ClassWish

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Tolmach

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe place is really convenience, and it is good for Long island people to work there. The location is so good. The culture is relaxing. You can wear casual.

ConsUnpaid job and no benefit. You need to pay everything yourself. No one teach you how to work, so you need to figure everything by your self.

Complete Mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree time to do whatever you want. Aside from that, there really is nothing good about the company.

ConsYou learn absolutely nothing. They get way too many interns and just have them do nothing. Literally nothing, not even clerical work. So the internship is unpaid and you learn absolutely nothing. Worst place I've interned at ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually have projects or something for the intern to do. When you have 20 interns who have absolutely nothing to do for several weeks and just sit there, there is something wrong.

Stay far, far away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot one pro. I'm serious.

ConsEXPERIENCE:
    ClassWish is run by one man, and one man only and has been since its inception in 2008. This man, Robert Tolmach, directs an ever-changing group of interns who enter and exit ClassWish through a perpetually revolving door. He has no staff and seems to value the quantity of interns over the quality of them as individuals. Because of this, individual skills are never utilized and no one feels connection to the cause in a capacity that makes them want to work to promote it. There are so many interns that you rarely see the same intern twice and many of them do not speak English (they are lovely European college students who he has manipulated into getting their visa and coming to the United States for the purpose of the internship). There was even a site created by some of these European students dedicated to discouraging other European students from being tricked into making the same mistake. When I was there, Tolmach mentioned that someone had posted a poor review of ClassWish online which he "couldn't understand" and thought was "absolutely crazy." This lack of self-awareness is one of his many fatal flaws, and you will suffer for it.

THE OFFICE SPACE:
    The office space, which has been graciously donated to him, is huge and right across the street from Madison Sq Garden/ Penn Station. However, the place is in a state, as he appears to live there. The water from the tap comes out grainy and undrinkable, the trashcans are never emptied and always overflowing, and it is overall depressing and disgusting.

THE WORK (OR LACK THEREOF):
    Tolmach is absent-minded, egotistical, and, it appeared to me, delusional. He has grand ideas which he will assign to you as a "project" to pursue. For example, he asked me to work on getting Beyonce to place an ad for ClassWish in Rolling Stone Magazine. This made no real sense in terms of branding (why would Beyonce want to align her brand with a long-term education charity?) and was near impossible to even begin to work on (where and how does one start on such an endeavor??).
    Furthermore, he will assign the same project to three or five people, then forget who he assigned it to. Then he will call you in to his cubicle to discuss for two to three hours that same idea you have already been assigned. This conversation will leave you in the same confused and exasperated state as when you walked in. Frustrated by this way of working, I eventually began to walk in to such meetings (which happen once or twice daily) will bullet points of what I thought I was to work on. I would then review these points with him and ask him for more concrete points to work on for the remainder of the day. Despite my insistence, these points never materialized. If they did, they were repetitive and incongruous - "find musical artists that we want to work with" or "could you interview these new fashion interns for me?" This way of working cultivated confusion among interns, resentment towards him, and, most importantly, a lack of progress on any and every front.
    In the six weeks I interned at ClassWish as an intern, I was asked to recruit new fashion interns, edit images in an already existing powerpoint presentation, and accompany Tolmach to one meeting with an executive which he managed to set up through a family connection and which produced nothing. I literally did nothing else but futz around on my computer and question my time there.

COMPENSATION:
    No pay, no travel stipend, no free lunches, no snacks, no office supplies, nothing. Once he had us go buy 2 pints of ice cream because it was someone's birthday.

BOTTOM LINE:
    At ClassWish I learned close to nothing and didn't feel respected as someone dedicating their time to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am shocked that this gained and retains 501(c)3 status. It should be shut down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally poor experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Amazing interns to work with; all of them are bright and engaging
    - Convenient location

Cons- Boss is very slow and a poor manager of people
    - The work is not challenging in any way
    - You will learn basically nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns projects and follow through with them, don't just sit there and pretend they know what they should be doing

Learn a lot

Bookkeeper Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe working place is really convenience, it is just opposite to Pen Station and you can learn a lot from CEO. You can also get a reference letter from the CEO if you do a good job.

ConsUnpaid jobs and no benefit. You could not even get a free lunch or a free drink there. You have to take your own laptop to work there. Most work are boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a little bit benefit to interns and buy some laptops for them to work.

Book keeping intern. Also help with other projects

ProsUse your own initiatives to learn, work and make friends. You can make a difference to execute a project with groups of people. Lots of discussion. Direct communication with the boss

ConsSometimes you may find people losing their passion. More ways to help interns to get to know the function of his work

Advice to Senior ManagementTo organize weekly or monthly meeting of all interns to communicate with each other information of projects undergone

Worked there as a summer intern.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, and good people

Conslack of supervisor and barely any team work

Run, don't walk.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you end up getting on Robert's good side (and that is not easy, he's irrationally picky and subtly racist) you can make a lot of the internship for use in a future interview.

ConsClasswish is run by one man. He works you relentlessly, makes absurd demands, and never follows up on things he asks you for. Egotistical and delusional.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't hire fifty interns with no other supervision.

Warning (Internship)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty easy work, and you are able to work off your computer.

ConsThis company seems to hire you as an intern, gets you to do a project, and after you're finished with a project, they do not contact you back.

Worked for ClassWish? Contribute to the Community!