Clarks

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Clarks CEO Melissa Potter

Melissa Potter

Excellent Company For What It Is

Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Lynnwood, WA

ProsThe ability to earn above your base salary via sales commission is extremely nice. I highly enjoy being able to utilize the back room as a means to decompress from frustrating situations. It makes it a lot easier to give the customers 100%.

ConsThe people you work with will make or break the experience. Some of the work is tedious (It's retail, get over it!). The training is extremely lax. It's a sink or swim environment where only the best get acknowledgement. The competitive atmosphere can be seen as a positive or negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not pay part-time sales associates commission, have them instead work sales support so that the store can run more effectively.

One of the best retail companies for which to work!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsClarks has fantastic benefits and compensation. Many managers work on commission, either based on individual sales, or a percent from the total sales volume of the store. Being compensated based on how well you do your job can be a little intimidating at first, but if you work hard, and use the training tools that are easily available, you'll be very successful! As a store manager, you'll have close contact with your District Manager who is a great resource for tough questions. If you are relocatable, there are lots of opportunities for you! Clarks really invests in their employees. It's refreshing!

ConsThe 44 hour work week can be a little daunting, but isn't as bad as some other retail companies require. There are really no raises in the retail environment. The only way to get a raise is to move stores, get promoted, or beat your sales goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your ground troops. There is a new focus on really listening to the retail store managers and making changes based on what they need in order to do their jobs better. This is a fantastic direction to take in the ever-changing retail environment!

Was great...5 years ago.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Newton Upper Falls, MA

ProsGreat work/life balance, excellent health benefits, free & discounted shoes.

ConsWay too much upper management, no leaders, parent company makes it tough for us here in the USA to succeed again. Company recently upgraded to SAP and didn't have a single clue how to manage it. Complete chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people who are already senior level executives, and start taking care of the little people who actually make things happen.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked at Clarks for many years.

ProsYour job is secure as long as you do it and don't screw up. Also the health benefits are top notch.

ConsNo real room for advancement if you aren't in the good ole boys/girls club. No pay raise incentives for those not in a full service commission environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne or two liars working together can ruin great employees careers.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsUnfortunately, I don't have many positive thoughts to express on this company. There was absolutely no support from the district and regional levels, training and development was an afterthought. Employees were not paid an hourly wage, just commission. Impossible to stay up to date on tasking unless you were working ungodly hours as a manager and doing everything yourself.

ConsNo work life balance. No incentive for hourly associates to assist in tasking. Impossible to plan your weeks in advance as shipment just shows up without any forewarning. Managers need to be salaried, rather than working for commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold district and regional managers accountable. (my DM went an entire year without visiting my location) If I asked for assistance with product or anything in general I would not get a response. There was no hope of advancing in the company. Office operates from an ivory tower.

Ready to compromise your principles?

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are only pros if you have a good DM and if you keep your mouth shut and offer no opinions. If they like you you can't get fired. I've seen people steal from the company and break policy and only get a slap on the wrist. I've also seen people get fired for the silliest things just because they were not liked.

ConsExtremely micromanaged. Store managers are merely glorified sales associates with a target on their backs. They treat customers like they're stupid. They call it customer service but they just dumb down customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to force the old fraternity RM's out with their sexist and vulgar way of doing business. They need to evolve their outlook on what makes a good, healthy work environment. They need to update their training program. Stop paying liked store managers extra for simply putting a check mark on a paper when we send them paperwork. It's a useless position, area control manager. Glorified paper chaser.

Wonderful place to work for!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsCompetitive commission job environment, great management, opportunity for raises, and a phenomenal product and company

ConsYou need to be good at selling, many employees quit because they cannot sell, however the product is excellent and in my opinion easy to sell

AWESOME

Pensaukee, WI

ProsFamily oriented, love for all employes understanding upper management.

Conspay sometimes isn't to great standards but i always believe you need to work for what you want.

Advice to Senior Managementdo not let your employees take any inches run a tight ship but have appropriate fun

Misconception

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsGood Shoes and Deals.
    Great Team atmosphere.

ConsSalaried is never what it says online.
    I was hired full time and never given the hours.
    They say salary online at about 30k but only really pay you minimum wage.
    Management steal sales from you also.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying.

Great company and people to work for

ProsEveryone is friendly and hardworking

ConsThe company is moving away from their small business culture and more torward a corporate culture

Worked for Clarks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clarks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clarks CEO Melissa Potter. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Clarks employees.