Clean Harbors Reviews

Reset
2.3
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Decent pay for the work being done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employes are shown no respect or gratitude for hard work and long hours (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue on how to deal with people (in 10 reviews)

I love Clean Harbors so much that it hurts!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best in class - biggest network of disposal facilities and most Fortune 500 customers are clients. You will learn as much as you want to here, and their safety record is second to none. (Safety First) is a very real adage here and held in the highest regard. Hourly personnel can move up the ladder to increased responsibilities (in the hourly class). Management, not so much. If you are new to the Environmental field, Clean Harbors is for you. If you get lucky, you might get somewhere someday. If not, you leave with the best training and experience that even money cannot buy!

Cons

All I can say is when you agree to your starting wage, make sure it is as high as you can possibly fight to get, because it is the metric that you will ALWAYS be held against in the event you do receive a raise. Clean Harbors can work you to death (if you want to get ahead), then, if you have an average manager that is afraid of losing their job because they cannot move up fast enough, it stifles the entire group under them. There is also an Eastcoast vs Westcoast conflict (almost like sports), where if you are no in the Eastcoast "club", you will never go very far up the ladder, even though you will hear about promotions all the time, they are all in the east or Canada (promoted from the east). This is a place that you can hang out at forever if you want to give the Harbors your life and get a paycheck in return that does not increase except once every 5-6 years once corporate pays a consultant to come in an figure out why everyone is leaving. . . then you'll get your 3%. Raises are next to impossible to get if you are middle management. General Managers get x% to divvy-out to their entire group and there is not enough for half, let alone everyone, (plus they still need to get theirs, right?) Bonuses, (Maybe), if you are lucky enough to be within a good vertical market segment that actually is growing.

Advice to Management

Not like anybody is going to listen, but if they did, I'd say "Listen to some of your middle-management and promote more from within. Just because somebody is lower than their manager doesn't mean their manager is any good. They just look that way because I am good, and my co-worker is good". The company has become so large so quickly, you forget we are a 3-billion dollar company, not a 300-million dollar company. You need to find a method to reach into those middle managers and sales managers and truly feel the pulse of the company because in short, WE are your lifeblood.

2. excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Insite Lab Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Insite Lab Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they have excellent package and salary benefits.

Cons

for me too far from home. No negative comments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

exciting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

always something new so you never get bored with your job advancement if you choose to take it travel is possible if you choose to take it

Cons

I don't really have downsides, the pay freeze is a little tough due to the cost of living going up and salries staying the same.

Overall, great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

Experience servicing clients throughout US Great employees working for a common goal Community Involvement Variety in days Pay isn't bad for recent college graduates

Cons

Understaffed for workload Lack of training No communication between departments Long Hours with no overtime for salary Old Technology - used fax to send quotes.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees as they work with clients daily (warehouse, sales, customer service, drivers,) Consider upgrading technology to streamline workflow at all levels.

Really not that bad

Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My review comes after being in sales at several companies over 20 years. Most people here are genuinely good, hard working people. The benefits are great even after the increase we experienced this year. I would imagine the are better benefits than where you at. Very good base salary. Stock purchase plan is good(lowest price over quarter less 15&). 800 pound guerilla in the industry. Key to success here is figure out who can get things done and keep them happy. Training is heavy and lots of online courses for learning almost anything. Recently, they implemented a system to have new employees have a buddy and mentor to help get you started. Service that people HAVE to HAVE. Industry is only going to get bigger. Lots of people 10, 20 plus years here. If you want you could probably stay here for life.

Cons

Like every company I have worked with there are some issues, but stable and secure environment. Not sure if good or bad base salary is high but bonus are low. I am happy with pay for my role. If you are not careful you could turn into a customer service rep and not a sales rep.

Advice to Management

Most roles have a way for promotion, but in sales it is not clear. As an account manager it is too easy to turn into customer service rep and get tied up with customer service issues. Job description for support roles seems to vary depending on local management not consistent on who does what across the board..

7. 5 years in....

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, decent salary, good chance of advancement

Cons

long hours, pay could be better

Advice to Management

get rid of some vice presidents and sales staff and focus more on the operations folks

8. Go, go, go -- one fast-paced organization!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Dynamic environment, new challenges every day, skilled workforce, demanding customers, cutting edge technology, really making a difference in an important area -- our environment! If you do well, you can work here forever.

Cons

Long hours, short weekends, never enough staffing support, below market compensation, tough to get funding for necessary equipment, east coast bias, poor work-life balance.

9. Good Company

Current Employee - Field Services in Arnegard, ND
    Current Employee - Field Services in Arnegard, ND

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Great Benefits

Cons

A lot of Miscommunication, Terrible management, Equipment is very bad.Dishonest People are rewarded. Corporate appears to care, yet nothing changes. Same staff, same problems.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and listen to their requests.

Low pay, great coworkers, poor management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and enjoyed working with most coworkers. There are excellent opportunities for advancement, but you have to be willing to work crazy hours or relocate. If you are young with free time, this could be a great place to work. The overtime is excellent.

Cons

It was difficult to communicate with management, and you never knew what was going on until the last minute. The jobs can be either extremely hectic or extremely boring.

Advice to Management

Communicate with lower level employees- answer your phones and respond to emails.

Demanding and interesting.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people & their passion.

Cons

The benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on the employees. This is a good place to work, but it could be made into a great place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed