CleanEdison

Updated August 5, 2014

4.1

CEO

Great Experience

Pros

CleanEdison gives employees the opportunity to manage themselves. You need to be able to take on a variety of responsibilities and accomplish tasks efficiently. But if you can learn to work in the startup environment, you'll gain more experience here than in any larger corporate operation. The office is young and all employees and interns are great people who you'll love working with and hanging out with outside of the office

Cons

As anyone who has worked in a startup knows, some days are going to be extremely stressful. You have to work within a tighter budget and on shorter deadlines. Because the company is small, you need to be able to communicate effectively with everyone in order to run things smoothly, and you need to be willing to pick up the slack even if it falls out of your department. If you're willing to adapt and run with the freedom within CleanEdison you'll learn a lot.

The company is full of former interns, please continue to foster and improve this program!

Intern at CleanEdison

Pros

The company has great culture and energy, is fast paced. As a start-up it assists in your personal and professional growth. The company is also working at the intersection of environmental sustainability and job growth both very important issues in the current economy.

Cons

It is a very stressful environment, communication is an issue. It seems like there is no clear structure for responsibilities and duties which makes everyone's jobs even more stressful.

Make responsibilities very clear, have formal training to lessen the issues and be more efficient.

Summer internship in the city

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I have had a great time interning for CleanEdison this summer. The marketing department is the perfect place for a creative person and I have learned so much from my mentors. Not only have I had the opportunity to create and publish content, I also learned how to use various tools to track metrics and traffic for the website which will most definitely be relevant for a job in marketing.

The best thing about working here has been the collective understanding that the interns are here to learn. No question goes unanswered, and interns are given real responsibilities and create work that will be used by the business. Being sent out for coffee only happen if you're late for work. The work is not stressful if you manage your time well

Cons

Occasionally there may not be enough assigned work to last you the entire day and boredom sets in long before its time to leave. And while there may be work that needs to be done in another department, they may not need your assistance either since each department generally has 1-2 interns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a Product Development intern at CleanEdison

Current Employee - Product Development Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Development Intern in New York, NY

Pros

CleanEdison offers a very dynamic work environment. My internship is therefore a very fast-paced educational experience. As a Product Development Intern I was introduced to the world of Product Development and Marketing. I am delegated quite a few daily tasks as well as tasks due at a later date so there is always something new to learn and master. I learned A LOT about developing a product in a start-up environment as well as familiarized myself with the sustainable marketing industry and SEO.

I started working for CleanEdison when it was still a start-up and we got acquired halfway through my internship. Therefore we went from a busy, flexible work environment to a more rigorous and organized one. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I consider myself lucky to have experienced both. I was allowed to take the equivalent of a week and a half work weeks worth of days off during my internship which I sincerely appreciated. Also, as a commuter to NYC, it was a huge benefit to be working for a company that understood how difficult it is to arrive precisely at 9 am every morning and who was able to be somewhat flexible with my punch in/ punch out times.

Cons

One of the challenges I experienced was the "learn as you go" approach. It makes for quick learning, but not only is it stressful, but I definitely could have become more efficient and productive much quicker if I had been formally trained,over the course of two or three days, rather than learning different approaches, software, policies etc over the course of one month. Also watch that thermostat.

Good Experience

Pros

Great culture, people really care about the product, environment conducive to growth, fun activities mixed with good work ethic from everyone

Cons

Some times the job requires long hours and staying late during the week. Also, a lot is expected from everyone with constant pressure to perform.

I am an intern at the company.

Current Employee - Business Development  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

Pros

The culture of the company is quite different of any place that I've seen. Its quite flexible in terms of taking time off and how you spend your time there. Everyone is helpful and for the most part everyone gets along. You still have to work hard and take responsibility to bring value to the company.

Cons

Many times there is a lack of clear communication and structure. Hopefully the Kaplan will help in that sense, on the other hand a lot of the start-up culture will probably disappear, which I think defines the company.

Just improve the communication and work on making the classes better

humbling, but great growth experience

Pros

-The workers here are great people.
    -You gain experience with a lot of great business tools, such as Salesforce and Asana
    - Toby the office dog is a riot
    - lax environment, despite the high expectations placed upon each employee.
    - A lot can be learned from the CEO, as long as you listen closely and aren't easily intimidated

Cons

-Disorganized at times
    -Lack of communication among employees (in process of improvement)

-have a more structured program for interns. Autonomy is great, but interns would likely be more productive and feel more useful if their duties were more fixed.

Meaningful Internship Experience in a Fast-Paced Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Management and general full-time employees support intern growth and development by commending successful work and providing constructive criticism for future improvement
    - Management encourages open communication among team members
    - Tight knit community
    - Management is receptive to feedback from employees and interns
    - Toby (office dog)

Cons

- High level of responsibilities considering interns are not simply "coffee runners" and must complete day-to-day responsibilities similar to that of full-time responsibilities
    - Time management is a necessary skill for success; long hours if you cannot efficiently complete your tasks
    - Since interns are given "full-time" responsibilities, interns may occasionally be responsible for giving instructions to full-time employees, which can be intimidating at first

- Conduct weekly intern meetings throughout the summer; sporadic meetings have been helpful but meeting as a group more consistently might be beneficial
    - Continue to promote community engagement and motivation; I particularly enjoyed the scavenger hunt!
    - Develop monthly professional development events for employees to continue their education about the clean-tech industry but also about professional topics, such as interviewing, conflict resolution, or communication via email

You wear multiple hats everyday- great career experience

Pros

Always learning something new. Small company allows you to gain experience in biz dev, sales, marketing, HR, operations, investor relations etc. Freedom to pursue and execute projects that you can prove are viable.

Cons

Business needs a solid backbone to protect against market fluctuations and shortsightedness

Management needs to be more involved in day to day tasks and projects

Need an on the floor sales manager, involved in actual business, sales channel and product development

Not bad, not great

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

It's a place where you can really take charge and ask to take on more responsibility. You learn a lot about the green training industry through your work with this company.

Cons

This place can be pretty high stress. Kiss your social life good-bye, even if you're an intern. You're often expected to be there till late, sometimes till 9 at night, making it very difficult to look for a full-time job.

Worked for CleanEdison? Contribute to the Community!