Clear Channel

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales

Former Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun job and great perks. It's fun working in media at times. If you are creative, this can be a great opportunity.

Cons

Radio sales have dwindled. This is truly hard work. Your writing skills, oral speaking skills, presentation ability, and business savvy must be stellar.

Look out for the little people that come in killing it in regards to allowing them to handle accounts for their stations.

Top flight company for products and processes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really smart, committed people in some key positions. Key clients and major agencies were part of the everyday sales process. Best in class company from competitive point of view.

Cons

Consistent bad hiring in management positions caused constant turmoil. Company consistently' reached' on the perceived abilities of managers and this caused friction and hard feelings regards the employees individuals managed. Turnover was rampant during this time- no experience was left in the market.

Figure out a way to stabilize your management and you will have a more stable and productive rank and file.

Best Internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

real life work experience, friendly people

Cons

unpaid, long hours for events

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well-rounded experience

Former Employee - Promotions Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Experience a little of every department, meet lots of people

Cons

Tedious hours, mostly phone calls

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for sales in multiple cities.

Cons

Low commission compared to market competitors.

Increase commissions to reduce AE turnover

Work here if you don't care about making money

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really liked the account managers that I supported. They were very easy to work with and very appreciate of my hard work. That's about all I can say that's positive about my experience here.

Cons

My workload tripled and I never got any type of raise. Mindless work for sales assistants. No type of training offered for people who are interested in growing their careers and advancing in the company.

You can't demand people work more without compensating them for it. There are tons of organizations one can build a successful sales career at with better compensation and benefits packages. Why anyone in sales would still want to work for this organization is beyond me. Plenty of other opportunities at organizations who value their people and reward them for their hard work.

Clear Channel has provided me the opportunity to grow as a business professional.

Current Employee - National Sales Coordinator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Sales Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at clear channel I have developed some great relationships with co-workers. All departments interact with one another.

Cons

Clear Channel should increase the salaries of all none account executives wages could be improved. Most of everything is needed ASAP even when it's not urgent can be somewhat annoying.

Management could implement more team building exercises. I feel management could also provide employees with training in other departments employees may be interested in.

Dead End...

Current Employee - Senior Sales Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with and I have learned a great deal since I started here.

Cons

Absolutely no room for advancement especially if you're not in with the boys club. No merit increases; not even a cost of living increase is given to the employees. If you're not upper management, you will be extremely underpaid. Sales staff including assistants are very stressed out by their work loads. The sales initiatives are very chaotic and there are too many to count. There is a real lack of focus from corporate. The bottom line is all they care about, not their employees. And at the end of the year, upper management makes a nice bonus check while the rest of us scrounge for extra cash just to live. It's very de-moralizing.

Listen to your employees. They work hard for you so why shouldn't you work hard for them? Your "lower-totem pole" employees need merit increases and cost of living increases. Your compensation strategy and all job descriptions need to be re-visited. You are not retaining good talent with how you're operating right now. This company has so much potential and does nothing to take advantage of that potential.

Very great experience- gave me the right tools to land a great job post graduation

Former Employee - Promotions Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Got to see the inside of sales and promotions. You can network and make great connections through an internship with this company.

Cons

Very long hours during events

Good environment, but nothing to motivate employees who aren't commission-based

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment and there are health benefits, while not the best they are sufficient. Good relationships within the company and attempts to have employee engagement.

Cons

The company is extremely large and disorganized. Whether or not it's a "company policy," there is a major lack of raises and growth opportunities, which make it difficult for employees to stay motivated, especially when they aren't in commission-based positions.

If there aren't opportunities for advancement/raises, it's difficult to motivate employees

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!