Classic Components

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Klein

Entrepreneur Opportunity for the Self Motivated

ProsCreative freedom. Treat you like an adult. Flexible environment. If you can truly be your own boss and have serious drive then you can do well here. They are always looking for the next big idea and will support creativity.

ConsYou really have to be motivated. If you are the type that needs a boss to remind them to be on time then you need not apply. You will not find much in the way of direct management. Depending on your personality and skill set, this can be a great advantage or the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus!

You have to fight tooth and nail with corporate to make a deal happen.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to make lots of money when a shortage happens. Hasn't happened in a while though.

ConsPay structure was terrible. The competition between the branches and the clear special treatment to a select few. Old school mentality that favors transactional revenue vs really building long term relationships. Never felt comfortable with the structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are only as good as your sales team. A happy team that is rewarded for efforts will go a long way. More autonomy for the individuals that show they can sell and be compensated properly

Unethical

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsYou can do whatever you want because you can't get fired.

ConsVery unethical company. They won't pay out your vacation hours unless you ask for it. Managers/Owners are never there. They smoke in the office. If you don't ask for insurance, they won't give it to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a management team in place who wants to manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Realization and Truth

ProsI have been with Classic for over 4 years and was very encouraged and full of energy in the first two years but in the last two years, the company has been through dramatic changes in employees and management. It is a great entry level company and that is it.

It is a debt free company as well however I have not seen the current employees that have been employed 6-20+ years with many positives since I arrived.

ConsBecause Classic is privately owned and privately funded, the salary and promotion process does not follow the normal or regular process. It took over a year for me to get a $2 raise and that was with constant reminders to management. I'm sure if I did not push the issue, it would of been delayed much longer.

Old database from 1985 - DOS which you will find yourself using the F-keys frequently. Company has not advanced technologically to the level of it's competitors.

You can be a manager when you serve 5-6+ years or when the current managers retire.

Extremely high employee turnover...resignations or terminations, especially in the sales department. Unless you've been with the company for 16+ years and know components well, sales/purchasing in the electronic components field appear to be difficult for any new sales associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have managed your senior staff much better and made critical decisions regarding technology early on. Now you are playing catch up when the race has already started several laps ahead of you. No matter how much you "re-evaluate" and "reinvent", the process for growth to a successful and profitable level is greater than the number of years the company has "laxed" on the important and very critical infrastructure decisions. You want Classic to be better?
    1) Fix your IT DEPT and MIS DEPT and get rid of the blue screen because this will increase the flow of information to every department ...upgrades are urgent and important.
    2) Encourage your current staff, give raises and praises to the RIGHT people. They are loyal to the company and will probably be happier, healthier, and more efficient when money goes back to them, NOT hiring 20 more NEW employees only to reduce to 2 after 6-8months later.
    3) Terminate problem staff that has not contributed in the last 10 YEARS! They have not helped NOW and in the PAST so they certainly will not help in the FUTURE.

Lastly, the company has leaders that work especially hard and are extremely devoted, do not exploit their devotion so they can clean up messes that upper management has allowed. You will certainly loose your best employees that way.

Classic will be better when it's origins change and evolve and when it can understand how to prioritize and manage great employees.

Nice people and family oriented atmosphere.

Buyer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFlexibility in many ways (work hours, location, pay). Willing to let you do your own thing if you produce the numbers they are looking for.

ConsTraining was poor when I started but getting better by the time I left. Systems are outdated and company doesn't buy stock.

Worked for Classic Components? Contribute to the Community!