Clarke Environmental Reviews

Reset
3.7
John L Clarke III

1. Interesting Experience

I worked at Clarke Environmental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting people and very friendly environment. You get to drive around all day and work at your own pace.

Cons

Sweaty, long hours, work based on weather, labor intensive.

2. Great and fun job summer job!

Former Employee - ATV Night Shift in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - ATV Night Shift in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

A lot of fun if you like nature and atv's.

Cons

Working the graveyard shift. This company is not a company I would look to stay long term. Just a fun temporary job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

3. The worst company I have ever worked for.

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time

Pros

Everything required for your job is essentially paid for by the company.

Corporate side seems to be on the same page with setting goals, meeting deadlines and budgeting accordingly. But not on the same page with the operational side.

Family oriented and driven company.

Paid/off holidays, and a paid winter break.

Cons

The operational side. Especially upper management.

Over-worked, under-paid, micromanaging and treated like a high school environment. These are just some of things that can describe the way Clarke's operational management treats their full-time, salaried employees.

Clarke's operational management will expect their salaried employees to work hours on end (50-60+ hours a week, including nights) in their busy season with no paid over-time, and 40 hours a week in their "off-season." No balance what so ever and unrealistic expectations. The off-season can be described as one of the most unprofessional and boring experiences of my life: They will expect you to come up with projects and ideas on your own to work on but then ridicule or force you to work on their own projects. This is a perfect example of micromanaging.

There are a lot of "cliques" at this company, so if you don't fit in quickly they will make sure to either blackmail or force you out to another position or out of the company in general. It has happened to a number of employees.

You will be expected to work a very strict 7am-4pm schedule in the off-season (very slow and not much going on) with no flexibility.

Clarke's operational management will only use negative reinforcement with your job performance throughout the year. You will never hear how good of a job you are doing or a thank you until you receive your yearly review. In which by that point, will be irrelevant. You will be treated like a child at times and have no flexibility when it comes to the slow, boring, off-season as mentioned above.

The sales staff you work with very closely will at times be extremely unprofessional and selfish. They are paid by commission and will do everything they can to avoid having their reputation affected by you or your technicians by not making any direct contact with their customers unless necessary or instructed to do so. They will go to the extreme with customer complaints from your technicians and not weigh in all the facts surrounding the circumstance. The sales staff will also be extremely rude and unprofessional to you when they receive such complaints instead of calmly explaining the situation.

So, if you are looking for a dead end job in business operations, a position that holds extremely high standards/expectations which doesn't pay accordingly to experience or education, a position with no advancement until 5-7 years later while still making the same very low pay, and/or if you're a person with no career goals or ambition, then Clarke's operational side is for you.

Overall, the corporate side seems to be the way to go. The operational side of the company needs work, especially with upper management. At this point, if you are still interested in working for this company, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND working for the operational side until changes are made.

Advice to Management

Want to hold extremely high standards and expectations to your employees? No problem, but I would pay your employees accordingly.

Eliminate "cliques" and focus on including EVERYONE in your "team." Be more flexible with your employees, especially in the off-season when it is slow and there is not much going on.

Provide positive reinforcement when applicable to your employees and eliminate the constant negative feedback.

Following this simple advice will eliminate your high turn over rate of employees and in the long run give your company success and "team" a much better diverse group of skilled and educated employees.

5. Great Company

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

A progressive and environmentally responsible company definitely worth checking into.
    Friendly work place and promotes eating healthily and locally.
    Strong sense of community and family.
    Opportunities for volunteering and community outreach are always available.

Cons

I do not have any cons to offer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. Solid Market, Good People

Former Employee - Control Consultant
    Former Employee - Control Consultant

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers were Great. Solid Employees

Cons

CEO inconsistent in direction and often changes direction or focuses on sustainability issues that are not important to the business.

7. Great Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay. Enjoyed the environment and the people. Paid training and it was a nice job to show up to. Stopped working only because the season ended.

Cons

Didn't work in the rain. Since we sprayed repellent, we didn't work while it was raining or gong to rain. Usually not an issue but sometimes when we get bad weather for extended times it put a damper on pay.

8. Challenging time at this company

Former Employee - Control Consultant in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Control Consultant in Boise, ID

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good steady industry, great customers, and great employees.

Cons

Many management turnovers. Top managers not always in-touch with employees or industry.

9. This Job Will Eat You Alive

Former Employee - Field Technician in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a former Field Technician the only pro I can think of is having Fridays off.

Cons

Where to begin. The pay is a pathetic $10/hr to start for getting eaten alive by mosquitoes all day, trudging through swamp land and densely wooded forests and avoiding poison ivy. Not to mention driving your own vehicle racking upwards of 80 to 100 miles each day and tons of wear and tear that Clarke won't cover. The measly mileage reimbursement won't even cover all of your gas, so be prepared to pony up your own cash to cover fuel expenses. The optional medical coverage is a joke! I wish I never opted for it. I could have saved that money and bought a summer's worth of band-aids and aloe. If you have half a brain then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Why not raise the mileage reimbursement and the minimum hourly rate? Oh, I forgot..... the Clarke fat cats need to pay for their mansions and BMWs off the backs of the plebes working for them.

10. A Great Hands-On Experience Kind Of Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Field Supervisor in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Field Supervisor in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work--was relatively straightforward, and could easily be accomplished, as long as you paid attention to what you were doing.

Management--My boss was awesome, she was laid back, easy to speak to, very informative, and very willing to make sure you understood the task at hand. Her boss was equally as great; a real personable guy, who loved to joke around. He was full of stories and could teach you a lesson without you really realizing it!

Culture--All the people you have the potential to meet, and everything there is to learn is almost overwhelming, but not overwhelming enough to be a negative.

Compensation--The pay was hourly, so, even if you had to work a longer shift you were definitely getting compensated for your time.

Overall--What I really loved about this job was that the work I was doing was beneficial to the community, all the while, environmentally friendly and, for the most part, sustainable.

Cons

Long hours--As the Field Supervisor, I suppose this is a given, especially with all the responsibilities I had. There definitely will be long days, but with proper time management and organization, you can definitely clock out at a reasonable hour. PLUS, the position was hourly, so, I was still compensated for my time.

Seasonal Staffing--The operation is reliant on seasonal staff, which means you get all sorts of characters applying for the job. Be ready to adapt to all kinds of personalities.

Advancement--Unless hired directly to corporate, or to their office in Chicago, I don't believe there is much room for advancement.

Seasonal--Unfortunately/fortunately, prime mosquito season is during the summer. So, that means unemployment throughout the winter, which can be difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

The management in Virginia know what they're doing. The 'cons' discussed above are pretty much out of their control.

11. A satisfying temporary summer job outdoors

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

It can be a surprisingly fun and satisfying job- while helping to control a legitimate public health threat you get paid a decent wage (11.00/hour) and receive a state registered technician pesticide license which can potentially help you to obtain future pest control jobs.

The work is relatively straightforward, you use either a truck, or combination of truck and bicycle to toss packets of a biological pesticide into catch basins/storm sewer drains. You work largely on your own, can test out new methods to increase productivity, and you get to know places in your community that you never knew existed (great job for explorative types).

Cons

It ends very quickly. It can also be mentally draining to constantly battle traffic/bad drivers on busier routes. Waking up at 5 a.m., and working during 90+ degree days in high humidity could be an issue for some. If you are not a fan of running around swamps, (which is usually optional) potentially rainy/rainy days can cut back on the amount of hours you work a week (as you generally do not treat catch basins on or after overly rainy days)

Advice to Management

Make the trucks and bikes more easily identifiable as mosquito control vehicles and equip each technician with a company issued photo id stating who they are and what they are doing. Encourage more potential career growth for returning employees. Clarke has a great work environment with sincere and helpful full time employees- however often there seems to be a need for more people working overall and a need for greater inclusion of seasonal employees into the larger Clarke workforce.

RSS Feed </> Embed