Clark's Shoes

Updated November 23, 2014
2.9

Clark's Shoes CEO Melissa Potter
Melissa Potter

Pros
  • Discount, PTO, Vaca, Good product (in 5 reviews)

• Decent training and safe working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only 3 full time people on the store, the manager, the assistant manager and the key holder associate (in 6 reviews)

• MINIMUM 44 hours/week for full time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The best retail sales experience ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Clark's Shoes part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They reward you with excellent benefits and decent pay. It is a great experience and they teach you the basics of selling shoes.

Cons

On very slow days you don't make much money and your salary is based on commission.

Raise the wages a little.

Love my job but getting exhausted

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Clark's Shoes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great. The company has great intentions. Many people I know have been with the company for a very long time. I am a long time employee

Cons

No life outside of work. Traveled meetings set up without enough notice. They are working through changes and there has been some hiccups along the way

Have better communication with the stores

False promises, excessive responsibilities for low pay

I have been working at Clark's Shoes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You meet hard working people who are more then qualified to became manager. Who usually accepted the job because they had the false promise of a future management position.

Cons

CLARKS store is always short in people to work, due to the fact they pay NO salary for the sales associate, commission ONLY, the associates make an average of $8 per hour. They have a Manager who they promise $35,000. annually but ends up that they make only around $22,000. annually, because they are paid $5. per hour plus commission, and they have to compete with the associates on the sales floor, besides all the managerial responsibilities. The manager, assistant manager and key holder also have to clean the bathrooms, windows, open boxes, clean stock room, etc. There are only 3 full time people on the store, the manager, the assistant manager and the key holder associate. They all have to work at least 44 hours weekly but end up working 50+ hours and because they must work in no productive commissioned hours (time when there is no much business) most the time they make less then $10. per hour. The district manager do not care if the manager is tired or not, they only care if the store is open and running in a profitable way.

Value the great helpers that come across you and have the decency of pay a dignify salary. Do not promise then management position if there is only one manager on each store, which most the time is already filled. Keep your manager out of the responsibility of competing on the sales floor. Hire a clean Co. Let your sales experts focus on SALES only, not cleaning and closing and open the store. You do make enough money for that.

Never been so stressed

Current Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX

I have been working at Clark's Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, vacation, sick days, computer loan program, commission is great during the holidays, and a couple upper management employees

Cons

Required to work 44 hours, even if your full time you don't really get paid nothing but commission so don't expect much when business is slow, the store managers at both of the stores I worked at always had an excuse NOT to move me up, my manager always overlooked hard work and my willingness to do all that I can for the understaffed store

Pay more attention to the employees who have stayed and committed to you rather than those who have only worked for you a short time and giving them raises. Bring back our base pay and lower the pay plan so we can make money and pay our bills!

key holder

Former Employee - Key Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Key Holder

I worked at Clark's Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great product, good clientel,easy to sell

Cons

over promise and no delivery, as far as advancement goes,

be straight forward, dont tell people what the want to hear just to keep them there

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Clark's Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upward growth and great training, also great employee discounts

Cons

A lot is changing and things were really great when I started.

worst job ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Clark's Shoes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

clean environment, sweet assistant manager,

Cons

horrible pay, bad management, very rude manager.

I was told i would be making at lest 13 dollars a hour but even though i was the best part time sales-men i was only making 7 a hour.

the manger of the store was rude and very arrogant, he would send me home early for making a mistake, and say very offensive things to me in front of other workers, he never aloud me to even enplane myself, and want i would ask to give in my vacation request they would not even be looked at or considered

i was always in the back cleaning and organizing never give a chance to make more sells, i would even go as far to say i was working for free.

Grueling hours, high expectations

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Clark's Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits! You pay partial on your med benefits. Each store is an island more or less, so there is room for good people to develop a great atmosphere! Great, fast vacation accrual.

Cons

Grueling hours, lots of physical up and down, no sitting for 13 hour shifts at times. Short notice for new promotions. ...like any retail environment. Way too many blackout dates for vacation time.

Plan better or provide payroll so the short notice floor sets can be established while still providing great customer service. Consider raises more often.

Clark's Outlet New Orleans- Not worth it...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Clark's Shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy Job. $9 an hour for retail. Not bad.
    Good beneits if you can get full time but that is impossible because all sales positions are part time. The management team is clueless. It's a brand new store, open less than a month.

Cons

This is a part-time job only... averaging 15 hours a week.
    The only three people who will be getting full-time hours are the 2 managers and lead salesperson.
    This is a brand new store. I was on the opening team.

I was told by the manager, after receiving a schedule with only 13 hours on it, that the company has it set up to only give the managers 40 hours and everyone else will get 25 or less but never more. The 3 other employees reveived less than 20 hours as well, while the manager, assistant manager, and lead salesperson had 44 hours each...

Sales floor work scedules were as follows:
    1st week 30 hours (store opening)
    2nd week 30 hours
    3rd week 25 hours
    4th week 24 hours
    5th week 13 hours... I quit

This scheduling pattern was consecutive with all three of the other sales floor employees. I also found it very odd that I was the only person who showed up for all of my shifts, never called off, and was never late more than a minute or two.... but I got my hours cut the most. Each and every one of the other employees had no call no showed (some multiple times) or called in about 30 minutes prior to the shift started. Some we're missing for days. One went to jail for a week.. Lol.

On the day that I quit, the manager told me that I was negative and that's the reason why my hours were cut so drastically... which was weird because she had also told me that everyone's hours were being cut. I looked on the schedule and everyone's hours were cut except the manager. I didn't understand why other people's hours would be cut so drastically (if it was due to me being negative) until I realized that she had hired two new people and each gave them over 20 hours. I guess that was to bait them in.

I am a tell-it-like-it-is person. I guess she confused the truth with negativity.

She actually had the nerve to tell me that she did not expect this job to be anyone of tge salespeople's main source of income. Excuse me? Isn't this her main source of income???

There is also a back door exit that leads out to the river walk pier and NO CAMERAS in the store. Deduce what you will from that.

Please do not use employees. Not allowing sales people to get full time status and scheduling people for four hours a day for 3 days a week will never get you quality workers who care about their jobs.

Upper management stinks

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Clark's Shoes (more than an year)

Pros

I was an assistant store manager and the pay overall was ok provided I did not have to do any work off the floor. ASM is a 60% commission base so if you want to make money you need to sell. Does not really allow you to manage your business basically your a glorified sales person.

Cons

pay compensation base + commission, upper management is a joke at least in Colorado.

Stand back and observe the whole sale and not just a small fraction before stating that people are not doing there job.

Clark's Shoes Photos