Clarke Environmental Reviews

4.1
John L Clarke III

1. Great Company

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

A progressive and environmentally responsible company definitely worth checking into. Friendly work place and promotes eating healthily and locally. Strong sense of community and family. Opportunities for volunteering and community outreach are always available.

Cons

I do not have any cons to offer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Interesting Experience

I worked at Clarke Environmental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting people and very friendly environment. You get to drive around all day and work at your own pace.

Cons

Sweaty, long hours, work based on weather, labor intensive.

3. Great and fun job summer job!

Former Employee - ATV Night Shift in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - ATV Night Shift in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

A lot of fun if you like nature and atv's.

Cons

Working the graveyard shift. This company is not a company I would look to stay long term. Just a fun temporary job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

5. Solid Market, Good People

Former Employee - Control Consultant
    Former Employee - Control Consultant

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers were Great. Solid Employees

Cons

CEO inconsistent in direction and often changes direction or focuses on sustainability issues that are not important to the business.

6. Great Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay. Enjoyed the environment and the people. Paid training and it was a nice job to show up to. Stopped working only because the season ended.

Cons

Didn't work in the rain. Since we sprayed repellent, we didn't work while it was raining or gong to rain. Usually not an issue but sometimes when we get bad weather for extended times it put a damper on pay.

7. Challenging time at this company

Former Employee - Control Consultant in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Control Consultant in Boise, ID

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good steady industry, great customers, and great employees.

Cons

Many management turnovers. Top managers not always in-touch with employees or industry.

8. This Job Will Eat You Alive

Former Employee - Field Technician in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Roselle, IL

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a former Field Technician the only pro I can think of is having Fridays off.

Cons

Where to begin. The pay is a pathetic $10/hr to start for getting eaten alive by mosquitoes all day, trudging through swamp land and densely wooded forests and avoiding poison ivy. Not to mention driving your own vehicle racking upwards of 80 to 100 miles each day and tons of wear and tear that Clarke won't cover. The measly mileage reimbursement won't even cover all of your gas, so be prepared to pony up your own cash to cover fuel expenses. The optional medical coverage is a joke! I wish I never opted for it. I could have saved that money and bought a summer's worth of band-aids and aloe. If you have half a brain then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Why not raise the mileage reimbursement and the minimum hourly rate? Oh, I forgot..... the Clarke fat cats need to pay for their mansions and BMWs off the backs of the plebes working for them.

9. A Great Hands-On Experience Kind Of Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Field Supervisor in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Field Supervisor in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at Clarke Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work--was relatively straightforward, and could easily be accomplished, as long as you paid attention to what you were doing. Management--My boss was awesome, she was laid back, easy to speak to, very informative, and very willing to make sure you understood the task at hand. Her boss was equally as great; a real personable guy, who loved to joke around. He was full of stories and could teach you a lesson without you really realizing it! Culture--All the people you have the potential to meet, and everything there is to learn is almost overwhelming, but not overwhelming enough to be a negative. Compensation--The pay was hourly, so, even if you had to work a longer shift you were definitely getting compensated for your time. Overall--What I really loved about this job was that the work I was doing was beneficial to the community, all the while, environmentally friendly and, for the most part, sustainable.

Cons

Long hours--As the Field Supervisor, I suppose this is a given, especially with all the responsibilities I had. There definitely will be long days, but with proper time management and organization, you can definitely clock out at a reasonable hour. PLUS, the position was hourly, so, I was still compensated for my time. Seasonal Staffing--The operation is reliant on seasonal staff, which means you get all sorts of characters applying for the job. Be ready to adapt to all kinds of personalities. Advancement--Unless hired directly to corporate, or to their office in Chicago, I don't believe there is much room for advancement. Seasonal--Unfortunately/fortunately, prime mosquito season is during the summer. So, that means unemployment throughout the winter, which can be difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

The management in Virginia know what they're doing. The 'cons' discussed above are pretty much out of their control.

10. A satisfying temporary summer job outdoors

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

I worked at Clarke Environmental

Pros

It can be a surprisingly fun and satisfying job- while helping to control a legitimate public health threat you get paid a decent wage (11.00/hour) and receive a state registered technician pesticide license which can potentially help you to obtain future pest control jobs. The work is relatively straightforward, you use either a truck, or combination of truck and bicycle to toss packets of a biological pesticide into catch basins/storm sewer drains. You work largely on your own, can test out new methods to increase productivity, and you get to know places in your community that you never knew existed (great job for explorative types).

Cons

It ends very quickly. It can also be mentally draining to constantly battle traffic/bad drivers on busier routes. Waking up at 5 a.m., and working during 90+ degree days in high humidity could be an issue for some. If you are not a fan of running around swamps, (which is usually optional) potentially rainy/rainy days can cut back on the amount of hours you work a week (as you generally do not treat catch basins on or after overly rainy days)

Advice to Management

Make the trucks and bikes more easily identifiable as mosquito control vehicles and equip each technician with a company issued photo id stating who they are and what they are doing. Encourage more potential career growth for returning employees. Clarke has a great work environment with sincere and helpful full time employees- however often there seems to be a need for more people working overall and a need for greater inclusion of seasonal employees into the larger Clarke workforce.

11. Seasonal Job...it is what it is.

I have been working at Clarke Environmental

Pros

Very easy job to do. Maps are issued to employees, survey the maps, then treat the areas catch basins with brickets. Simple job, even though some people manage to get fired because they chose to take advantage of the company.

Cons

Trying to survey maps on a very busy streets.

Advice to Management

E was the best manager ever. I hope that she succeeds in life and in her career. Keep doing what you are doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed