Clayton Homes
www.claytonhomes.com Maryville, TN 5000+ Employees

Clayton Homes Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Clayton Homes – Andersonville – “Linde Forklifts are the BEST!”

Kevin T. Clayton

Demanding

Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
New Iberia, LA

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros$650.00/ week first 30 days

ConsHouses are Hot in the summer, You on a Draw against your commission

Advice to Senior Managementchange the office hours to that of a normal company and Do a Salary Plus Commission Program. for your employees

It's not the Clayton of old

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Maryville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCMH has great people for the most part. The facilities are excellent. The work hours and flexible schedule are definitely a plus. Kevin Clayton is a visionary and is a great businessman.

ConsCMH, at the highest level, has lost touch with the core values that got the company where it is today. Clayton no longer seems to value people with integrity. The only team members that get ahead in IT are the ones that pad key leadership members egos with compliments and praise and they certainly don't disagree with them on things that he or she is passionate about. The 3 team members that have had the most success in IT do disagree with leadership but only on things that are of no material value. These 3 have became the laughing stock among IT team members and business unit leaders. I am embarrassed to be a part of the Clayton IT team. Over the years, these 3 have successfully gotten rid of several key IT team members by whom they felt threatened by. IT spending is so far out of control that fixing it will never be a SNAP.

Rules are not applied uniformly between women and men. Management and HR are scared to death of women and minorities therefore it is impossible for all groups to be treated fairly and equitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou survey team members, look again at the IT surveys and pay attention. There is little to no respect for key leadership members by the IT group. Spending is out of control, talk to middle-management about it to truly get a feel for what is going on in key positions.

Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

ProsClear expectations, steady workload, good benefits, good hours,

ConsThere is a definite us vs them atmosphere between management and shop labor. Pay scale is very much slanted towards management. Communication and planning is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work more with planning. a company this size should have production scheduled out at least 3 to 4 weeks.

It was a starting point...

IT Support (Former Employee)
Maryville, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat facilities and really nice people

ConsBeware of the hidden agenda of the mid-level management

Advice to Senior ManagementGood ideas don't only stem from management.

Clayton Homes could gain alot by listening more and talking less.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsFor this industry, the compamy has good benefits.

ConsLonger, unnecessary hours, than anyone else in the industry. Not many people want to buy a home at 7pm! Those who do could be scheduled an appointment.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Getting back to the previous company culture that made them a great place to work back in the 80s and 90s.

General Manager (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCan be a fun place to work, and it's rewarding helping people become homeowners. Good pay plan for managers that produce.

ConsLots of pressure to produce. If a GM were to have a bump in the road with his local economy, or sales staff, and that resulted in him losing money for the company for 6 months to a year, he would spend the next period of equal time or more trying to dig himself out of the loses with no meaningful compensation. Many times winter months force the sales to stall out and a store to lose money during the end of the 4th qtr and the first part of the 1st qtr. I've heard stories of GMs living on their credit cards or home equity lines during this period of time only to have to pay it all back during the 2nd qtr. This can make it a tough roller coaster ride and frustrating. There is something of a disconnect with the marketing team at the corporate office and the field. Many promotions are rolled out without our input that prove to be largely ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that no matter how much you measure store traffic, application volume, closing ratios, quarterly promos, etc., that there is only one thing that makes a real difference and increases sales; that is the experience of dependable and trustworthy GMs that have proven themselves as top performers in sales first. Then help that GM hire the best of the best salespeople.

Good experience overall

General Manager (Current Employee)
Asheville, NC

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat opportunity to make money for locations in the right area of the country. Excellent product. Great value in housing. General Manager shares P&L net profit with company. No cap on earnings.

ConsFinancing for customers is getting tougher. Land costs in certain areas of the country can be cost prohibitive. Housing market has been struggling. Many factors can get in the way of completing the sale beyond the customer saying yes (financing, budget constraints, interest rates and terms, zoning, etc.)

A lot for a little!

Home Consultant (Current Employee)
Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsCustomers are directed by internet advertising to Home Sale Centers so there are numerous prospects/leads.

ConsThey expect a lot for a little bit of pay you will sell the home, help obtain financing, prepare paperwork for several different closings on one sale, apply for permits, coordinate the contractors to build homes, visit job sites, etc. not a very organized process. The corporate office makes you jump through so many hoops to close one deal. You are also expected to go out in the field each week and put up signs on roads to help direct traffic and generate leads. Three jobs in one I would say for very little money. Recently lowered pay to 24,000 a year with no draw to pay back but lowered commission to on each sale. Very dissapointed in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees for the work they have to do. Bigger commissions along with the base pay to make it worth it.

Employer of Choice in the Housing Industry

Retail Recruiting Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Clayton Homes

ProsClayton's approach to business and our commitment to our associates is one in the same - an unwavering commitment to do things the right way. Sales Professionals have the ability to experience career growth through increased personal income and the opportunity to take on sales leadership roles.

ConsWorking in a retail environment the hours can be difficult for some individuals to commit to but the need to be available to show homes and assist prospects on Saturday is a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore additional housing options/floorplans that offer a great value to prospects. I believe in the Clayton product and believe that the more people we can share the benefits of building a Clayton Home versus contracting a site builder for Build on Your Lot projects will continue to increase Clayton's marketshare as America's Largest Homebuilder.

Not bad to get sales experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes

ProsOpportunity to make decent money if you are a smooth talker.

ConsPractices of management are not always what many would feel are ethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your sales teams and put the store managers under closer supervision.

Worked for Clayton Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clayton Homes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clayton Homes CEO Kevin T. Clayton. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Clayton Homes employees.