Clean Harbors Reviews

131 reviews filtered by
2.2
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I certainly lost many years at this company by working long hours and weekends and not get compensated for it (in 11 reviews)

• Big company upper management only cares at the bottom dollar and their bonuses (in 10 reviews)

1. Project Manager

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Some Freedom, Decent pay if you work a lot of overtime

Cons

Dime a dozen employee system, there is not much room for advancement.

A grueling trench war with few rewards

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're lucky, you'll get to work with some great people...before they leave
    Great commute if you live on the South Shore

Cons

Upper management does not understand that not everyone corporate wide is the same
    Too many corners are cut in day to day process
    Management encourages back door dealings and backstabbing as corporate culture
    HR and upper management are hopelessly out of touch

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to encourage people to actually tell them what's going on. Unfortunately, the top brass is known for being somewhat unwelcoming to information that doesn't fit their idea of what something is, or where it should be. This results in the most talented people in the company leaving to seek better employment elsewhere or becoming bitter and disenfranchised with what should be a great company and a top employer on the South Shore.

3. Low pay but you can make money if you want to put in the hours.

Current Employee - Field ServiceEmployee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Field ServiceEmployee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

Stable company, full benefits, plenty of opportunity to work overtime, you have the opportunity to learn something new everyday,good co-workers.

Cons

Low pay for hazardous work, you become totally reliant on overtime so when it's not there it's difficult to get by. Can't survive on 40 hours, declining benefits, no pay scales.

Crappy place to work for-Lodging & Catering

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Acheson, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Acheson, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

paid weekly and thats about it

Cons

If you are white and from Alberta don't expect to get alot of work....you will sit more than you work-working hard and doing really good work gets you nowhere-no appreciation whatsoever for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Go stay at Ruth Lake Lodge...smell your duvet covers lol because they never change them!! housekeepers over worked so they take short cuts...changing linen and duvet covers happens rarely..too much management not enough staff...as management certainly do not clean room.

6. Technician

I worked at Clean Harbors

Pros

working with the people in the related areas

Cons

Not enough bonuses and perks in areas of achievement

A a place to get ahead at all!

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of work to keep you busy. Can have the actual tools you need at least in some areas to get the job done.

Boss was flexible if you needed to run errands or work from home occasionally.

Cons

Management at higher levels up the Executive to the President were so out of of touch with what an employee needs are and the overall benefits were the worst I had seen in the industry and compared them to about 10 different companies of the same or similar size.

HR is just too big and out of touch and clueless when dealing with management issues or anything else.

No pay increase and consistent pay or hiring freezes just out of the blue even right after they spend to acquire another company? Makes no sense at all, no training, no social life, outings or even a decent XMAS Party..not a good place if you want to grow , so keep it moving if it pops up in your job alerts!

Advice to Management

Work on really listening and understanding your employees and stop doing the elementary school crap of picking favorites and pitting other employees against each other and let them work together so they all can grow.

Get rid of excessive Directors and Useless VPs that rise up just because they know someone with no real background or results to prove their advancement or promotion and what a joke in this area all together.

8. Boring

Current Employee - Insite Chemist
    Current Employee - Insite Chemist

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pretty good benefits, full-time even though the work I do can be finished well before 40 hours, good training and experience for when you find a job with a different company.

Cons

I have to basically stretch out my day and take my time doing all the work so that I can reach the 40 hours and go home. My direct supervisor is very rude and gets angry when I ask questions, leading to a hostile work environment where I don't feel comfortable asking questions that are important. The other people I communicate with seem to be very disorganized and as a result I've had to do a bunch of requirements more than once. I was told when I was hired that I would receive 3 weeks of vacation time after my second year of employment, but it turns out that it's after 5 years of employment. I often don't feel physically safe at work when handling the chemicals we work with, for example I often blow my nose at the end of the work day and the result is black snot.

Advice to Management

I haven't been around long enough to deal with upper management fortunately, but my advice would be: learn to spell in your emails, provide better safety gear, don't lie about benefits or try to glamorize the job description.

Sam Walton and Alan McKim Have A Lot In Common

Current Employee - Insite Chemist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Insite Chemist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate manager who's empowered me to expand our connections with the client and move towards them towards being accountable. The guys I work with are the salt of the earth; hard working and fun to be around.

Cons

It took four years to get rid of a program manager who was abusive, sexist, and had been complained about formally by no less than six employees. I guess it's who you know, you know? You can just about beg to be given a chance at advancing your career and it basically falls on deaf ears. You got guys who handle dangerous chemicals on a daily basis and their not provided with Clean Pack training which would help a little. The hypocrisy of Clean Harbors "strong emphasis on safety" is evident in that our site doesn't even have a set of tools. We have to ask other contractors to borrow their stuff. Upper management is a joke: They brought in a presentation that spoke about the evils of unionization when there was a rumour that someone spoke with a union rep. If they'd pay their employees a living wage, maybe they wouldn't need to do something so inane. The benefit package cost you a bundle. I pay over 60.00 per week just for medical. I could go on about how truly bad this company is.

Advice to Management

Stop being for the one percent; pay a wage commensurate with the danger that's inherent in the job. Stop consuming other companies and invest in the most important capital you have- your employees. It's been two years since we even for a lousy 3 percent raise but some how they found the money to buy another company.

10. Receiving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tooele, UT

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team workers for the most parts with large work loads and lots of hours in a week 60-75 in which adds up in my 401K and helps pay my bills - bad on body and home life.

Cons

You don't get the training in all areas of the job. As part of the job is very intense hard labor in a HAZMAT suit, general warehouse, and office work.

Advice to Management

They bypass good talent in their own organization which gives the workers no choice but to find another job and leave.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Cylinder Chemist in La Porte, TX
    Current Employee - Cylinder Chemist in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appropriate pay
    Good benefits and vacation

Cons

Corporate has unrealistic expectations of employees
    Facilities not suited for number of employees
    High employee turn around rate

Advice to Management

To be a leader, you need to be a follower. You need to remember where you came from. If you can not remember the people below you, they will not continue you to support you at the top.