Clear Channel

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great if you're interested in radio

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Clear Channel as an intern

Pros

If you want to go into radio and music then, it doesn't get any better than this.
    -Met cool musicians
    - Very laid back office. Lots of fun and lots of laughs
    - Heard new music before the public

Cons

- Running silly errands
    - No compensation
    -Overworked at certain points

Extremely Corporate, Extremely difficult to get promoted

Former Employee - National Sales Support  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

If your looking for low pay and super 9-5 then this job is for you. You didn't have to take your work home with you.

Cons

People who sucked up and brown nosed to management got promoted. Even with the promotions, the pay is horrible.

Extremely smart, positive employees

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The fun, vibrant culture that is based upon the culture of others. Really supportive work environment, and creative peoples

Cons

Navigating the corporate culture can be tricky at points, due to org's size

Offering professional development opportunities more frequently would be a smart investment~

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Ride If You Adapt

Current Employee - Project Lead  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reinventing a company this size isn't an easy task. I've seen some major changes in staffing in my area as well as major vision changes in a short amount of time. In my opinion, it is amazing it has been as great as it is. The company is so huge...so large, and tries to move like it's so small. Seems to work because there are so many talented project managers and respectful leadership. Everyone seems extremely respectful with each other. Great environment!

Bob Pittman is a great man.

If you love challenges, there's plenty of challenges to encounter here.

Cons

Although dedicated, some developers/system engineers can seem a bit mediocre at the times. The superb often find new jobs working with startup companies. Perhaps this works well in a company as large as this one, where the low level workers are effective being mediocre with superb leadership making it sustainable.

With the amount, and the way layoffs happen - I feel like I can be let go just as I finish typing this. Maybe this is expected when there is a lot of change going on.

If you're afraid of change - stay away from this company at the moment.

Please hire more female employees, seems a bit imbalanced - biased?

instability and demotivated to innovate

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be a great place to learn as cooperation and co-sharing between employees is encouraged at this company. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Senior Management very indecisive. They believe that blatantly copying a competitor's offering is "innovating". Then when it fails they find something else to copy. Virtually no product direction as everyone is just a 'yes man' to the top leaders.

Company also fails to innovate internally and punishes those who try to evolve the culture or processes.

Layoffs happen at random and if you aren't a part of the 'good ol' boys' club, you will always have a target on your back.

re-align your priorities to making a great product. Clean house from the top down, not the other way around. Far too many redundancies at the senior management level.

Loans are due, so employees must be let go. Doesn't matter how hard they work.

Former Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to be creative. Good Co-workers. Sometimes enough money to complete a project

Cons

People are laid off like a bodily function. Chaotic management. Some people work hard, some have friends in higher places.

Try to figure out a profitable business plan for each division. Learn what people do before you lay them off

Great Atmosphere, Terrible Upper Management

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Environment is best in the industry, friendly colleagues and managers always willing to help each other. No traditional cutthroat sales tactics here.

Cons

Company finances are poor. $21billion in debt, more cuts coming. Stay away for now if you are looking for something long term.

Laid off a ton of people with no notice. Company spend a lot of money in the wrong places, and the employees pay the price.

great place to work

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, great atmosphere, tons of room for growth.

Cons

none i can think of

keep up the great work

good for first job great learning opportunity very low pay

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Pros

great work/ life balance, 9-6, people very friendly depends on department

Cons

low pay, ok benefits, no free tickets, mindless work

You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits

Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for less than a year

Pros

You sometimes meet celebrities, but they usually end up smoking pot and drinking beer in your bathroom. The office building in NY is okay, but don't expect to get any help from the security desk if you lose your office key. You get free bagels on Fridays, but they leave them out all day long so they end up being infested by fruit flies (and beware the five hour-old cream cheese).

Cons

The managers don't know what they're doing. They watch when you leave at the end of the day, and they reprimand you if you leave five minutes before your scheduled time even though you don't clock in/out and even if you arrive at work hours before you're supposed to be there.

The managers bring in their dogs to run around the office, which I find to be very unprofessional. I don't want a gross old dog jumping up on me, especially at work.

Co-workers enjoy "telling on" you for ridiculous things -- I told a co-worker that I was unable to attend a non-work-related function because I had a prior commitment (I was teaching a yoga class). The function was actually just a club opening in Brooklyn, where the club was owned by the son of Clear Channel's CEO. I didn't think I had to go to this, as it had nothing to do with work. Cut to several weeks later: my manager reprimanded me for not attending, and she pointedly stated to me that I had the nerve to, instead, "go to yoga class." So my co-worker ratted me out (regarding what I do in my time off) and my manager reprimanded me for doing something on my time off other than attending a non-work-related club opening. Truly preposterous.

If you want to work in a "Mean Girls" environment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind being told that you cannot badmouth Rush Limbaugh (who works for the company), this is the place for you. If you don't mind anti-semitic comments being made by your manager, then this is the place for you. If you don't mind having ZERO medical benefits, then this is the place for you.

I singlehandedly raised readership of the employee newsletter by 60% and, in return, was told by my manager that the rise in readership was solely due to "familiarity." If you work here, you will never get any recognition for your work unless you are in the "cool crowd."

When my manager said she didn't like my writing, I asked her to clarify. I referred to the materials I'd written in the last month, asking what she thought about those, and her response was, "I haven't read those yet."

I quit my job here -- I would rather have no job than work in this toxic environment.

Radio is a dying business so don't waste your time taking a job here.

Check out what's going on in the Marketing/Communications department. It's just full of a bunch of power-hungry bullies who sit around on their butts talking about "the good old days at Six Flags."

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!