Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, everyone there seems to be close"
    in 11 reviews
  • "It is a great place to learn about broadcasting business"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "General opinion of those part of upper management at the main office is low due to the "less is more" creed"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Employees have been told flat out that the company "does not do cost of living increases"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Atmosphere, Terrible Upper Management

Account Executive (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for less than a year

ProsEnvironment is best in the industry, friendly colleagues and managers always willing to help each other. No traditional cutthroat sales tactics here.

ConsCompany finances are poor. $21billion in debt, more cuts coming. Stay away for now if you are looking for something long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementLaid off a ton of people with no notice. Company spend a lot of money in the wrong places, and the employees pay the price.

Good job if you are looking for part-time work

I have been working at Clear Channel

ProsGreat people to work with, everyone there seems to be close. Many chances to meet people in the entertainment industry which makes work even more fun. Flexible with your schedule.

ConsDifficult to try and move up in the ranks.

VP, Sponsorhips & Biz Dev

Vice President, Sponsorships & Biz Dev (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA

I worked at Clear Channel as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWorking with all stations. Access to Events. Tickets to shows.

ConsLow pay for employees. Lack of promotion.

Great Internship!

Radio Show Intern (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

ProsAble to explore different areas, got to be involved with events and celebrity appearances

ConsInternship was unpaid, none others really

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great learning environment

Best place I have ever worked, most of the time.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

ProsThe People are wonderful, I have never worked with a more family like culture.

ConsBig corporate layoffs are the norm, and usually come around Christmas! Yikes!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! They are your greatest asset!

Experience if a lifetime

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for more than a year

ProsFun people and meeting celebrities

ConsThe low wages and disorganization among teams

Overall a decent place to learn but don't expect great advancement opportunities

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay and benefits were certainly fair for the market size. Almost every corporate PD or Brand Manager I worked with did take an interest in my station (things it was doing right and areas that needed improvement), despite having to manage several markets and stations.

ConsCorporate PD's did take an interest, but feedback is coming from someone flying at 60,000 feet (take it with a grain of salt).
Being a yes man is definitely valued here. Pushback isn't always welcome, especially the lower on the food chain you rank.
Demands are high with no great advancement opportunities - mainly because everything is being consolidated. If you're looking for cookie-cutter radio where you can just blend in and not make a difference - you'll be fine here. But flying under the radar will only get you so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the opinions of the men and women who push buttons, answer phones - the ones who really are the boots-on-the-ground, face of the radio station. It's sometimes the "button pushers", interns, and people who do the day-to-day "grunt" jobs who can provide you with some of the best perspective. Remember where you started in this business. Don't lose sight of that. Sure it's about ratings and revenue, it's a business after all... but are you cultivating a culture of creativity?

Great internship if interested in radio or promotions.

Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

ProsLoved working here. Great internship experience

ConsThere was no pay - but as to be expected as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. I had a positive experience

Had a great time as a promotions intern

Promotions Intern (Former Employee)
Miramar, FL

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for less than a year

ProsI personally enjoyed my internship at Clear Channel. I was able to create social media posts and participate in concerts, meet-and-greets, and more. Seeing Ellie Goulding 5 feet from me was nothing short of incredible.

ConsAt least at the branch I interned at, you could tell it took a while to move up in the company. This made me question whether it was a company I would consider as a potential employer once I graduated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great (but unrealistic in the media/entertainment space) if you could pay your interns minimum wage.

Total Traffic + Weather

On-Air Anchor (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSince moving into the Clear Channel building in Addison and hiring a new Director of Operations in 2013,Total Traffic Dallas has become a much more pleasant and enjoyable place to work. Gone are the days of micromanaging, and employees no longer have to constantly look over their shoulder. There is now an atmosphere of honesty and trust between workers and management, as well as a dramatic improvement in empathy and understanding. If something breaks, it gets fixed. If something or someone is keeping you from doing your job, that will also get fixed. If a client harasses/abuses you, management will stand up for you. It's amazing what regime change and new offices/equipment can do.

ConsThis is still corporate radio, so you can't expect to make much money, even at full-time. Thankfully, they are now implementing performance reviews, so if you do a good job, you will get an annual raise.

Another downside is the continuing low amount of growth opportunities. As with most of the radio business, somebody's gotta die, quit, get cancelled, or get fired for you to advance upwards.

Also, the Obamacare law has negatively affected the company's current healthcare plan offerings. Gone are the traditional HMO plans (if you like your plan, you cannot keep your plan!), and now employees must pay the same or more per paycheck for less coverage, in the form of an HSA or Flex-Spending Account. My own healthcare plan went from traditional HMO with a $20-30 deductible to an HSA with a $2000 deductible. To be clear, I don't blame the company for this; it's just the cost of doing business in a terrible regulatory environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the current path. Keep treating your employees well, keep listening to their ideas, keep backing them up, and you'll do great. Even though it continues to be a tough market, keep trying to find as many affiliates as possible to supply news, traffic, and weather reports.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clear Channel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman. All 330 reviews posted anonymously by Clear Channel employees.