Clay County School District

CEO

Great, caring

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  Green Cove Springs, FL
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Green Cove Springs, FL

I have been working at Clay County School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Administration cares about their teachers

Cons

Pay and benefits are horrible!

None

Teaching Science in Clay County

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Green Cove Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Green Cove Springs, FL

I worked at Clay County School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clay County is one of the highest rated school districts in Florida. It is an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Teachers can no longer earn tenure.
    The state keeps implementing new programs, so there is training every year on a variety of programs that only hinder teachers' creativity.

A once growing district that has lost focus of students and teachers

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Middleburg, FL
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Middleburg, FL

I worked at Clay County School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small towns and communities, newer schools, small to large schools, rich history, veteran teachers to mentor new teachers

Cons

Politics, power hungry administration, poor money/budget management, lack of salary increase, poor health benefits

Bring the focus back to the student

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly coworkers and students, administration needs improvement

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Celina, TN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Celina, TN

I worked at Clay County School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

I taught at Celina K-8 Elementary School. Coworkers were friendly and helpful. The students for the most part are well behaved.

Cons

Administration has their own ideas as to how subjects should be taught even though the may have little or no experience teaching the subject.

All good reviews, no contract renewal.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Middleburg, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Middleburg, FL

I have been working at Clay County School District

Pros

I'm sure that it all depends on which school you are working in with which principal. There were some good opportunities for professional development.

Cons

I worked in RideOut Elementary School as a brand new, straight out of college teacher. I was teaching a self-contained special education class, given no curriculum, not materials, no guidance. Assistant principal came in about a month into school and asked why I wasn't using a particular reading program and why hadn't I told her that I had not been trained in the program, because they would have sent me in August (then end of September). They made it my fault that I wasn't using the curriculum that I was never provided. Throughout the year I was given good reviews, but was then told that I would not be offered a contract for the following school year. The principal told me this 15 minutes before the buses arrived on a Wednesday morning, which seemed inconsiderate to me and irresponsible as I was slightly shaken throughout the school day that I spent with students, and I hadn't planned on coming back the following year anyway!

Support new teachers. In the interview the principal talked about balancing work and life in order to not burn out... I think if school leaders offered guidance and support to their teachers they would be less likely to burn out!

Public school teaching is a thankless job!

I have been working at Clay County School District

Pros

There are benefits to working for a small town school district.

Cons

Public school teaching is a thankless job with little (no) opportunity for advancement+

Ok to teach, but next to impossible to get promoted.

I have been working at Clay County School District

Pros

The pay, as far as teaching goes, is one of the best in the area. The district is very big on professional development although most is done in-house.

Cons

I have been trying for five years now to get into administration and there is still no hope in sight. It's totally based on who you know and not so much on your own experience and merits. There is not much recognition for doing a great job and the district makes changes in testing, programs, policies constantly. The only thing constant is change. Seems that many decisions are made without much foresight and without the input of the employees.

Create a better way to select candidates into administration. It is currently a very unfair system and you are losing many good employees due to frustration with the hiring process.

Worked for Clay County School District? Contribute to the Community!