Clean Harbors

Updated January 28, 2015
2.3

Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I certainly lost many years at this company by working long hours and weekends and not get compensated for it (in 11 reviews)

• Big company upper management only cares at the bottom dollar and their bonuses (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Demanding and interesting.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people & their passion.

Cons

The benefits could be better.

Spend some money on the employees. This is a good place to work, but it could be made into a great place to work.

I found the higher management does not communicate with middle management well.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My work-life balance was pretty good. Not expected to work a lot of overtime.

Cons

Upper Management did not appreciate ideas offered. A lot of political red tape to make changes.

Listen more to your employees - they have good ideas that will benefit the company.

Former highly skilled Employee!

Former Employee - IT Team in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - IT Team in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can leave early per your boss if you need something? No hassle if you need a ink pen.

Cons

No Leadership whatsoever too many people being promoted that have no training or skills to offer.

Consistently do hard work, get excellent reviews and get looked over at the time of promotions and then they promote another stiff and I mean stiff in the company that know one even knows, but that kiss some serious good butt I guess

Please take care of your people, Tell the Prez he is not one of the best in the industry and step down and let someone else runt he company and get rid of most of the lousy, management and Executive team and being and them good employee will come and stay there

CHES should be among the lowest on your job search list

Former Contractor - Data Entry Clerk, Fleet Administrative in Norwell, MA
    Former Contractor - Data Entry Clerk, Fleet Administrative in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Some departments have friendly co-workers that make the monotonous work days better. Commute to corporate HQ is convenient if you live in the South Shore region of MA.

Cons

Some departments have hostile work environments, namely fleet management. Worked as a contracted temp (HR, Purchasing, Fleet) but from hearsay, compensation is low, benefits are poor, and the work/life is unbalanced. Very little attention to company mission, vision, culture and goals. Unmotivating and limited position duties. Stubborn, old-fashioned CEO limits brainstorming and alternative org. measures.

Advice for the CEO and executive level is to focus on what's going wrong internally more and acquisition less. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. Have more inter-departmental functions to strengthen ties and communication, encouraging a friendlier work environment.

The Company is terrible

Current Employee - Vice President in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say; more work, worse equipment, less help, lower wages than industry average. We cannot keep and retain good help.

Cons

To be accepted you need to go tuna fishing while wearing knee pads or else you're expendable. They get rid of the good employees, while keeping the one's who are their buddies.

The new majority shareholders need to fire the CEO and go back to what works. Until they actually make a change that makes a difference, it'll still be the same good ole boys club, where nepotism and not ability are rewarded.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The overall goal is help the environment so that's a plus. If you want to do the same job for rest of your life and willing to ignore everything else and then yes a great place to work for.

Cons

Unethical business practices ignored even after management notified numerous times. Favoritism and unfair treatment of regular employees. You cannot move up unless you are friends with someone in management. Sexist and degrading comments made by management on a regular basis. If you go Tuna fishing with the big man then you can get away with anything.

Follow what you preach.

Employees are under-valued.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clean Harbors is a great place to learn the correct way to develop software. They have great processes in place and follow agile/scrum practices. They use the latest software and tools, and there is definitely enough software projects to keep one interested.

Cons

There are many downsides to working at Clean Harbors, but the first has to be how poorly employees are treated. There is no sense of community or teamwork. From day one, I did not feel like I was welcome there and I was just another worker.

The culture is one of work, work, work with little to no payoff. There is no separation between the CEO and the IT Department. He literally has the say in every project - even though he's running a multi-billion dollar company. Doesn't he have anything better to do? He is the textbook definition of a micro-manager, which ends up rolling down hill, so all the other managers are also micro-managers for fear of losing his or her job. The IT department seems to be driven by fear.

It's impossible to move up in the company and the salaries are pretty low compared to some other jobs of the same type. The company states that the reason for this is that we don't have to drive into Boston to go to work, so that is the justification to paying us lower than median salaries. The annual reviews are a joke and they always make false promises about raises and promotions.

I could not recommend anyone working here unless they were desperate for work and enjoyed being mistreated and having the feeling that you are just another disposable entity. Turnover was extremely high, with multiple employees in the IT department leaving every month or so since I started there.

Allow the employees you hire to do his or her job. Trust your employees to do the right thing and allow the department heads to run their departments.

Low pay, great coworkers, poor management.

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and enjoyed working with most coworkers. There are excellent opportunities for advancement, but you have to be willing to work crazy hours or relocate. If you are young with free time, this could be a great place to work. The overtime is excellent.

Cons

It was difficult to communicate with management, and you never knew what was going on until the last minute. The jobs can be either extremely hectic or extremely boring.

Communicate with lower level employees- answer your phones and respond to emails.

Management Issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work hours, ok pay. Some nice co-workers.

Cons

Although as a company it seems ok, certain members of department management are harsh, unsympathetic and even dishonest. Computer system is a little outdated.

Treat underlings with respect, and remove the bad members of management.

Administration in Asset Management

Current Employee - Asset Management Administrator in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Asset Management Administrator in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

up and coming company in terms of business

Cons

sometimes very dry work that can get dull

more energy in the work environment