Clas Ohlson Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
1.7
CEO

1. terrible company

I have been working at Clas Ohlson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

free fruit, tea and coffee, cakes

Cons

pretty much ditto all of the negative comments made previously..poor care and training support. Management incredibly inept. Rude managers, bossy and expect you to know things when you have never been trained! So much to know and so little training! Still only had 4 hours since starting.

too many people working too few hours...

the store layout is dangerous! like a maze..never find anything in its correct position. not enough space for wheelchairs to pass certain areas and prams....

Advice to Management

training is needed

2. Sales Assistant, good benefits but sometimes feel very out of depth

Former Employee - Sales Person in Dudley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Dudley, England (UK)

I worked at Clas Ohlson part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a sales assistant job. Earned £7,12 in my first year at only 16 years old. Free tea, coffee, squash and snacks to enjoy on breaks

Cons

Asked so many questions from customers such as a really specific part to a drill and I was expected to know the answer. Also expected to know how to fix faulty products.

Advice to Management

Product training is essential

Lazy management and bitchy staff!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Clas Ohlson part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every hour your doing something different which makes your shift go faster.

Usually the company buys food for the staff room

Cons

Management team is terrible. None of them talk to each other resulting in a poorly run shop. They all think they do a good job however no ones really sure what they do, since they sit in their offices all day. Because of this they are never on the shop floor to support and advise the staff when needed. They are very unapproachable and lack any sort of people skills.

Head office staff say they are very approachable and to pop by their desk whenever, however majority of staff have no access to their offices to approach them about any problems.

Rotas are appalling. Takes over 4 hours to do one weeks worth of rotas. Also not very flexible with hours unless you are apart of a select few within the team who seems to get time off whenever they want. Very unfair.

'Appraisal' consisted of everything that should be done better and no actual praise.

Very two faced staff, no one ever has anything good to say about the 'team'.

Staff complain about everything within the company however no one is willing to do anything about it or formally complain. Although I complained to head office a few months back and nothing was done about it so I can understand the lack of motivation when nothing is done.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees!

Terrible terrible TERRIBLE!

Former Contractor - Seasonal Customer Service Assistant in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Clas Ohlson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Allotted tasks, so every few hours you would be doing something different.
    Easy interview process.
    HUGE range of stock, from drills to mirrors to USB's to speakers.

Cons

Beyond hectic atmosphere, verging on crazy
    Rude customers
    Weird atmosphere in the store
    The WORST training I have ever received, trained me on absolutely everything (including tills, ordering supplies, the products, the store plan, code of conduct, stock room and eveything else under the sun) in about 4 hours. A massive amount of information to take in, then left by myself to deal with customers with no one to help me.
    Had no idea who my supervisors/managers were
    Incorrect training as I later found out on my first day
    Bitchy staff
    Terrible management
    Stockroom was a giant maze of a mess
    So much variety on stock, it was chaotic
    The store was such a maze that you would go to get something for a customer in the stockroom then they would walk off and you wouldn't find them again.
    Just a mess of a store.

The WORST and most DISORGANISED company I gave ever encountered. AVOID!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Sort out the training, it was absolutely abysmal
    Improve on casually everything, and that's not even me bring vague

6. Quite a mundane retail experience, tries to be different but fails to implement core values talked about in training.

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Clas Ohlson part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learnt a lot of product knowledge and about the company, company ethos very good.

Cons

Management structure was terrible, delegation of tasks poor, chain of command confused, managers were hardly seen on the shop floor, and liasing with them was difficult.

Advice to Management

To implement the values taught in training on the shop floor, more word than action going on.

7. Not your ordinary shop!

Current Employee - CO-Worker in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CO-Worker in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Clas Ohlson

Pros

Job rotation keeps the day interesting and varied. Fresh fruit everyday to encourage healthy eating.

Cons

Although there are team briefings every morning, it is quite easy to be out the loop if you are not a full timer. Information regarding regarding new opportunities/ promotions etc is not always filtered down to everyone. No real career advancement opportunities. And the stock room is a nightmare, more likely to win on the lottery than find what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

More effective communication- consider sending a weekly email with the plan of the week and any upcoming changes etc so that everyone is on the same page.

Training opportunities offered to all staff not just a select few. Do not assume that people will not be interested.

Consider a more effective stockroom solution and price checking facilities, maybe handheld devices.