Clear Channel

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to learn quickly and learn valuable skills (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 24 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Programming Internship

Current Employee - Programing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Programing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got to meet celebrities, gain valuable experience, make connections, and learn from those who are already where I would like to be.

Cons

A lot of the jobs have been cut into one person doing several different things. Also, more radio programs have become more automated making it less interesting to listen to and shutting out jobs for those who would like to apply as on-air personalities. Those jobs are rarely open. Also, some positions are high turnover positions, and they are always cutting budgets.

If this company doesn't want to lose so much money, maybe they should invest in a Urban contemporary Christian Radio Station. There are so many young adults and teens who enjoy gospel hip-hop and rhythm & Praise gospel music, but this market is ignored almost altogether by this company. While all of the other media mediums have gotten the hint that Christian media is what's hot right now and bringing in the most viewership thus making the most money. They are losing out on too much advertising dollars and will continue to cut budgets. I interned in Chicago, IL.

They will suck the soul of you.... Do yourself a favor and find something else!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office building in the middle of downtown but honestly that all the Pros about Clear Channel.

Cons

Management have no idea how to lead a team to success. Its definitely a dog-eat-dog world indeed particular in this environment. Training is a joke!

Invest in your new hire and properly train them.

Good Internship Experience - Not a Great Place to Stay

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern

Pros

Great company culture, nice people, fun events, "family" environment, feel valued by co-workers, solid internship experience

Cons

No upward mobility, company isn't doing too great overall

Remember WHY people listen to radio in the first place - the personalities. Stop making all CC stations the same nationwide or you'll lose your audience entirely to satellite radio, Pandora or Spotify

Interns Need Professional Development

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The schedule was really flexible. Had the opportunity to completely manage promotional events.

Cons

Interns are mostly just free labor. The position didn't offer much in the way of professional development and overall it was extremely easy. Most of the jobs I did as an intern were just busy work. Not that busy work is all bad but it just wasn't challenging at all and I learned essentially nothing from the work.

Offer some kind of professional development for interns. I think casually showing interns Clear Channels marketing department or strategy would go a long way in satisfying current interns and attracting future interns to the company.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job and great perks. It's fun working in media at times. If you are creative, this can be a great opportunity.

Cons

Radio sales have dwindled. This is truly hard work. Your writing skills, oral speaking skills, presentation ability, and business savvy must be stellar.

Look out for the little people that come in killing it in regards to allowing them to handle accounts for their stations.

Top flight company for products and processes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really smart, committed people in some key positions. Key clients and major agencies were part of the everyday sales process. Best in class company from competitive point of view.

Cons

Consistent bad hiring in management positions caused constant turmoil. Company consistently' reached' on the perceived abilities of managers and this caused friction and hard feelings regards the employees individuals managed. Turnover was rampant during this time- no experience was left in the market.

Figure out a way to stabilize your management and you will have a more stable and productive rank and file.

Best Internship Experience

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

real life work experience, friendly people

Cons

unpaid, long hours for events

Well-rounded experience

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Experience a little of every department, meet lots of people

Cons

Tedious hours, mostly phone calls

Work here if you don't care about making money

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the account managers that I supported. They were very easy to work with and very appreciate of my hard work. That's about all I can say that's positive about my experience here.

Cons

My workload tripled and I never got any type of raise. Mindless work for sales assistants. No type of training offered for people who are interested in growing their careers and advancing in the company.

You can't demand people work more without compensating them for it. There are tons of organizations one can build a successful sales career at with better compensation and benefits packages. Why anyone in sales would still want to work for this organization is beyond me. Plenty of other opportunities at organizations who value their people and reward them for their hard work.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for sales in multiple cities.

Cons

Low commission compared to market competitors.

Increase commissions to reduce AE turnover