Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim

Alan S. McKim

Pros:
  • "Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies"
    in 5 reviews
  • "lot of good people to work with shop has decent mix of experience and newness"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, lack of raises, long hours, micromanaged"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Upper management does not appreciate nor understand the work that is done"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very disappointed, and frustrated

Driver (Current Employee)
Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time for more than a year

ProsFrankly other then the money there's not much of pros to work there.

ConsPoor Management, poor communication, and a lot of favoritism. High Turn-over of employees and staff.
need to fight to be able to have hours weekly, and again it comes to a very poor management.

Lots of travel! Low pay.

Operator (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiffrent places to travel and great projects to work on

ConsToo much travel or no work at all. Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease per diem and hourly pay

Terrible Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Deer Park, TX

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

ProsHave decent benefit programs and time off policies. Growing Company most through acquisitions. Some locations are very nice to work at

ConsManagement is very reactive which result in numerous lay offs, rather than analyzing the issues and develop a plan. Not very family friendly, very demanding work environment. Do not respect different types of employees very driven individuals

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate different types of employees that will make your work force well rounded. The driven personality is good, but tends to be very reactive rather than planning, analyzing and executing a game plan.

One scary roller coaster ride.

Chemist (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people that I work with are great. I love my job and what I do. The pay and benefits are ok for what I do.

ConsManagement is so unpredictable that its scary. Revolving door of employees. The new hires that come in don't stay long because of management. The hours worked are long, extra days are expected. increasing the possibility for mistakes and injury.
The managers expect numbers, but also expect it to be doing safely. When safety concerns are brought up, it has been treated as if there is no issue until someone gets hurt or something gets damaged. Then the blame for the incident is turned to be the fault of the person who got hurt or reported the concern. Too many managers turning a blind eye to safety in order to "save the company money and produce numbers to make themselves look good." Not enough positive acknowledgement and support for good safe work practices and a productive day.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers. Give positive feed back, let them know why their ideas are good ones, or why they won't work. Take time to work together to find a way to make the job safer and more efficient by spending the day working with them in order to see things from the ground floor instead of watching them on the video monitor in your offices.

Nightmare

Driver (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNone- they don't care. If you are below a SVP- your trash.

ConsClean Harbors upper management is horrible. They don't care about the employees. Awful!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line- we know, we see.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The most poorly managed company ever!

I have been working at Clean Harbors

ProsYou can learn a lot of your willing to sacrifice your home/family life.

ConsNo raises (unless your at a union location). No recognition for anything. Management continuously finds new ways to rationalize their salaries and provide no means for anyone to advance. Family doesn't matter. Your check is your only perk. The most poorly managed company, possibly ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a decent wage! If you want to hire a bunch of kids that don't mind working for the pittance that you pay now, then don't complain about violations and fines. Hire some middle management with schooling, training and a backbone. Realize that without your employees your just a toxic heap.

Typical, as expected work life in the has waste business

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people for the most part, depending on which branch you work for or job role.

ConsNo loyalty. Poor high level decisions that end up in massive layoffs, hiring freezes, etc. Subpar benefits. Seems like 2 VPs for every 1 laborer.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worst Company on the Planet

Richardson, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

ProsThere is NOTHING good that I can say about this company. They are AWFUL and when it comes time for a layoff...they kick people to the curb and hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out!!

ConsSeverance package -

1 week/year of service
Benefits expire at midnight on the night you are laid off
No outplacement assistance whatsoever

Also, they discriminate against anyone over 40 years old and have officially violated the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act in their latest round of layoffs in Richardson, TX on March 6th. And quite possibly, they've violated the WARN Act as well...although one wouldn't know that because they failed to list on the OWBPA every position that was eliminated with the incumbents ages, as well as those that were retained with their ages. Sounds like leaders were trying to CYA over the discriminatory actions that were taken in the hopes that their employees weren't smart enough to know something about employment law. I suspect (and hope) that Clean Harbors gets what is coming to them...a hard learned lesson that you can't discriminate against older employees and think for one second that you're going to get away with it.

This company sucks so bad and I honestly think that being part of this most recent layoff was a blessing in disguise. Who wants to be a part of a company that treats their employees who have poured their heart and soul into their work this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope Alan McKim and his leadership team are able to sleep at night knowing how poorly they treated their employees who they just kicked to the curb. Employees who have dedicated themselves to achieving profits to fill the leadership team's fat pockets. Any decent company would've done the following to make sure the impacted employees felt as though the company cared enough to take care of them through this transition period:

They would've given them at least 2 weeks/year of service - minimum of 8 weeks of severance; would have extended their benefits through the end of the month instead of cutting them off at midnight on the night they were let go; and would have offered at least 1 month of outplacement assistance. But not Clean Harbors...they are the worst company on the planet...hands down!!

Again...what comes around goes around...and although I was impacted by the layoff on March 6th...I am glad that I found out sooner rather than later what an awful company this is and that I got out when the economy is good and I won't have any issues getting another job with a company that appreciates and values their employees.

Okay if you like a fixed routine

San Jose, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways a bunch of work to do everyday. Health care plan is pretty good compared to other places.

ConsManagement never really updates technology. There is considerable demand to make this job the only priority in ones life.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo update the winweb and create actual chances to advance in the company. I have brought various safety issues up and nothing happens. It feels like they want safety ideas, but not from hourly employees.

Easy work, long days, overtime makes the pay mediocre.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clean Harbors

ProsEasy work when things are running smoothly. Communication is good.

ConsLong long days, pay growth is very slow, politics,

Advice to Senior Managementimplement a more structured atmosphere

Worked for Clean Harbors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clean Harbors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clean Harbors CEO Alan S. McKim. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Clean Harbors employees.