Clayton Homes Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Kevin T. Clayton

Pros
  • For this industry, the compamy has good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• ok pay and good people around me (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not many people got approved and If they did, the bank offered silly down payments and interest rates (in 3 reviews)

• Unrealistic project deadlines and upper management that does not fully understand what is being implemented (in 3 reviews)

1. Clayton Homes is growing

I worked at Clayton Homes

Pros

The company is owned by Berkshire Hathaway

Cons

Your hours are extended sometimes without notice.

2. Staple of the industry

I worked at Clayton Homes

Pros

Large, stable and able to respond to customers needs.

Cons

Slow to evolve and reluctant to do something different.

Advice to Management

Risk is not a bad thing.

3. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Home Sales Consultant in Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Home Sales Consultant in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

Great potential for money, especially in the right locations. Very customer oriented business, with checks and balances for service quality. Great training and trip incentives. Working with people is generally great, and it's nice to help people realize their home ownership.

Cons

Can be tough if you work in an area that doesn't get more customer traffic, so it can be challenging to get leads at times. Lots of promotional events that are very complicated, and hard to explain to customers.

Advice to Management

Extend all of your workshops to all employees. They need to let individual Home Centers decide on advertising goals. Especially for the areas that have Home Centers that are located close to one another.

5. Excellent experience (Corporate Office)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great facility, very friendly coworkers, and supervisors will usually be open to new ideas and improvements. The corporate office offers a great on-site cafeteria and a fantastic gym, too.

Cons

I was only working in a part-time department, but it did seem that from my starting point that there were few ways to grow within a department. It seems that, in order to move up in the company, you need to jump around a lot. Some of the skill requirements for posted jobs we a bit unreasonable.

Advice to Management

I can't say too much because I worked in a more "temporary" part-time department with a lot of turnover. The best I could think is to make sure that any quota-driven work be kept at a reasonable expectation so as not to discourage new folks. But, at the time of my employment, this was far from an issue.

6. Registered housing sales

Former Employee - Licensed Housing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Licensed Housing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Clayton Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay uncapped commission with lots of room for growth

Cons

None that i can think of

7. Not for young people or people with young families

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

Great insurance benefits, good culture, awesome training experiences, impressive product, and good coworkers

Cons

Loooooong hours for very little pay ($24,000 salary with 7% gross profit commission); 8:30am-7pm during the week if you're lucky and can close on time, and 8:30am-5pm on Saturdays. You don't get to rotate weekends, and only get one day off aside from Sunday. No 2-day weekends for anyone who is salaried. Ever. You only get off for Thanks Giving and Christmas. No other holidays - unless you're hourly. Sales reps get the worst schedule, because even on your day off, you're still asked to work. You only get a 30 minute lunch break... But don't take it in the bullpen because then you're expected to work and take ups while you try to choke down your food, and you don't get a break on Saturdays. Also, managers make you bounce from one thing/project to another without allowing you to finish the previous one and then get upset at you. Management plays SERIOUS favoritism. If you're female, keep even your knee-length Sunday dresses at home, because there is some serious sexism going on around here. You'll get written up or sent home to change for being "too provocative" or "offensive". Individualism is frowned upon here. You're expected to follow a script when talking to customers. When you ask for help, managers and even coworkers ignore you. When a customer wants to speak to a manager, it takes the manager 30 minutes to go speak to them, which makes the customer irate, and lessens your chance of making a sale. One more thing: STOP MAKING YOUR SALES REPS DO MANUAL LABOR! You have service men for that!!! Seriously, don't make people work in the summer heat in slacks and a button up, and then expect them to work with customers while smelling like they just left the gym. That's disgusting.

Advice to Management

Fix everything in the "cons" section, and you're good to go. Adjust the hours or pay to make it worth working here.

8. Overall great company

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment if you're in the right department. Positive attitudes. Lots of bonus opportunities. Good hours. On-site gym and cafeteria.

Cons

Can be hard to move up in the company if you are not an experienced networker. More about who you know than what you can do sometimes.

Advice to Management

Need to compensate better for the amount of work people do.

9. Overall a great experience.

Former Employee - Utility in Bean Station, TN
    Former Employee - Utility in Bean Station, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent health benefits. Quarterly bonus was usually very good. Tight knit group of coworkers several of which are still great friends years later. Hours were normally very good. Excellent work life balance.

Cons

Extremely hot in the summers. Some areas are back breaking. Hard to advance. Great people but very much a 'good ole boy' network. PTO was a joke.

Advice to Management

Management within the building are some of the best.

10. Horrible Company to work for.

Current Employee - Home Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Home Sales Consultant

I have been working at Clayton Homes

Pros

There are no pro's for this company.

Cons

If you want to make a decent living definitely avoid Clayton Homes. Long hours, corporate bs to deal with on a daily basis. The pay is terrible, 2 holidays a year off. Take my advice, stay away from them at all costs.

Advice to Management

Quit screwing with sales people's pay based on screw ups from the service dept.

11. labor

Former Employee - Laborer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Laborer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learner how to put up sheetrock and drywall plus finish mud. And painted dicks wings in Callahan.

Cons

My boss was a mean dude like j lived with him and it got to out off hand so I moved.

Advice to Management

Treat people how u want to be treated.

RSS Feed </> Embed