacher's Health Trust which is awful. If you get sick outside of Clark County, don't expect them to help you with your medical costs. They charge CCSD $550 per month per employee, plus the employee pays another $50 (unless you want bare bones) and it's the worst coverage I've ever had.
    Not vested in retirement for five years, but half the people quit teaching within the first five years, so lose everything.
    Professional development is horribly unprofessional.
    Teachers are now being evaluated on things beyond their control.
    Low teacher moral.
    High turnover.

Quit treating teachers like they are the enemy.
    School Improvement Plans are a joke. Ask department teachers what really needs to be done for the students in THEIR school and then DO IT.
    Common Core is bad for students. Advocate for its repeal.
    Quit buying prepackaged curriculum, forcing it on teachers, and them blaming the teacher when it doesn't work. Teachers are professionals with advanced degrees and are the boots-on-the-ground employees. We know what to do; let us, support us, and appreciate the hard work and sacrifices we make.
    Get rid of the teachers who have cronyed their way out of the classroom into a job as a "facilitator" and come back to tell us actual teachers, who have stayed and are there doing the actual work, how to do their jobs. If they were good teachers to begin with, they would not opt out.
    Moral comes from the top down. Be a flagship to the rest of the nation on how to treat employees and you will never have a teacher shortage again.
    Get a cohort of classroom teachers together to write appropriate textbooks and self publish. You don't need a textbook company to sell you overpriced textbooks and consumables. Teachers can do it if you let them. And they will actually align it with the High Stakes Tests.

Central Administration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly people,
    working with teachers are the highlight

Cons

Expect a lot of cronyism, cliques (like returning to high school as a student)

Hire on experience not ideology

OMG!! For Real

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time

Pros

Good People to work with, Heath Care is OK, retirement is good

Cons

No real structure. Not good to work under people who know not what they are doing. Hours in the classroom with no help, and someone beating you up because you did what they wanted you to do. No protection from parents.

Help out please, and listen

10 years of pure hell and power tripping administrators who only care about test scores!

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The students are sweet and try to do their work in a horrible school environment. The teachers are awesome and try to be there for each other since administration is working against them at every turn. The secretaries are extremely uneducated and act like they run the place. Many of the secretaries yell at the teachers and make them feel awful if they ask for extra pencils for their students.

Cons

Where to begin with this unorganized district of power hungry ogres. The teachers are treated like garbage and the secretaries screech into the PA system every morning demanding that teachers cover classes. Teachers are not given clear directions and then they are yelled at for not following the emails that change every hour. There are so many cooks in the kitchen and no one seems to know what is going on. The literacy specialist and other specialist walk around all day on the radio talking and playing around. Staff in the front office throw large birthday parties for the front office staff and do nothing for the teachers birthday except a cheap card, And they wonder where all the money goes. Right! The administration changes so much that the students have no idea who the vice principal or any of the other staff is anymore. Working at a school in CCSD is like working at a Zoo that is out-of-control. The animals are running the place and the administration is playing dictator. No one communicates with each other and no one has any idea what is going on at all.

Get rid of all of your administrators and start over! Start by hiring support staff that is professional and talks to teachers like they are human beings and not garbage. Then, hire someone that knows what they are doing and let them actually start something and follow it through to the end. Stop throwing new programs at teachers every year and then not following through. Make parents provide accurate phone numbers that they can be reached at when teachers need to get a hold of them. Makes parents be involved in their children's education. Provide librarians that actually do more than sit and scan books and gossip all day. In fact, put the librarians back in the classroom and have student aides check out books that would save a ton of money.

It's been an eye opener; coming from the private sector and now working for public It's like the mafia runs the district

Current Employee - Staff Support  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Staff Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your co-workers; the students and benefits.

Cons

Some horrible leadership!! Very "click(ish)".

It's not about you; it's the Students!!! So you want to climb the ladder, but is it for YOU or for the better of the students.

Worked for Clark County School District? Contribute to the Community!