Clark County School District Reviews

Dwight D. Jones

1. Guest teacher

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Clark, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Clark, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students is amazing. Once in a while, I get that "lightbulb moment" from a student and it makes teaching, even as a sub, worthwhile.

Cons

Instability of work. There is no work during school breaks, meaning no pay. At the beginning and end of the school year, work is hard to find.

Advice to Management

Offer benefits and break time work options for subs.

2. I was sub contractor for Clark County from 2010 to 2014 working as a Sr. COBOL Programmer.

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience I had with Clark County was one of unique experience that I never forget, the environment was great, the supervisor and manager was great, and finally my coworker was great.
    I have done a great job for Clark County and I would like to do it again.

Cons

As you may know in IT department always employee involved with challenges and Clark County was not excluded this challenge ( The programs was the big challenge at the beginning).

Advice to Management

I was involved closely with the management many times, I have help about the solutions and wasy to go arround the situations during the course of my employment with Clark County.

3. Great Company with Great Benefits!

Former Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Specialist II in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good Pay, Great Hours

Cons

Hard to move up in company unless you know someone

5. Everyday is a new adventure

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule, choose which schools you work at, what subjects and grades you teach.

Cons

When there is no school, you cant work and therefore you won't have a paycheck; i.e. staff development days, school holidays, etc..
    No benefits.

Advice to Management

You really are your own manager, just be nice and polite when working in different schools and you will have no problems.

6. This is a very large school district, fifth largest in the nation.

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With many schools, there are many job opportunities. The benefits plan is great.

Cons

Sometimes it feels too big. It does not have the same feel as a smaller city school district.

Advice to Management

Teaching is very demanding and is getting more demanding every year with little to no extra compensation for the increase in workload. Admin often has their hands tied when it comes to this, but it would be nice if teachers in the district could be compensated more as their job duties increase.

7. I believe that I am qualified for a high position that I currently hold.

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believe that I have much more to offer that I currently provide.

Cons

Have no comment in this area

Advice to Management

Employees who have higher experience should be allow to contribute at a higher level that I currently contribute.

8. Work Overload

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good continuing education on staff development days. Good network of therapists employed or contracted to CCSD. Therapy materials and test kits available. Good orientation procedures for new therapists. Teachers generally appreciate the contributions of therapists. Days off occur during the summer months and also several weeks during the school year. Medical, dental and other benefits are solid, although not necessarily adequate for all situations.

Cons

Very low pay scale for therapists. Only two supervisors for more than 120 therapists. Too many schools assigned to each therapist. Not enough documentation time, so therapists' paperwork often needs to be done at home after work hours. Early IEP meetings at 7 a.m. or meetings after school dismissal can extend a therapist's work day beyond contracted number of hours (e.g the therapist's schedule for one or more work days in a given week is extended when it is often not possible to arrange to leave early or arrive later to compensate).

Advice to Management

Add supervisors. Raise pay scale in order to recruit more therapists and thus decrease excessive case loads.

Racist school district... If you are "ethnic," good luck!!!

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pro: It was extremely easy to get a job teaching in CCSD; the interview process consisted of current principals at UNLV during the last semester.
    Pro: I loved helping students succeed and realize their true academic potential.

Cons

I felt out of place outside of my classroom because many of my colleagues (and admin) refused to have anything to do with me due to my race. I was always the only "ethnic" teacher in my department and occasionally... the school. The majority of the teachers in this district are white. The majority of the administrators in CCSD are white. Furthermore, the majority of the students who are disciplined are... Hispanic and Black (regardless of the school's demographics).

The majority of teachers who are disciplined for petty findings are.. minorities. There are many cons to working for the Clark County School District... the low pay, harassing work environment, and the racist bigots who are appointed to supervising roles.

If you are interested in teaching for the Clark County School District, please think twice (or thrice) if you are a minority because they will make it incredibly difficult for you to perform your job and make a difference.

Advice to Management

There should be minorities employed in the Affirmative Action department as to not be 'biased' when receiving complaints against racist administrators and their supervisors. This district should also employ more minorities overall (due to the fact that many of the schools in CCSD now have a student population consisting of minorities in the majority) with the exception of the Support Staff roles (there seems to be an abundance of minorities employed in these roles for some "odd" reason).

I actually contacted the Superintendent's office to present my findings of racist/discriminatory practices and they passed me along to another department, who in turn did the same thing! I hope some administrator reads this and changes his/her discriminatory behavior... but I am not optimistic about race relations improving in Clark County School District.

Teachers are overworked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Medical insurance is pretty good.

Cons

This district, does not care about the teachers, and "they" care about the students in name only. If they truly cared, up to date curriculum would be provided, rather than expecting teachers to purchase their own materials or scurrage the internet and print out their own materials. Furthermore, they have no loyalty to the teachers who have served diligently for years. When it serves their purpose, they "target" teachers and set them up for failure. I have seen this happen multiple times in a ten year span.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers like the professionals we are. Most teachers have at least a Master's degree and are very good at what we do. If there are some teachers who need corrective action, then deal with those individually as needed. The entire school district should not be punished because of a few bad apples.. Let us teach, and stop with the endless amounts of paper work that has to be filled out and turned into administration. If you want test scores to increase, supply teachers and students with up to date curriculum, and realize that parents and students are also responsible for the test scores. It is not all the teacher's efforts or lack of efforts that effect those scores. As far as not having the budget to supply up to date curriculum--how about the Superintendent and other higher officials take a major pay cut! Giving teachers a 1% raise in a 3-4 year time period is an insult!

Trying anything to fix the problem.

Current Employee - 8th and 6th Grade English Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - 8th and 6th Grade English Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to work with youth.

Cons

It's a large district and experience varies widely between locations. My issues mainly stemmed from inefficiencies in my classroom and atrocious behavior management. Having said that Clark County is a place for a person that is innovative. Many things are going on to improve the failing education system which is a result of poorly managed growth through the boom years. If you are a dreamer you could probably manage to create something and push it through since people are willing to try anything to fix the problems.
    What are the problems? The same as many public institutions. Lack of clarity and follow through, it's just too big and diverse to be managed successfully.
    I was at Swainston Middle School.

Advice to Management

Split the district.
    Create a teacher training program where teachers are required to be in another teacher's classroom for three years instead of just putting new hires on three years probation when they are hired and giving them way too much responsibility. This training program should look similar to a medical school residency program.
    Incorporate more community members in the everyday teaching process so communities own their schools.