Clean Harbors

Updated January 28, 2015
2.1

Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Pros
  • My department has been great for needing personal time and most of the people are great (in 6 reviews)

• Very good benefits - Medical, dental and prescriptions are better than a lot of other companies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I certainly lost many years at this company by working long hours and weekends and not get compensated for it (in 11 reviews)

• Big company upper management only cares at the bottom dollar and their bonuses (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of travel! Low pay.

Current Employee - Operator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diffrent places to travel and great projects to work on

Cons

Too much travel or no work at all. Low pay

Increase per diem and hourly pay

Zero sense of accountability, too much middle management, complete lack of direction as a company.

Current Employee - Mss
    Current Employee - Mss

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outdoors, not stuck in the office.

Cons

Micromanaged, mismanaged, lack of any sort of IT support, complete lack of turnaround time, horrendous feedback, too much middle management, and worst of all; arbitrarily changing commission plans on a whim when too many people achieve goals.

Example: Quarterly payouts were changed 2 days before the payout. Instead of getting paid on a 170% scale gained by the office, paid on 100% scale and basically told "you should be happy you get a bonus at all."

This was after Safety-Kleen was acquired by Clean Harbors in 2013 and given the kid brother treatment. Your stuff didn't go through? Too bad, gotta wait for the CH folks to finish first. Having troubles with the system? Stick with us, we'll get you back in 2014.

Keep your word. Don't change commission structure on a whim when people are counting on the checks they'd achieved. Make sure to continue to go on CNBC Alan McKim, continue to tell us how great things are and then slide the hammer down on the employees who make your company run, but make sure that you send out an email 2-3 months later to remind us of all the terrific opportunities we have to achieve goal, then watch those goals exceeded, and make up something on a whim to go back on your world and invent a new way to make it up to us.

Dirty work for low pay under the supervision of frat boy idiots

Former Employee - Environmental Tech I
    Former Employee - Environmental Tech I

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting job sites/work, taught me exactly how not to manage employees and run a business.

Cons

Low pay, BS hours (either 60+ or zero), worked for 4 months and was averaging 12 hours/week, shady management, dangerous job situations, under trained staff, promised lots of training and received no formal training beyond the initial OSHA 40 hour, only really care about safety and the well being of employees when Health and safety are around. Benefits are expensive but you need them because of the dangerous nature of the work and some weeks you end up owing money since the pay check cant always cover the premiums...just ridiculous

Do not hire new employees that are smarter and have a better business sense then you do. It doesn't take long to realize that they over charge customers and under pay employees. Do not expect enthusiasm when you have zero work one week and approaching 80 hours the next. I was frustrated and looking for a new job with the first two weeks. I compared prices of clean harbors with other service companies for my new job and found a way better company for a lot cheaper to transport our waste.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. National company. Stock option is descent.

Cons

Lots of layoffs. Operations driven company and not focused on developing business. Company will not last with current management.

One scary roller coaster ride.

Current Employee - Chemist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Chemist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I work with are great. I love my job and what I do. The pay and benefits are ok for what I do.

Cons

Management is so unpredictable that its scary. Revolving door of employees. The new hires that come in don't stay long because of management. The hours worked are long, extra days are expected. increasing the possibility for mistakes and injury.
    The managers expect numbers, but also expect it to be doing safely. When safety concerns are brought up, it has been treated as if there is no issue until someone gets hurt or something gets damaged. Then the blame for the incident is turned to be the fault of the person who got hurt or reported the concern. Too many managers turning a blind eye to safety in order to "save the company money and produce numbers to make themselves look good." Not enough positive acknowledgement and support for good safe work practices and a productive day.

Listen to your workers. Give positive feed back, let them know why their ideas are good ones, or why they won't work. Take time to work together to find a way to make the job safer and more efficient by spending the day working with them in order to see things from the ground floor instead of watching them on the video monitor in your offices.

Typical, as expected work life in the has waste business

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people for the most part, depending on which branch you work for or job role.

Cons

No loyalty. Poor high level decisions that end up in massive layoffs, hiring freezes, etc. Subpar benefits. Seems like 2 VPs for every 1 laborer.

None

Terrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Have decent benefit programs and time off policies. Growing Company most through acquisitions. Some locations are very nice to work at

Cons

Management is very reactive which result in numerous lay offs, rather than analyzing the issues and develop a plan. Not very family friendly, very demanding work environment. Do not respect different types of employees very driven individuals

Learn to appreciate different types of employees that will make your work force well rounded. The driven personality is good, but tends to be very reactive rather than planning, analyzing and executing a game plan.

Easy work, long days, overtime makes the pay mediocre.

I worked at Clean Harbors

Pros

Easy work when things are running smoothly. Communication is good.

Cons

Long long days, pay growth is very slow, politics,

implement a more structured atmosphere

The most poorly managed company ever!

I have been working at Clean Harbors

Pros

You can learn a lot of your willing to sacrifice your home/family life.

Cons

No raises (unless your at a union location). No recognition for anything. Management continuously finds new ways to rationalize their salaries and provide no means for anyone to advance. Family doesn't matter. Your check is your only perk. The most poorly managed company, possibly ever.

Pay a decent wage! If you want to hire a bunch of kids that don't mind working for the pittance that you pay now, then don't complain about violations and fines. Hire some middle management with schooling, training and a backbone. Realize that without your employees your just a toxic heap.

Worst Company on the Planet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

There is NOTHING good that I can say about this company. They are AWFUL and when it comes time for a layoff...they kick people to the curb and hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out!!

Cons

Severance package -

1 week/year of service
    Benefits expire at midnight on the night you are laid off
    No outplacement assistance whatsoever

Also, they discriminate against anyone over 40 years old and have officially violated the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act in their latest round of layoffs in Richardson, TX on March 6th. And quite possibly, they've violated the WARN Act as well...although one wouldn't know that because they failed to list on the OWBPA every position that was eliminated with the incumbents ages, as well as those that were retained with their ages. Sounds like leaders were trying to CYA over the discriminatory actions that were taken in the hopes that their employees weren't smart enough to know something about employment law. I suspect (and hope) that Clean Harbors gets what is coming to them...a hard learned lesson that you can't discriminate against older employees and think for one second that you're going to get away with it.

This company sucks so bad and I honestly think that being part of this most recent layoff was a blessing in disguise. Who wants to be a part of a company that treats their employees who have poured their heart and soul into their work this way.

I hope Alan McKim and his leadership team are able to sleep at night knowing how poorly they treated their employees who they just kicked to the curb. Employees who have dedicated themselves to achieving profits to fill the leadership team's fat pockets. Any decent company would've done the following to make sure the impacted employees felt as though the company cared enough to take care of them through this transition period:

They would've given them at least 2 weeks/year of service - minimum of 8 weeks of severance; would have extended their benefits through the end of the month instead of cutting them off at midnight on the night they were let go; and would have offered at least 1 month of outplacement assistance. But not Clean Harbors...they are the worst company on the planet...hands down!!

Again...what comes around goes around...and although I was impacted by the layoff on March 6th...I am glad that I found out sooner rather than later what an awful company this is and that I got out when the economy is good and I won't have any issues getting another job with a company that appreciates and values their employees.