Clean Harbors Reviews

Reset
2.3
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Decent pay for the work being done (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employes are shown no respect or gratitude for hard work and long hours (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue on how to deal with people (in 10 reviews)

Rewards are given to the most abusive personnel.

Current Employee - Apollo Chemist in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Apollo Chemist in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

It's a job in a time of no jobs. If you get lucky, you can get ahead but it's all about who you know.

Cons

Abusive management rewarded for abusive behavior- very hard work for a pittance- everything is punitive and when it comes time for your review, you'll laugh at what they offer you and then don't even get the crumbs they'd said they'd dole out.

Advice to Management

Open up your eyes- you have got a sea of disgruntled workers on your hands and if you don't start spreading the wealth to the men and women busting their collective butts for you, you're going to end up losing contract after contract because nobody will want to work for you.

Entertaining.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

The pay is really good. The company does supply you with great equipment. The time spent away from family is extensive.

Cons

It takes a toll being away from family for such a long time. The benefits could be better. The trailers are always broke when passed around from driver to driver. If you have a bad CDL then apply here they hire just about anyone.

Advice to Management

Better communication between the ones (driver) who makes your company money and the higher up employees. Make sure others are compensated for doing last minute things that we are not suppose to do.

Believe No One

Former Employee - Technical in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits always enough work to keep you busy.

Cons

No upward mobility when giving ideas for improvement. Management would rather do things the same way and push you to the edge. One day you feel like you are doing a great job the next and the next you feel like you are doing a bad job. All the while, you feel confused while management collects the bonuses from your work.

Advice to Management

Your employees have figured your abusive management tactics out. Every time you try to intimidate, know that your pockets may get a little emptier.

Poor Pay, Overworked, and Under appreciated.

Current Employee - Fleet Administrator in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Fleet Administrator in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people to work with.

Cons

Upper management does not appreciate nor understand the work that is done. Always asking for more all while making cuts in employment.

Advice to Management

Appreciate that even though some corporate teams do not make the company money, without us doing our job well, the divisions that make money would be unable to do so without us.

Circus

Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a paycheck that's all

Cons

No respect, long hours, management needs training, cheap

Advice to Management

Stop using your people

Very Poor Company To Work For

Former Employee - Senior Compliance Manager in Aragonite, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Compliance Manager in Aragonite, UT

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really hard to think of one.

Cons

Low pay, lack of raises, long hours, micromanaged.

Advice to Management

Higher competent employees so the need to micromanage is not necessary.

Bad company

I worked at Clean Harbors

Pros

Computer system is good and coworkers are ok. Other than that I don't see anything that is worth mentioning about this company

Cons

All about profits and broken promises. Upper management has no clue on how to deal with people. I certainly lost many years at this company by working long hours and weekends and not get compensated for it.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to the guys in the field!

Worst Company on the Planet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

There is NOTHING good that I can say about this company. They are AWFUL and when it comes time for a layoff...they kick people to the curb and hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out!!

Cons

Severance package - 1 week/year of service Benefits expire at midnight on the night you are laid off No outplacement assistance whatsoever Also, they discriminate against anyone over 40 years old and have officially violated the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act in their latest round of layoffs in Richardson, TX on March 6th. And quite possibly, they've violated the WARN Act as well...although one wouldn't know that because they failed to list on the OWBPA every position that was eliminated with the incumbents ages, as well as those that were retained with their ages. Sounds like leaders were trying to CYA over the discriminatory actions that were taken in the hopes that their employees weren't smart enough to know something about employment law. I suspect (and hope) that Clean Harbors gets what is coming to them...a hard learned lesson that you can't discriminate against older employees and think for one second that you're going to get away with it. This company sucks so bad and I honestly think that being part of this most recent layoff was a blessing in disguise. Who wants to be a part of a company that treats their employees who have poured their heart and soul into their work this way.

Advice to Management

I hope Alan McKim and his leadership team are able to sleep at night knowing how poorly they treated their employees who they just kicked to the curb. Employees who have dedicated themselves to achieving profits to fill the leadership team's fat pockets. Any decent company would've done the following to make sure the impacted employees felt as though the company cared enough to take care of them through this transition period: They would've given them at least 2 weeks/year of service - minimum of 8 weeks of severance; would have extended their benefits through the end of the month instead of cutting them off at midnight on the night they were let go; and would have offered at least 1 month of outplacement assistance. But not Clean Harbors...they are the worst company on the planet...hands down!! Again...what comes around goes around...and although I was impacted by the layoff on March 6th...I am glad that I found out sooner rather than later what an awful company this is and that I got out when the economy is good and I won't have any issues getting another job with a company that appreciates and values their employees.

The most poorly managed company ever!

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

You can learn a lot of your willing to sacrifice your home/family life.

Cons

No raises (unless your at a union location). No recognition for anything. Management continuously finds new ways to rationalize their salaries and provide no means for anyone to advance. Family doesn't matter. Your check is your only perk. The most poorly managed company, possibly ever.

Advice to Management

Pay a decent wage! If you want to hire a bunch of kids that don't mind working for the pittance that you pay now, then don't complain about violations and fines. Hire some middle management with schooling, training and a backbone. Realize that without your employees your just a toxic heap.

11. Terrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Have decent benefit programs and time off policies. Growing Company most through acquisitions. Some locations are very nice to work at

Cons

Management is very reactive which result in numerous lay offs, rather than analyzing the issues and develop a plan. Not very family friendly, very demanding work environment. Do not respect different types of employees very driven individuals

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate different types of employees that will make your work force well rounded. The driven personality is good, but tends to be very reactive rather than planning, analyzing and executing a game plan.

RSS Feed </> Embed