Classified Ventures

Classified Ventures Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2014

Classified Ventures President and CEO Dan Jauernig

Dan Jauernig

Pros:
  • "The company is respectful of work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The wonderful culture and people are unmatched"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salaries are competitive, but I think most people come to work here for a great work-life balance not for high salaries"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Upper management who is out-of-touch with the real business needs"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Work

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAbove average benefits, great work culture and people you will work with. Lots of talent here and opportunities for advancement.

ConsSome difficulties with upper mgmt and too many people can work on one project so no real ownership. Benefits are good but salaries are lower than would be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your people to have more ownership of a project. Try harder to keep the good people when you have the opportunity

Great culture, great people, lots of opportunities

Product Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture at Classified Ventures is the best I've ever experienced. I started at an intern, and I felt valued from my very first day. The culture is very positive, the people are truly dedicated to their work.

ConsIt's a large organization, and sometimes it's difficult to get things done, or truly understand what department does what.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open forum discussions would help get multiple departments on the same page.

CV will surprise and impress you with their corporate culture

Ad Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are numerous reasons to work at CV, both seen and unseen. The benefits, bonuses and STIPs are good as well as regular company-wide meetings that keep employees in the know. I feel appreciated as an employee and there is a positive atmosphere here that makes you want to do your best. Suburbanites who live in the suburbs and feel the grind of commuting long hours will be glad to know of the Work From Home program.

ConsA young company may not be for everyone. Many company sponsored social outings and co-ed sport leagues are all city-centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best part of working at CV is the openness and humility of upper management I've experienced working under some incredibly smart leaders. I've never felt closed off or shut out and always felt my work was valued.

Definitely pros and cons for working for this company

I worked at Classified Ventures

ProsPros is the spirit and culture of Classified Ventures. You're allows to innovate and work on unique initiatives.

ConsCons is how they discriminate against older employees and push them out of the company.

I worked for CV 7 years+ over 8 years ago and it had a big impact on my career. Its a great place to work

I worked at Classified Ventures

ProsGreat leadership, great people, big digital company in the midwest, great products

ConsSometimes the newspaper ownership can slow things down

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going fast; infuse some independent board membership

Great culture, great people, and a handful of terrible middle-management.

I worked at Classified Ventures full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat location, ideal demographic for young adults, very good benefits.

ConsMy pay was garbage because of the 'great' benefits. Zero work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management/supervisors of certain departments are horrendous people, and even worse leaders. Some of them were promoted to Supervisor after barely a year of entry level work because of his history with his boss, meanwhile much more qualified people who have been there for 7 or more years still sit in the same position.

If I knew the tragic wretch of a boss I was going to have I NEVER would've taken the job. It is simply amazing what some people will do with the smallest bit of power, and it is these bitter middle-management denizens who simply glide under the radar and commit heinous acts (firing someone out of spite, denying someone's bonus, blaming his own mistakes on his team so they take the fall, etc.) I don't need to even explain the inaccuracies of his direct reporting to the VP--senior management wears blinders and middle management fills their ears and heads with false information.

When I thought I hit rock bottom this guy always found a shovel. Luckily what with apartments.com selling and cars.com being put up, CV will dissolve--and I will smile imagining my old boss trying to find new employment with his attitude. No one to promote him beyond his ability, poor guy.

I would not recommend working here unless you can watch people take credit for your work and ream you for other people's mistakes. They do not even acknowledge cost of living merit increases--they can straight up deny you your entire raise if your boss is a good enough liar with paper trails.

Great place to start but pay is on the lower scale

Support Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of creative people and it is a good place to build up your skills and business acumen.

ConsThe pay is average to just below depending on job roles.

Great culture

Professional Front End Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work culture, flexible hours, good people.

ConsNo real cons that I can think of at this time.

Very unorganized IT department, little room for creativity or advancement in QA

I worked at Classified Ventures full-time for more than a year

ProsGood location in Downtown Chicago
Coworkers friendly and cooperative for the most part
Salary on par

ConsOverbearing, Micro-managers on some teams
Work situation worsened with move to Agile with some people having two managers
Inappropriate behavior allowed in workplace by some managers
Huge turnover in QA staff due to ever changing rules, job responsibilities and inept managers

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Managers need to keep close eye on their direct reports to ensure appropriate and professional behavior is in place.

Innovative company with great career opportunities

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've stuck around here because the people are great and if you work hard there's opportunity to really grow your career. The office environment is fun and light, but also pretty fast paced. It's getting bigger, so you could get lost in the shuffle, but if you want to be a part of something fun it's certainly worth it.

ConsA lot of the cons have been addressed in the last year, they've addressed work from home, flexible hours and more involvement in the community. The office is a bit drab, could use some upgrades.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rest, we're profitable, but could get bigger

Worked for Classified Ventures? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Classified Ventures reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Classified Ventures CEO Dan Jauernig. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Classified Ventures employees.