Clark County School District Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • Good benefits; Decent hourly pay compared to other jobs in Las Vegas; Fun work with kids; Summer's off (in 7 reviews)

• Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Your entire life will revolve around test scores (in 5 reviews)

• red tape, 20hr days, low pay (for all that you are required to accomplish), spending (in 4 reviews)

Political changes

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Apparent opportunities within the district.

Cons

It is overall too political to benefit the students. High demands are made on teachers without supplying them with the materials, textbooks, and other necessary supplies.

Advice to Management

Stop changing curricular ideas every 2-3 years. Let the students be taught from a stable curriculum so they can build upon their knowledge. Changing the skill set every few years is not in the best interest of the students. Treat teachers like professionals, and you will see results.

2. CCSD Math Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely high impact work environment

Cons

Extremely stresfull work environment for new teachers

3. Teaching

I have been working at Clark County School District

Pros

Working with kids is great. When they understand something it is a great experience.

Cons

When home life interferes with education it is hard to watch students not achieve their full potential.

Advice to Management

Becoming a great school star at the top going down. Think of the end goal and put a plan in motion to meet the plan.

5. I was sub contractor for Clark County from 2010 to 2014 working as a Sr. COBOL Programmer.

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience I had with Clark County was one of unique experience that I never forget, the environment was great, the supervisor and manager was great, and finally my coworker was great.
    I have done a great job for Clark County and I would like to do it again.

Cons

As you may know in IT department always employee involved with challenges and Clark County was not excluded this challenge ( The programs was the big challenge at the beginning).

Advice to Management

I was involved closely with the management many times, I have help about the solutions and wasy to go arround the situations during the course of my employment with Clark County.

6. Great Company with Great Benefits!

Former Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good Pay, Great Hours

Cons

Hard to move up in company unless you know someone

7. Everyday is a new adventure

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule, choose which schools you work at, what subjects and grades you teach.

Cons

When there is no school, you cant work and therefore you won't have a paycheck; i.e. staff development days, school holidays, etc..
    No benefits.

Advice to Management

You really are your own manager, just be nice and polite when working in different schools and you will have no problems.

8. This is a very large school district, fifth largest in the nation.

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With many schools, there are many job opportunities. The benefits plan is great.

Cons

Sometimes it feels too big. It does not have the same feel as a smaller city school district.

Advice to Management

Teaching is very demanding and is getting more demanding every year with little to no extra compensation for the increase in workload. Admin often has their hands tied when it comes to this, but it would be nice if teachers in the district could be compensated more as their job duties increase.

9. I believe that I am qualified for a high position that I currently hold.

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believe that I have much more to offer that I currently provide.

Cons

Have no comment in this area

Advice to Management

Employees who have higher experience should be allow to contribute at a higher level that I currently contribute.

10. Work Overload

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good continuing education on staff development days. Good network of therapists employed or contracted to CCSD. Therapy materials and test kits available. Good orientation procedures for new therapists. Teachers generally appreciate the contributions of therapists. Days off occur during the summer months and also several weeks during the school year. Medical, dental and other benefits are solid, although not necessarily adequate for all situations.

Cons

Very low pay scale for therapists. Only two supervisors for more than 120 therapists. Too many schools assigned to each therapist. Not enough documentation time, so therapists' paperwork often needs to be done at home after work hours. Early IEP meetings at 7 a.m. or meetings after school dismissal can extend a therapist's work day beyond contracted number of hours (e.g the therapist's schedule for one or more work days in a given week is extended when it is often not possible to arrange to leave early or arrive later to compensate).

Advice to Management

Add supervisors. Raise pay scale in order to recruit more therapists and thus decrease excessive case loads.

Racist school district... If you are "ethnic," good luck!!!

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pro: It was extremely easy to get a job teaching in CCSD; the interview process consisted of current principals at UNLV during the last semester.
    Pro: I loved helping students succeed and realize their true academic potential.

Cons

I felt out of place outside of my classroom because many of my colleagues (and admin) refused to have anything to do with me due to my race. I was always the only "ethnic" teacher in my department and occasionally... the school. The majority of the teachers in this district are white. The majority of the administrators in CCSD are white. Furthermore, the majority of the students who are disciplined are... Hispanic and Black (regardless of the school's demographics).

The majority of teachers who are disciplined for petty findings are.. minorities. There are many cons to working for the Clark County School District... the low pay, harassing work environment, and the racist bigots who are appointed to supervising roles.

If you are interested in teaching for the Clark County School District, please think twice (or thrice) if you are a minority because they will make it incredibly difficult for you to perform your job and make a difference.

Advice to Management

There should be minorities employed in the Affirmative Action department as to not be 'biased' when receiving complaints against racist administrators and their supervisors. This district should also employ more minorities overall (due to the fact that many of the schools in CCSD now have a student population consisting of minorities in the majority) with the exception of the Support Staff roles (there seems to be an abundance of minorities employed in these roles for some "odd" reason).

I actually contacted the Superintendent's office to present my findings of racist/discriminatory practices and they passed me along to another department, who in turn did the same thing! I hope some administrator reads this and changes his/her discriminatory behavior... but I am not optimistic about race relations improving in Clark County School District.

RSS Feed </> Embed