Classified Ventures

Classified Ventures Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Classified Ventures President and CEO Dan Jauernig

Dan Jauernig

Pros
  • A vision for work-life balance with options to work remotely(in 10 reviews)

• The wonderful culture and people are unmatched(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries are competitive, but I think most people come to work here for a great work-life balance not for high salaries(in 5 reviews)

• Upper management who is out-of-touch with the real business needs(in 4 reviews)

CV

Prosgreat work life balance, fun, fast paced, flexible hours, average pay

Conssometimes a little too political...more higher ups then needed

Advice to Senior Managementbe the trend setter, not the follower...what others are doing is not always the right fit

Underestimating Hours/Conflicting Direction

Senior Writer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA vision for work-life balance with options to work remotely.

ConsConflicting direction given on projects and the additional hours that could have been avoided; micro-management; prompt, top-priority project turnarounds are still not viewed as good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better sense of scope; have project managers align on direction instead of the start/stop/re-do culture we experienced. Thanks for your attention.

Great Place to Work

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbove average benefits, great work culture and people you will work with. Lots of talent here and opportunities for advancement.

ConsSome difficulties with upper mgmt and too many people can work on one project so no real ownership. Benefits are good but salaries are lower than would be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your people to have more ownership of a project. Try harder to keep the good people when you have the opportunity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, great people, lots of opportunities

Product Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture at Classified Ventures is the best I've ever experienced. I started at an intern, and I felt valued from my very first day. The culture is very positive, the people are truly dedicated to their work.

ConsIt's a large organization, and sometimes it's difficult to get things done, or truly understand what department does what.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open forum discussions would help get multiple departments on the same page.

CV will surprise and impress you with their corporate culture

Ad Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are numerous reasons to work at CV, both seen and unseen. The benefits, bonuses and STIPs are good as well as regular company-wide meetings that keep employees in the know. I feel appreciated as an employee and there is a positive atmosphere here that makes you want to do your best. Suburbanites who live in the suburbs and feel the grind of commuting long hours will be glad to know of the Work From Home program.

ConsA young company may not be for everyone. Many company sponsored social outings and co-ed sport leagues are all city-centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best part of working at CV is the openness and humility of upper management I've experienced working under some incredibly smart leaders. I've never felt closed off or shut out and always felt my work was valued.

Definitely pros and cons for working for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPros is the spirit and culture of Classified Ventures. You're allows to innovate and work on unique initiatives.

ConsCons is how they discriminate against older employees and push them out of the company.

I worked for CV 7 years+ over 8 years ago and it had a big impact on my career. Its a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat leadership, great people, big digital company in the midwest, great products

ConsSometimes the newspaper ownership can slow things down

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going fast; infuse some independent board membership

Great culture, great people, and a handful of terrible middle-management.

(Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat location, ideal demographic for young adults, very good benefits.

ConsMy pay was garbage because of the 'great' benefits. Zero work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management/supervisors of certain departments are horrendous people, and even worse leaders. Some of them were promoted to Supervisor after barely a year of entry level work because of his history with his boss, meanwhile much more qualified people who have been there for 7 or more years still sit in the same position.

If I knew the tragic wretch of a boss I was going to have I NEVER would've taken the job. It is simply amazing what some people will do with the smallest bit of power, and it is these bitter middle-management denizens who simply glide under the radar and commit heinous acts (firing someone out of spite, denying someone's bonus, blaming his own mistakes on his team so they take the fall, etc.) I don't need to even explain the inaccuracies of his direct reporting to the VP--senior management wears blinders and middle management fills their ears and heads with false information.

When I thought I hit rock bottom this guy always found a shovel. Luckily what with apartments.com selling and cars.com being put up, CV will dissolve--and I will smile imagining my old boss trying to find new employment with his attitude. No one to promote him beyond his ability, poor guy.

I would not recommend working here unless you can watch people take credit for your work and ream you for other people's mistakes. They do not even acknowledge cost of living merit increases--they can straight up deny you your entire raise if your boss is a good enough liar with paper trails.

Great place to start but pay is on the lower scale

Support Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA lot of creative people and it is a good place to build up your skills and business acumen.

ConsThe pay is average to just below depending on job roles.

Great culture

Professional Front End Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work culture, flexible hours, good people.

ConsNo real cons that I can think of at this time.

Worked for Classified Ventures? Contribute to the Community!