Clark County School District

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dwight D. Jones

Pros
  • CCSD provides employees with a good benefits package as well as plenty of time off and medical leave(in 4 reviews)

• Excellent family health insurance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • d) Test scores and data are everything(in 5 reviews)

• Read the statistics about how 35% of all teachers have left the field after one year(in 20 reviews)

Results vs process

Support Contractor (Former Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsThe support from the State Department of Education was appreciated though much of the support was backward looking, by which I mean, after the problems had manifest themselves.

ConsBureaucracy. Now all school districts are going to have issues with bureaucracies. Of all the complaints, this one might be strange, that there was not enough power in the administration so that when principals were wrong or abused discretion, there was no way to get an effective rehearing of the matter at the district level.

Decentralized and Disorganized

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsCCSD provides employees with a good benefits package as well as plenty of time off and medical leave. The district is also invested in making positive changes to the curriculum as well as resources in order to create a better environment for students to achieve.

ConsClass sizes in CCSD are tremendous and teachers are asked to perform a number of redundant administrative tasks. School security is also very poor at many locations and legal documents such as 504s are not provided to teachers in a timely manner.

Working for the school district has been so rewarding!

Office Specialist II (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsI work in the office. I love working for the school district. The pay is good. You get lots of holidays. If you have small children, which I did when I first got a position with CCSD, you will be home when they are off. If you don't care for the job you are in you have a lot of options you can transfer into.

ConsI only work 9 months and don't get paid for my summers off. I either have to save money during the school year or find a 3-month position. When I was married it was fine to have summers off, but being single it is a lot more difficult.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top notch

5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat benefits. Large district with a small district.

ConsLarge class sizes. Many new roll out programs each yr.

Horrible Demands On Teachers - Rampant Cronyism

Teacher (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFifteen accruable sick days off per year.
    Most colleagues want to work hard and make a difference.
    Mobility opportunities.
    Decent job if you are a non-core teacher.

ConsThe first priority of the district is not to educate children, but to keep non admin salaries low. A free and appropriate education is not a high priority.
    Classes are overcrowded.
    Canned curriculum changes every year and lauded as the "new" panacea.
    District does not address the real reasons why students fail and blames teachers.
    Schools and classes are so overcrowded, students are overwhelmed and often feel lost and insignificant. Bullying is rampant because, in part, to low staffing.
    So much emphasis is placed on testing, elementary students are stressed to the point of tears.
    Unrealistic expectations from off-site administrators of classroom teachers
    Teachers are made out to be the villain.
    Teachers have very little control of curriculum decisions.
    Student discipline is not taken seriously by the district.
    Off-site administration places unrealistic burdens on on-site administrators. I've seen well-intentioned people go into administration to make a difference only to be changed, and not for the better. They are always threatened with how "not being a team player" will adversely affect their career trajectory by central district admin.
    Work load is not equitable.
    Union is weak and are bullies. They have a history of cronyism and and a supposed-former administrator who was triple dipping and making money by the truck loads while teachers weren't getting raises. They run the Teacher's Health Trust which is awful. If you get sick outside of Clark County, don't expect them to help you with your medical costs. They charge CCSD $550 per month per employee, plus the employee pays another $50 (unless you want bare bones) and it's the worst coverage I've ever had.
    Not vested in retirement for five years, but half the people quit teaching within the first five years, so lose everything.
    Professional development is horribly unprofessional.
    Teachers are now being evaluated on things beyond their control.
    Low teacher moral.
    High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating teachers like they are the enemy.
    School Improvement Plans are a joke. Ask department teachers what really needs to be done for the students in THEIR school and then DO IT.
    Common Core is bad for students. Advocate for its repeal.
    Quit buying prepackaged curriculum, forcing it on teachers, and them blaming the teacher when it doesn't work. Teachers are professionals with advanced degrees and are the boots-on-the-ground employees. We know what to do; let us, support us, and appreciate the hard work and sacrifices we make.
    Get rid of the teachers who have cronyed their way out of the classroom into a job as a "facilitator" and come back to tell us actual teachers, who have stayed and are there doing the actual work, how to do their jobs. If they were good teachers to begin with, they would not opt out.
    Moral comes from the top down. Be a flagship to the rest of the nation on how to treat employees and you will never have a teacher shortage again.
    Get a cohort of classroom teachers together to write appropriate textbooks and self publish. You don't need a textbook company to sell you overpriced textbooks and consumables. Teachers can do it if you let them. And they will actually align it with the High Stakes Tests.

Central Administration

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFriendly people,
    working with teachers are the highlight

ConsExpect a lot of cronyism, cliques (like returning to high school as a student)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire on experience not ideology

OMG!! For Real

Teacher (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGood People to work with, Heath Care is OK, retirement is good

ConsNo real structure. Not good to work under people who know not what they are doing. Hours in the classroom with no help, and someone beating you up because you did what they wanted you to do. No protection from parents.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out please, and listen

10 years of pure hell and power tripping administrators who only care about test scores!

Teacher (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe students are sweet and try to do their work in a horrible school environment. The teachers are awesome and try to be there for each other since administration is working against them at every turn. The secretaries are extremely uneducated and act like they run the place. Many of the secretaries yell at the teachers and make them feel awful if they ask for extra pencils for their students.

ConsWhere to begin with this unorganized district of power hungry ogres. The teachers are treated like garbage and the secretaries screech into the PA system every morning demanding that teachers cover classes. Teachers are not given clear directions and then they are yelled at for not following the emails that change every hour. There are so many cooks in the kitchen and no one seems to know what is going on. The literacy specialist and other specialist walk around all day on the radio talking and playing around. Staff in the front office throw large birthday parties for the front office staff and do nothing for the teachers birthday except a cheap card, And they wonder where all the money goes. Right! The administration changes so much that the students have no idea who the vice principal or any of the other staff is anymore. Working at a school in CCSD is like working at a Zoo that is out-of-control. The animals are running the place and the administration is playing dictator. No one communicates with each other and no one has any idea what is going on at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of your administrators and start over! Start by hiring support staff that is professional and talks to teachers like they are human beings and not garbage. Then, hire someone that knows what they are doing and let them actually start something and follow it through to the end. Stop throwing new programs at teachers every year and then not following through. Make parents provide accurate phone numbers that they can be reached at when teachers need to get a hold of them. Makes parents be involved in their children's education. Provide librarians that actually do more than sit and scan books and gossip all day. In fact, put the librarians back in the classroom and have student aides check out books that would save a ton of money.

It's been an eye opener; coming from the private sector and now working for public It's like the mafia runs the district

Staff Support (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsYour co-workers; the students and benefits.

ConsSome horrible leadership!! Very "click(ish)".

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not about you; it's the Students!!! So you want to climb the ladder, but is it for YOU or for the better of the students.

Sub

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) East Las Vegas, NV

ProsChildren are very sweet and great personal experiences with the children.

ConsWorking with some of the teachers to change for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow staff to voice concerns and work towards change for the future.

Worked for Clark County School District? Contribute to the Community!