ClassWish Reviews

1. Great opportunity for those looking for first job experience

Former Intern - Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked during the summer as a Business Development intern trying to develop a scrip program to get fundraising for schools. I think the idea was great and it was all for a good cause in the end. This task involved a lot of responsibility trying to contact several merchants willing to participate in the program as well as finding the right tech partner to provide the platform for website users.
    - Overall, you get to to learn on how to develop a business project, how to organize yourself, and also work on your "soft skills" when trying to contact other people within the business.
    - Robert, the co-founder of ClassWish, has knowledge and experience in many different fields so he's always available to provide tips and advice on best ways to develop a project, and best ways to explain the project's mission to outsiders
    - Get to meet other interns who might be working different areas but overall have the same mission as yours. You might meet interns from other states or countries, and from many different areas of study like marketing, accounting, sports science, communications, information systems, etc.
    - Flexible schedule and casual clothing, you make your own schedule and no need to dress formally.

For students looking to get some experience before going on to a real job in their field, it does provides a good way to start your professional career.

Cons

- This internship is not for everyone. It does require putting effort on your own and trying to make things happen. People who need constant supervision or reminders of their tasks might not find this the best fit.
    - The internship is unpaid, for students who need to get some income because of traveling/books/living expenses, this won't be good news.
    - You do need to bring your own laptop, most students nowadays already have one or can borrow from school. Some might complain for the extra carriage.

I think Robert Tolmach is an entrepreneur with lots of great ideas, lots of energy and plenty of knowledge. Nevertheless, he's the only one in charge of all projects, working with interns in Marketing, Social media, Ventures, Accounting, Graphic Design, Sports, etc. It's hard for one person to keep track of all these projects and all the interns working on it. I really think he needs someone to assist him with the management of all these tasks if ClassWish is going to accomplish all of its ambitious goals in the near future.

2. Intern Life

I worked at ClassWish

Pros

The culture was great. Fellow interns where excellent co- workers.

Cons

The interns are they only people who work there besides the founder. He does very little to provide guidance. Often spent whole days doing nothing

If you are not going to pay for employees with money, you need to pay them in actual experiece

3. Terrible experience :(

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish

Pros

The only pros were nice colleagues. It is very sad but it is true :( My advice: find some other company to get work experience.

Cons

I really believe that those long positive reviews were written by CEO himself and it is a big delusion. (Example: “Great opportunity for those looking for first job experience ”.) First, I got to know his style and second, nobody would ever write such a positive review after an experience there :p I don't wanna repeat what has been said already. A very clear and precise overview depicts the review from Mar 23, 2014: “Stay far, far away ”. You should read this first.

The worst shock I have had in this company: THE ISSUE WITH RESTROOMS. There was a restroom on the our floor. We shared it with the other non-profit organization. We had only one key and guess what! CEO didn't want to share it with the rest of employees :D Instead, he told us to go to the lobby of hotel, stayed in queue (sometimes for 15 minutes) and asked for a hotel restroom card. Card usually expired in two days. A receptionist didn't understand why we required those cards as we were not customers. We had to discuss this issue with receptionists again and again. It was really awful to beg for this card. One of them lost her patient and phoned to hotel manager to discuss it with him. It happened to me and my Chinese friends several times that we came to the restrooms in basement and the restroom card was not working anymore. We got back to the lobby but the queue was so long that we rather went to a restroom in Manhattan Mall.
    I think that this attitude of the boss describes everything. You can make your own conclusion how much he cares about you and how demotivated it is to work in such a environment.

Visit other non-profit organizations, talk to them, see how they are working and implement it.
    Care much more about people around you. Take different opinions and criticism as a way to improve.

Fraud

Former Intern - Former Intern
    Former Intern - Former Intern

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I have nothing nice to say about this place.

Cons

No real work given out. You spend the day creating fake accounts for the website. I have yet to see a package sent out to the schools or teachers that classwish claims to be helping. Something is off with this guy and he seems like a fraud.

You are a fraud and get a real job.

6. Awesome Internship !

I worked at ClassWish

Pros

I interned at ClassWish from last September to November, and worked on a wide variety of things, including research, strategy, presentations, and the like. It was a complete dream and a great experience. Everyone was so pleasant and helpful. I felt welcomed, not like the "new kid on the block." There are interns there from all over the world with many different ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and that diversity makes it an even more exciting place to work.

It feels great getting up every day knowing that I’m in some way helping to supply less fortunate kids with what they need for school, which is what ClassWish is all about. Something that I really dug was that you were able take on as much responsibility as you could handle, which is AWESOME for us high-energy types. That makes it a great opportunity to learn a lot.

I learned so many new things. The number of useful skills that I gained at ClassWish was amazing and they're extremely marketable, which I have not encountered to this degree interning elsewhere. So if you're looking to use skills that you already have and gain some new ones, I highly recommend ClassWish.

The cream on top though, is a boss who wants to make sure that everyone has a great experience and learns a lot. Robert Tolmach (who was my boss), was one of the most approachable people that I have had the pleasure of working with. No matter how busy this guy got (and trust me, he was always very busy) he always took the time out to answer any questions or concerns that anyone had, and to explain what was going on. It was like a private tutorial from someone with lots of very impressive professional experience (check out his Linkedin page).

At the end of the day, this is without a doubt the kind of environment that I had hoped to find for an internship and that I hope to find again when I finish school.

Cons

internship had to come to an end :(

Please keep up the good work.

7. Much to gain!

Former Intern - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is passionate about the company's mission to provide teachers in need with the proper supplies to educate the next generation. A friendly work environment with endless possibilities (if you know what your doing). I knew what I wanted to do and accomplish durring the internship. The CEO assigned tasks to me that would help me accomplish those goals and even allow me to implement an accounting system as I expanded upon those tasks. I've learn a lot from this internship and would recommend it to anyone that is active, motivated, and want to make a difference.

Cons

Unpaid internship, but a great place to start. You need to bring your own laptop to work, but you get the software you need free of charge.

8. A great place to intern if you are the right sort of person

Former Intern - Nonprofit in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Nonprofit in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This was a GREAT internship. I have had half a dozen internships, and I have never before had this level of responsibility. I plan to come back next summer and know that several of my peers will do the same.

Here is what made it such a positive experience for most of us:
    • A really important mission. What could be better than helping millions of kids get a better education!
    • An entrepreneurial environment. This isn’t for everyone, but if you are creative, like to take initiative, and want to make things happen, there is no limit to what you can do. Here are the sort of things we did as interns summer of 2014: create a video to have play in Times Square, create a new set of banner ads, re-design the logo, re-design the website, line up celebrities to lend their voice, use an ecommerce program to create an online bookstore, recruit the participation of big companies, take on broad research projects, conceive and create a program for international virtual interns, or do accounting.
    • If you have an idea, you can run with it and get all the support you need.
    • Lots of areas to focus on: we could all choose to focus on any school subject (art, music, sports, science, etc.) or any discipline (graphics, social media, research, accounting, communications, or whatever).
    • Diverse group: we had interns from all over the U.S. and around the world. It was geographically, racially, and ethnically diverse. And the interns had diverse skills in everything from writing to design to research, as well as interests in everything from art to sports, so there is plenty of opportunity to learn from them.
    • Collegial: some days I brought my lunch (there is a frig and a microwave) and ate with other interns. Some days we went out for lunch. Some of us also got together after work. Most of us made some new friends from all over the world.
    • Convenient location – right across from Penn Station
    • Spacious offices. It is an old building so it is not fancy, but the space is clean and there is lots of room. By the way, the building (not ClassWish) locked the bathrooms on the floor for a few weeks of renovation. We used the downstairs bathrooms, which were just an elevator ride away. So what.
    • The good group and the amount of space made it easy to grab a few people, grab a conference room and brainstorm whatever you are interested in.
    • Flexible dates: start when you are available and stay until you have to leave for school or whatever.
    • Good Founder: the co-founder, Robert Tolmach, has a diverse background in architecture, real estate, investment banking, environmental cleanup, and entrepreneurial ventures. That makes him a great person to learn from. He is very generous with his time, will explain the background, seek your input, and consider your ideas. He won’t always accept them, but he will listen and tell you why, which is all I could ask for. He was also very supportive and helpful when I asked for a recommendation letter for a program at school. When I interviewed, he said he wanted everyone to make a difference, to assume responsibility, to learn a lot, and to have a good time. I got all of that.
    • A good indicator of how much many interns liked the experience was that several gave Robert a present when they left: a necktie, a cool Chinese pen, lots of cards. I don’t have much money, so I gave him a card, which he seemed to really appreciate. I’m not saying you should spend money. I’m just saying how much lots of interns liked the experience and Robert.

Here is what I did to check out ClassWish before I accepted an offer, and I suggest you do the same if you are interested:
    • Ask yourself if you are really the entrepreneurial sort who wants to take responsibility and make things happen. The job postings all say this is not the place for people who just want to be given tasks. If you are the sort who wants to be told what to do every five minutes this may not be the place for you.
    • Visit the offices (or send someone who lives in NYC if you are out of town)
    • Ask Robert or whoever is heading HR now to introduce you to a bunch of former interns and ask them about their experience -- don’t rely on anonymous posts from people who may have been fired (just saying). I got a list of six former interns and spoke to three of them. All of them said they said they got a lot of responsibility, got to do a lot, learned a lot, and were treated well. I’m glad I took the time to do that and glad that listened to them because I had the same experience. After getting a rave from the first three of them, I figured that was enough.
    • Ask to see some of the work product, presentations, etc. to see if you like the standards at ClassWish (I sure do, and I hope you do, too--especially if you see what I worked on!).

Cons

Well, it is unpaid but that is sort of the norm for nonprofits, isn't it?
    You need to bring your own notebook computer, but that is no big deal. Glad to help.
    Most of the other interns are really great, but there were a few with a sense of entitlement or no work ethic. They tend not to stay long.

Some things can be pros or cons, depending on your personality. If you like to take initiative and make things happen, the flexibility and freedom are wonderful. But if you are used to being in a lecture hall and want to be told what to do constantly, this might not be the place for you.

One thing that would make the place better is better screening of the applicants. I guess about 20% of the interns are awesome, 60% are good, 10% are pretty mediocre, and 10% just shouldn’t be there. You can see some of that latter group below, including one who I know got fired. I know they hire a lot of people and it is hard to really figure out how someone will be in just one interview. Maybe Robert can get more interns to talk to each person who applies and really figure out who is going to be a good fit. There are certainly some students who should not have been hired. Do yourself a favor, if you are an ‘A’ student and creative and want responsibility and if you care about helping kids in life, then talk to other real people who have interned there and check it out. But if not, then you should know it is not for you and find something else.

WORST INTERNSHIP EVER

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

No one, it was the worst internship ever. I am a French student, it was my first experience abroad and it was awful. I left the company two days after I started. Robert Tolmalch is a selfish, egocentric man, and very mean too! And I'm not sure that his association is legal. Anyway, don't do your internship there, it was a waste of time and money. The only thing positive was to meet two interns who were very nice !

Cons

First, the office was dirty, no one cleans it. Then, I did nothing, I asked him to have my friday afternoon to visit New York and have some time to work on my memory, he said no you can work the week ends and on the evenings, he wanted me to work 40H a week because he told me we had a lot of works to do ( wasn't true at all), first day I did nothing except looking for a font... I let you imagine.
    HE was mean, never explain anything ( i still don't understand what he's doing all day...) because he doesn't use the work he gave us ( by work I mean the researches he wanted us to do about I don't know). Anyway, worst internship ever, He didn't introduce you the offices, the interns, the restrooms ( lol big joke he locked the restrooms of the office and if you want to go to the restrooms you have to take the elevator and go downstairs... I think that he's living in the office because some of the doors were locked and behind his office there is a door, I think he made a little room there with a handmade shower ( ewww) Never seen that in my whole life.
    You have no benefits, you have to bring your own computer, own food ( don't do that, I am sure that the fridge is not clean at all.
    To resume, i was so disappointed and so upset that I pretented to not understand English and he spoke to me like I was a stupid girl, I am sure he is a racist too. He treated the Asian interns like slaves ans he spoke really badly to them.

I ended the internship just 2 days after the beginning, I sent him an email to explain the situation he never answered ( and it was a polite email), he's so rude, mean and everything bad, he doesn't know anything about marketing, financial or anything about a company, he lives in his little world and I hope that someone will close this association for good !

The website of classwish with the positive reviews is a lie, I am sure that Robert Tolmach wrote it himself because nobody can say that Classwish was a good experience, it is not true.

Please do something to close this association, I don't know if it is really legal.

10. good

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at ClassWish as an intern

Pros

The place is really convenience, and it is good for Long island people to work there. The location is so good. The culture is relaxing. You can wear casual.

Cons

Unpaid job and no benefit. You need to pay everything yourself. No one teach you how to work, so you need to figure everything by your self.

Complete Mess

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ClassWish as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Free time to do whatever you want. Aside from that, there really is nothing good about the company.

Cons

You learn absolutely nothing. They get way too many interns and just have them do nothing. Literally nothing, not even clerical work. So the internship is unpaid and you learn absolutely nothing. Worst place I've interned at ever.

Actually have projects or something for the intern to do. When you have 20 interns who have absolutely nothing to do for several weeks and just sit there, there is something wrong.