Classified Ventures

Updated September 12, 2014
3.5

Classified Ventures President and CEO Dan Jauernig
Dan Jauernig

Pros
  • A vision for work-life balance with options to work remotely (in 10 reviews)

• The wonderful culture and people are unmatched (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are competitive, but I think most people come to work here for a great work-life balance not for high salaries (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management who is out-of-touch with the real business needs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work with great people

I worked at Classified Ventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nicest people you'll ever work with.

Cons

Folks should be paid more - under market value.

Typical corporate, cold-hearted money grubbers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Classified Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The HR lady is a nice lady, and very smart. Not your typical HR person. This was a very welcome touch; usually HR is the bane of a potential employee's existence.

Cons

Company does not have flexible policies for real life. Need to work from home because the cable guy gave you a 10 hour window? Too bad, and even if you do, when you come back, for the next few weeks everyone will just shake their head at you like you did something terrible. Have a family member die, but you're the only one who knows how a certain product works, because the co-workers on your team haven't been pulling their weight (they were working on their own side companies outside the main business, during company hours)? You'd think they'd tell you to take all the time you need. Instead, it was more shaming, and a "be sure to bring your laptop; we'll probably need you to work while you're there"... AT THE FUNERAL.

Worst part of all is, the branch was managed by a non-technical manager. A manager that didn't know how to write code, read code, or understand anything we were doing. Tried suggesting Scrum, respone: "nah, we don't have time for that stuff". It was all, scribble his ideas on paper, and you build it. Terrible management. Then the general manager leaned on the engineers to do most of his job because he was non-technical and had no clue what was going on.

Implement Agile and Scrum project management frameworks. Make senior engineers product managers and project managers. Especially if your current managers are completely non-technical.

More importantly, improve work life balance. You have a revolving door there, and it's not a coincidence. Fix the former issues, and the work/life balance will practically fall into place.

CV

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work life balance, fun, fast paced, flexible hours, average pay

Cons

sometimes a little too political...more higher ups then needed

be the trend setter, not the follower...what others are doing is not always the right fit

Underestimating Hours/Conflicting Direction

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Classified Ventures as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A vision for work-life balance with options to work remotely.

Cons

Conflicting direction given on projects and the additional hours that could have been avoided; micro-management; prompt, top-priority project turnarounds are still not viewed as good enough.

Get a better sense of scope; have project managers align on direction instead of the start/stop/re-do culture we experienced. Thanks for your attention.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Above average benefits, great work culture and people you will work with. Lots of talent here and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Some difficulties with upper mgmt and too many people can work on one project so no real ownership. Benefits are good but salaries are lower than would be expected.

Allow your people to have more ownership of a project. Try harder to keep the good people when you have the opportunity

Great culture, great people, lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Classified Ventures is the best I've ever experienced. I started at an intern, and I felt valued from my very first day. The culture is very positive, the people are truly dedicated to their work.

Cons

It's a large organization, and sometimes it's difficult to get things done, or truly understand what department does what.

More open forum discussions would help get multiple departments on the same page.

CV will surprise and impress you with their corporate culture

Current Employee - Ad Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ad Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Classified Ventures full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are numerous reasons to work at CV, both seen and unseen. The benefits, bonuses and STIPs are good as well as regular company-wide meetings that keep employees in the know. I feel appreciated as an employee and there is a positive atmosphere here that makes you want to do your best. Suburbanites who live in the suburbs and feel the grind of commuting long hours will be glad to know of the Work From Home program.

Cons

A young company may not be for everyone. Many company sponsored social outings and co-ed sport leagues are all city-centric.

The best part of working at CV is the openness and humility of upper management I've experienced working under some incredibly smart leaders. I've never felt closed off or shut out and always felt my work was valued.

Definitely pros and cons for working for this company

I worked at Classified Ventures

Pros

Pros is the spirit and culture of Classified Ventures. You're allows to innovate and work on unique initiatives.

Cons

Cons is how they discriminate against older employees and push them out of the company.

I worked for CV 7 years+ over 8 years ago and it had a big impact on my career. Its a great place to work

I worked at Classified Ventures

Pros

Great leadership, great people, big digital company in the midwest, great products

Cons

Sometimes the newspaper ownership can slow things down

Keep going fast; infuse some independent board membership

Great culture, great people, and a handful of terrible middle-management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Classified Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, ideal demographic for young adults, very good benefits.

Cons

My pay was garbage because of the 'great' benefits. Zero work life balance.

The middle management/supervisors of certain departments are horrendous people, and even worse leaders. Some of them were promoted to Supervisor after barely a year of entry level work because of his history with his boss, meanwhile much more qualified people who have been there for 7 or more years still sit in the same position.

If I knew the tragic wretch of a boss I was going to have I NEVER would've taken the job. It is simply amazing what some people will do with the smallest bit of power, and it is these bitter middle-management denizens who simply glide under the radar and commit heinous acts (firing someone out of spite, denying someone's bonus, blaming his own mistakes on his team so they take the fall, etc.) I don't need to even explain the inaccuracies of his direct reporting to the VP--senior management wears blinders and middle management fills their ears and heads with false information.

When I thought I hit rock bottom this guy always found a shovel. Luckily what with apartments.com selling and cars.com being put up, CV will dissolve--and I will smile imagining my old boss trying to find new employment with his attitude. No one to promote him beyond his ability, poor guy.

I would not recommend working here unless you can watch people take credit for your work and ream you for other people's mistakes. They do not even acknowledge cost of living merit increases--they can straight up deny you your entire raise if your boss is a good enough liar with paper trails.

Classified Ventures Photos