Clark County School District

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
2.7

Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • Good benefits; Decent hourly pay compared to other jobs in Las Vegas; Fun work with kids; Summer's off (in 7 reviews)

• Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Your entire life will revolve around test scores (in 5 reviews)

• Read the statistics about how 35% of all teachers have left the field after one year (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

I believe that I am qualified for a high position that I currently hold.

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I believe that I have much more to offer that I currently provide.

Cons

Have no comment in this area

Employees who have higher experience should be allow to contribute at a higher level that I currently contribute.

Work Overload

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good continuing education on staff development days. Good network of therapists employed or contracted to CCSD. Therapy materials and test kits available. Good orientation procedures for new therapists. Teachers generally appreciate the contributions of therapists. Days off occur during the summer months and also several weeks during the school year. Medical, dental and other benefits are solid, although not necessarily adequate for all situations.

Cons

Very low pay scale for therapists. Only two supervisors for more than 120 therapists. Too many schools assigned to each therapist. Not enough documentation time, so therapists' paperwork often needs to be done at home after work hours. Early IEP meetings at 7 a.m. or meetings after school dismissal can extend a therapist's work day beyond contracted number of hours (e.g the therapist's schedule for one or more work days in a given week is extended when it is often not possible to arrange to leave early or arrive later to compensate).

Add supervisors. Raise pay scale in order to recruit more therapists and thus decrease excessive case loads.

Trying anything to fix the problem.

Current Employee - 8th and 6th Grade English Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - 8th and 6th Grade English Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chance to work with youth.

Cons

It's a large district and experience varies widely between locations. My issues mainly stemmed from inefficiencies in my classroom and atrocious behavior management. Having said that Clark County is a place for a person that is innovative. Many things are going on to improve the failing education system which is a result of poorly managed growth through the boom years. If you are a dreamer you could probably manage to create something and push it through since people are willing to try anything to fix the problems.
    What are the problems? The same as many public institutions. Lack of clarity and follow through, it's just too big and diverse to be managed successfully.
    I was at Swainston Middle School.

Split the district.
    Create a teacher training program where teachers are required to be in another teacher's classroom for three years instead of just putting new hires on three years probation when they are hired and giving them way too much responsibility. This training program should look similar to a medical school residency program.
    Incorporate more community members in the everyday teaching process so communities own their schools.

My experience has been great.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Flexibility. Work when you want.

Cons

Working around kids can be stressful sometimes

Slices of pizza should be cheaper

Too many politics, not enough resources, low salary-

I have been working at Clark County School District

Pros

Students are the only thing keeping teachers in the classrooms.

Cons

Politics, parents, low salary, bad budgeting, bad administration, high turnover, low retention

Teacher Beware

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

None ... start off low and stay low.

Cons

Long hours, lack of parental support, and large class sizes. Union is basically worthless, except to take your dues.

None, they don't care ... it is too big a machine.

This organization is top heavy!

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

This organization is top heavy. Too many management types who only seem concerned with their own paycheck and patting themselves on the back. Unrealistic expectations for current employees to constantly fill in for positions that have been eliminated, in addition to their own work.

Stop cutting jobs and expecting others to pick up the slack. Allow people to do the job they were hired for, instead of expecting they regularly do work that is in no way part of their job description.

Happily, Dwight Jones is no longer the Superintendent of Schools for CCSD. Shortly after tremendous salary was paid to him, he broke his contract and left the district. No opinion on the new Superintendent as yet.

Took awhile to get hired but it was worth it

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

I work as a sub so its very flexible but could work everyday based on grade

Cons

wish there were more long term jobs

great district to work for

Hidden agenda- all is not as it is professed to be!

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you live in Las Vegas and need a decent teacher income, it is the only game in town. That being said, I would not recommend working for them as I have seen many great teachers leave and moral is really down.

Cons

Testing is most important, rather than learning. Stress is high at the 7 schools I've had personal experience at in the past 10 years. Teachers are no longer valued as professionals; you must do everything cookie cutter style regardless of experience or expertise. To question the value of new district policies will get you reprimanded. And if you mention contract violation, there is a process to quiet you that fabricates wrongdoing on your part. You can report an unethical boss, but nothing will be done about it.and you will not be afforded the right to transfer, even though the union contract states that you may.

Making it clear that teachers must put up with unethical principals no matter what is poor business practice. Moral is vital and respect should be a part of all interactions with teachers- they are the most important piece of the puzzle! It is well documented that the critical factor in regards to student achievement is the teacher in the room! Retain great teachers by valuing their input and allowing them to have a voice in the teaching and learning process. Bullying is unacceptable. The children matter, and are not to be treated like rats in an experiment.

nope

Current Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the teachers who find a way to make it work

Cons

no meaningful professional development, expectations without adequate support. sometimes it seems even the people above school-level administration don't have the skill sets to coach and support teachers.