Clean Harbors

Updated December 11, 2014
2.1

Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I certainly lost many years at this company by working long hours and weekends and not get compensated for it (in 11 reviews)

• Big company upper management only cares at the bottom dollar and their bonuses (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Work with a diverse group of friendly people with varied backgrounds.

Current Employee - Chemist
    Current Employee - Chemist

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Independence, educational, never the same thing twice, diverse, experience, stepping stone, ability to move laterally, ability to get raises and promotions.

Cons

Ceiling for the technical side, corporate does not take care of management and employees, when the company does badly everything gets cut (benefits, raises, bonuses, jobs), when the company does well only the upper management see the benefits.

Consider your employees when making decisions to improve your standing with shareholders.

Large Company with Little Value Toward Employees

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong and aggressive business model, leader in the industry.

Cons

Treats employees like a number most never get a raise, most are treated like dirt, benefits are poor and no HR support as they have very few on staff to handle the large employee count.

Upper Management needs to add their employees to their business plan core product and growth. The employees are not treated as valuable product too the company but as a resource the company abuses. Stop buying more companies and quit promoting more individuals to VP status, for which we do not need. Start putting value and growth into the staff that makes this company run efficient and profitable.

Current Chemist

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

Not a lot of pressure, stable employment, decent pay.

Cons

Benefits not the best, not a lot of room for growth. Old-school management style.

Former highly skilled Employee!

Former Employee - IT Team in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - IT Team in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can leave early per your boss if you need something? No hassle if you need a ink pen.

Cons

No Leadership whatsoever too many people being promoted that have no training or skills to offer.

Consistently do hard work, get excellent reviews and get looked over at the time of promotions and then they promote another stiff and I mean stiff in the company that know one even knows, but that kiss some serious good butt I guess

Please take care of your people, Tell the Prez he is not one of the best in the industry and step down and let someone else runt he company and get rid of most of the lousy, management and Executive team and being and them good employee will come and stay there

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

Pay is good depending on your position

Cons

Employes are shown no respect or gratitude for hard work and long hours. Management is the worst.

Treat your employees with some respect and show a little gratitude for the hard work and ridiculous hours they put in and family time sacrificed to benefit the company and increase your yearly bonus.

One star is more than they deserve

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If there is any pro to working for Clean Harbors it would have to be the people.....there really is nothing more

Cons

morale is awful.....training is non-existent, pay raises are non-existent...overall bad company to work for. There is zero room for advancement. When and if you get to travel they put you in the worst hotels possible (of course that doesn't apply to upper management)

Start making business decisions instead of making everything personal. Listen to people that know what they're doing instead of surrounding yourself with yes men that are too afraid to tell you what they think for fear of being fired like all of those before them.

Flawed Leadership

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

National company that strives to be green. Co-workers and middle management understand daily goals and needs and are generally amiable.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with all levels of employees. Customer Service takes a backseat to the bottom line in almost every decision made at the executive level. The daily struggle is stock price versus head count. Executive leadership is unwilling/afraid to hold CEO accountable or request assets and procedures that would be beneficial to the entire company and customers alike. Benefits grow worse every year even though the number of individuals has grown due to acquisitions.

If you won't listen to the individuals working for you then you should reach out to your customer base and make changes accordingly. Consistently missing promised service dates just might mean that there are not enough people to perform the services or a lack of proper equipment to do so. Overtime expenditures approaching seven figures could also be an indication of being understaffed and overworked. Consider the overall impact of sweeping changes and possibly include those affected by said changes prior to implementation. Customer Service should be the priority over your stock dividends...take care of the customer AND the employee and the rest will fall into place.

Had its good points and its bad points

Current Employee - Field Service Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were good. They had a good healthcare plan. BCBS - but it paid for bariatric surgery, which most plans do not. The atmosphere at the office I worked at was pretty laid back. In general I LOVED working here. For at least three and a half years, I actually enjoyed coming in to work. Near the end, when we lost our Regional Manager, General Manager, and a career Estimator all within a few weeks of each other, our branch toppled. The new regional manager was a tool. He was brand new to the company, formerly of one of the companies that we recently aquired. He gave his old crew all of the work making the existing branch look foolish. We went from makeing the company millions every year, to being in the red as soon as he came on. But besides that, I cant think of a better crew to work with. There are always one or two people you dont like, but it was easy to focus on your work and just let them be.
    I miss working there to an extent. The pay was very good and safety was very important. My branch was also very family oriented so the life work balance was very good at least for office staff. It was a little more difficult for those in the field that would frequently spend 6 - 8 weeks out in the field and come home for only a week afterwards. But most of the guys were itching to go back out by the time that week was over, so I cant say they complained about it much.

Cons

TOO MUCH CHANGE. I think every year they were changing how things were done. This keeps the office staff in a constant learning mode. No one ever gets really familiar with one thing before they are changing something else. Near the end of my employment there, they started to get greedy. Buying too many companies and then trying to stuff them all together in a little fish bowl. Right after I was laid off, they put several branches in one building and actually had peoples offices in closets. The upper managements offices could have housed a small family, but the branch employees had barely enough room to turn your chair in. They would stuff two-four people in space not much bigger than a cubicle. There was no room to move up. No additional training opportunities to branch into an area that you are not familiar with.

You are buying up too many companies too quickly. You dont even give the last aquisition time to get acclaimated before buy out other companies. I know growth is good, but when you buy up so quickly and dont require consistancy from one division to the other, then you end up with mass confusion. SLOW DOWN! Require all of your divisions to follow the same rules within 3 months of the merger.

Chemist

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent health benefits, if you are an insite chemist somewhere good then it is pretty decent.

Cons

You are constantly at the whim of the company you contract for and almost new recourse if you disagree. Safety after profits. You are constantly expecting to drop everything and go on jobs with little or no warning. No developed career path to advance. No raises at the time of writing, no more stock options, and very little incentive to work harder.

Productive

Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The program manager I had allowed me to grow and manage my own facility.

Cons

Big company upper management only cares at the bottom dollar and their bonuses. Workabees receive no recognition and pay raises are slim to none. You have to leave the company and come back at a higher rate in order to see a pay raise. Hard to move up.

PM's and below are very good.. GM's and above listen to your supervisors now and then, It may make a big difference in the overall welfare of the employe.