Clark County School District

Add Photos

Dwight D. Jones

Decentralized and Disorganized

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsCCSD provides employees with a good benefits package as well as plenty of time off and medical leave. The district is also invested in making positive changes to the curriculum as well as resources in order to create a better environment for students to achieve.

ConsClass sizes in CCSD are tremendous and teachers are asked to perform a number of redundant administrative tasks. School security is also very poor at many locations and legal documents such as 504s are not provided to teachers in a timely manner.

Working for the school district has been so rewarding!

Office Specialist II (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsI work in the office. I love working for the school district. The pay is good. You get lots of holidays. If you have small children, which I did when I first got a position with CCSD, you will be home when they are off. If you don't care for the job you are in you have a lot of options you can transfer into.

ConsI only work 9 months and don't get paid for my summers off. I either have to save money during the school year or find a 3-month position. When I was married it was fine to have summers off, but being single it is a lot more difficult.

Top notch

5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat benefits. Large district with a small district.

ConsLarge class sizes. Many new roll out programs each yr.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Central Administration

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people,
    working with teachers are the highlight

ConsExpect a lot of cronyism, cliques (like returning to high school as a student)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire on experience not ideology

10 years of pure hell and power tripping administrators who only care about test scores!

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe students are sweet and try to do their work in a horrible school environment. The teachers are awesome and try to be there for each other since administration is working against them at every turn. The secretaries are extremely uneducated and act like they run the place. Many of the secretaries yell at the teachers and make them feel awful if they ask for extra pencils for their students.

ConsWhere to begin with this unorganized district of power hungry ogres. The teachers are treated like garbage and the secretaries screech into the PA system every morning demanding that teachers cover classes. Teachers are not given clear directions and then they are yelled at for not following the emails that change every hour. There are so many cooks in the kitchen and no one seems to know what is going on. The literacy specialist and other specialist walk around all day on the radio talking and playing around. Staff in the front office throw large birthday parties for the front office staff and do nothing for the teachers birthday except a cheap card, And they wonder where all the money goes. Right! The administration changes so much that the students have no idea who the vice principal or any of the other staff is anymore. Working at a school in CCSD is like working at a Zoo that is out-of-control. The animals are running the place and the administration is playing dictator. No one communicates with each other and no one has any idea what is going on at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of your administrators and start over! Start by hiring support staff that is professional and talks to teachers like they are human beings and not garbage. Then, hire someone that knows what they are doing and let them actually start something and follow it through to the end. Stop throwing new programs at teachers every year and then not following through. Make parents provide accurate phone numbers that they can be reached at when teachers need to get a hold of them. Makes parents be involved in their children's education. Provide librarians that actually do more than sit and scan books and gossip all day. In fact, put the librarians back in the classroom and have student aides check out books that would save a ton of money.

OMG!! For Real

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsGood People to work with, Heath Care is OK, retirement is good

ConsNo real structure. Not good to work under people who know not what they are doing. Hours in the classroom with no help, and someone beating you up because you did what they wanted you to do. No protection from parents.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out please, and listen

Sub

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    East Las Vegas, NV

ProsChildren are very sweet and great personal experiences with the children.

ConsWorking with some of the teachers to change for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to voice concerns and work towards change for the future.

It's been an eye opener; coming from the private sector and now working for public It's like the mafia runs the district

Staff Support (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsYour co-workers; the students and benefits.

ConsSome horrible leadership!! Very "click(ish)".

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not about you; it's the Students!!! So you want to climb the ladder, but is it for YOU or for the better of the students.

Not something you would make a long term career

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsDeciding when you want to work and where-depending on what is available-is great, especially if you are a college student. There are some great teachers out there who really make you feel comfortable and help you out if you have any questions about the lesson plans.

ConsOvercrowded classrooms, students do not show substitutes respect, some teachers openly complain about subs within hearing of subs, and lastly, if asked to sub in a class on your prep, you must do it

I would liked working for CCSD and would like to return

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working in Special Education

ConsThere is a very transient population here

Worked for Clark County School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clark County School District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clark County School District CEO Dwight D. Jones. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Clark County School District employees.