Clean Harbors Reviews

Reset
2.4
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Decent pay for the work being done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employes are shown no respect or gratitude for hard work and long hours (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue on how to deal with people (in 10 reviews)

1. Technical Service Repreentative

Current Employee - Technical Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

None, This company bullies their employees. Management provides no training and blame you for anything that goes wrong.

Cons

This company does not offer good benefits and salary.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect otherwise the good ones will leave when they get a chance.

2. Horrible company stay away

Former Employee - Worker in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Worker in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing there are no pros it's the worst company and its stock is plummeting everyday stay away high turn over

Cons

The pay, managments, the job, benefits. They take advantage of people who are in desperate need of a job they are in violation of numerous safety laws

Advice to Management

You should all be fired or put in jail

Crappy place to work for-Lodging & Catering

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Acheson, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Acheson, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

paid weekly and thats about it

Cons

If you are white and from Alberta don't expect to get alot of work....you will sit more than you work-working hard and doing really good work gets you nowhere-no appreciation whatsoever for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Go stay at Ruth Lake Lodge...smell your duvet covers lol because they never change them!! housekeepers over worked so they take short cuts...changing linen and duvet covers happens rarely..too much management not enough staff...as management certainly do not clean room.

A a place to get ahead at all!

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of work to keep you busy. Can have the actual tools you need at least in some areas to get the job done.

Boss was flexible if you needed to run errands or work from home occasionally.

Cons

Management at higher levels up the Executive to the President were so out of of touch with what an employee needs are and the overall benefits were the worst I had seen in the industry and compared them to about 10 different companies of the same or similar size.

HR is just too big and out of touch and clueless when dealing with management issues or anything else.

No pay increase and consistent pay or hiring freezes just out of the blue even right after they spend to acquire another company? Makes no sense at all, no training, no social life, outings or even a decent XMAS Party..not a good place if you want to grow , so keep it moving if it pops up in your job alerts!

Advice to Management

Work on really listening and understanding your employees and stop doing the elementary school crap of picking favorites and pitting other employees against each other and let them work together so they all can grow.

Get rid of excessive Directors and Useless VPs that rise up just because they know someone with no real background or results to prove their advancement or promotion and what a joke in this area all together.

Sam Walton and Alan McKim Have A Lot In Common

Current Employee - Insite Chemist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Insite Chemist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate manager who's empowered me to expand our connections with the client and move towards them towards being accountable. The guys I work with are the salt of the earth; hard working and fun to be around.

Cons

It took four years to get rid of a program manager who was abusive, sexist, and had been complained about formally by no less than six employees. I guess it's who you know, you know? You can just about beg to be given a chance at advancing your career and it basically falls on deaf ears. You got guys who handle dangerous chemicals on a daily basis and their not provided with Clean Pack training which would help a little. The hypocrisy of Clean Harbors "strong emphasis on safety" is evident in that our site doesn't even have a set of tools. We have to ask other contractors to borrow their stuff. Upper management is a joke: They brought in a presentation that spoke about the evils of unionization when there was a rumour that someone spoke with a union rep. If they'd pay their employees a living wage, maybe they wouldn't need to do something so inane. The benefit package cost you a bundle. I pay over 60.00 per week just for medical. I could go on about how truly bad this company is.

Advice to Management

Stop being for the one percent; pay a wage commensurate with the danger that's inherent in the job. Stop consuming other companies and invest in the most important capital you have- your employees. It's been two years since we even for a lousy 3 percent raise but some how they found the money to buy another company.

This has to be the worst company I have ever worked for in my 20 years of driving.

Current Employee - Heavy Driver in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Heavy Driver in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, none, none, none, none

Cons

Constant payroll issues, bad equipment,unorganized

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like garbage.

Stay Far.. Far.. Away.

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking people in the main office in Edmonton, AB with good teamwork.

Cons

Terrible salaries. Overworked employees. Lack of organizational development and change management. The people at the top don't listen - EVER.

Advice to Management

Before you continue buying out smaller companies, make sure you know how your systems work and the workload of your current employees. You can't continue to dump work on your employees and expect to merge new businesses into your current processes.

9. You think its only for now

I worked at Clean Harbors

Pros

Decent health care, lots of hours if you want it.

Cons

No marketable skills, poor management, greedy managers, at the mercy of other companies

Advice to Management

Hire more people, provide real training, stop buying other companies.

Place is a joke, run while you still can

I worked at Clean Harbors

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Management is terrible. The do not value the employee or their families. Forced to use pto time even for overtime hours. No room for advancement. Crappy work. Zero future unless you want to give every waking moment of the rest of your life to this company. run!

Advice to Management

It would be a waste of time.

11. Turn away and run!

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Business they conduct helps the environment, including oil recycling. Many of the people are very hard working and genuinely care about the success of the company.

Cons

CEO micromanages the company, much of the other senior management are yes men. Horrible at acquisitions and integrating them. The 401k retirement contribution from the company is laughable, and morale is at an all-time low.

Other than that, it's great!

Advice to Management

Stop blindly doing whatever McKim tells you to do. He doesn't know how to run this company anymore, and the last two years are proof of that, both internally and externally.

RSS Feed </> Embed