Clark's Shoes

Clark's Shoes CEO Melissa Potter

Melissa Potter

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsUpward growth and great training, also great employee discounts

ConsA lot is changing and things were really great when I started.

worst job ever

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosclean environment, sweet assistant manager,

Conshorrible pay, bad management, very rude manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was told i would be making at lest 13 dollars a hour but even though i was the best part time sales-men i was only making 7 a hour.

the manger of the store was rude and very arrogant, he would send me home early for making a mistake, and say very offensive things to me in front of other workers, he never aloud me to even enplane myself, and want i would ask to give in my vacation request they would not even be looked at or considered

i was always in the back cleaning and organizing never give a chance to make more sells, i would even go as far to say i was working for free.

Grueling hours, high expectations

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits! You pay partial on your med benefits. Each store is an island more or less, so there is room for good people to develop a great atmosphere! Great, fast vacation accrual.

ConsGrueling hours, lots of physical up and down, no sitting for 13 hour shifts at times. Short notice for new promotions. ...like any retail environment. Way too many blackout dates for vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better or provide payroll so the short notice floor sets can be established while still providing great customer service. Consider raises more often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best retail sales experience ever

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey reward you with excellent benefits and decent pay. It is a great experience and they teach you the basics of selling shoes.

ConsOn very slow days you don't make much money and your salary is based on commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the wages a little.

Clark's Outlet New Orleans- Not worth it...

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsEasy Job. $9 an hour for retail. Not bad.
    Good beneits if you can get full time but that is impossible because all sales positions are part time. The management team is clueless. It's a brand new store, open less than a month.

ConsThis is a part-time job only... averaging 15 hours a week.
    The only three people who will be getting full-time hours are the 2 managers and lead salesperson.
    This is a brand new store. I was on the opening team.

I was told by the manager, after receiving a schedule with only 13 hours on it, that the company has it set up to only give the managers 40 hours and everyone else will get 25 or less but never more. The 3 other employees reveived less than 20 hours as well, while the manager, assistant manager, and lead salesperson had 44 hours each...

Sales floor work scedules were as follows:
    1st week 30 hours (store opening)
    2nd week 30 hours
    3rd week 25 hours
    4th week 24 hours
    5th week 13 hours... I quit

This scheduling pattern was consecutive with all three of the other sales floor employees. I also found it very odd that I was the only person who showed up for all of my shifts, never called off, and was never late more than a minute or two.... but I got my hours cut the most. Each and every one of the other employees had no call no showed (some multiple times) or called in about 30 minutes prior to the shift started. Some we're missing for days. One went to jail for a week.. Lol.

On the day that I quit, the manager told me that I was negative and that's the reason why my hours were cut so drastically... which was weird because she had also told me that everyone's hours were being cut. I looked on the schedule and everyone's hours were cut except the manager. I didn't understand why other people's hours would be cut so drastically (if it was due to me being negative) until I realized that she had hired two new people and each gave them over 20 hours. I guess that was to bait them in.

I am a tell-it-like-it-is person. I guess she confused the truth with negativity.

She actually had the nerve to tell me that she did not expect this job to be anyone of tge salespeople's main source of income. Excuse me? Isn't this her main source of income???

There is also a back door exit that leads out to the river walk pier and NO CAMERAS in the store. Deduce what you will from that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not use employees. Not allowing sales people to get full time status and scheduling people for four hours a day for 3 days a week will never get you quality workers who care about their jobs.

Upper management stinks

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI was an assistant store manager and the pay overall was ok provided I did not have to do any work off the floor. ASM is a 60% commission base so if you want to make money you need to sell. Does not really allow you to manage your business basically your a glorified sales person.

Conspay compensation base + commission, upper management is a joke at least in Colorado.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand back and observe the whole sale and not just a small fraction before stating that people are not doing there job.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proswork-life balance, very flexible. perfect for working part-time

Conschange in paid policy to maximize their profit. no room for advancement. no promotion

Advice to Senior Managementincentive!

Slow but fun

Salesperson (Former Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsManager was awesome! Coworkers are nice, you get to know the customer's needs and meet them from around the world

Conscommission only, no base pay

Advice to Senior ManagementCould use a base pay for part timers

Not the best, not the worst

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-big staff, mostly friendly
    -good employee discount

Cons-commission-based salary which is hard on slow days. I worked at the Boston store which is one of the busiest and even sometimes we had hours at a time where only a few customers would come in and buy something.....I was told that the comparable hourly rate was around $15/hour which was only the case sometimes...otherwise you're basically making minimum wage

-managers big on pushing you to reach numbers

-thrown into it on your first day, which can be seen as either a pro or a con, but it is definitely overwhelming to be on the floor and have to bring out 4 shoes to every customer when you aren't familiar with the inventory

Job Review - Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsFriendly atmosphere most of the time

ConsIt is a retail job.

Worked for Clark's Shoes? Contribute to the Community!