Clear Channel

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extremely smart, positive employees

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe fun, vibrant culture that is based upon the culture of others. Really supportive work environment, and creative peoples

ConsNavigating the corporate culture can be tricky at points, due to org's size

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering professional development opportunities more frequently would be a smart investment~

Fun Ride If You Adapt

Project Lead (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsReinventing a company this size isn't an easy task. I've seen some major changes in staffing in my area as well as major vision changes in a short amount of time. In my opinion, it is amazing it has been as great as it is. The company is so huge...so large, and tries to move like it's so small. Seems to work because there are so many talented project managers and respectful leadership. Everyone seems extremely respectful with each other. Great environment!

Bob Pittman is a great man.

If you love challenges, there's plenty of challenges to encounter here.

ConsAlthough dedicated, some developers/system engineers can seem a bit mediocre at the times. The superb often find new jobs working with startup companies. Perhaps this works well in a company as large as this one, where the low level workers are effective being mediocre with superb leadership making it sustainable.

With the amount, and the way layoffs happen - I feel like I can be let go just as I finish typing this. Maybe this is expected when there is a lot of change going on.

If you're afraid of change - stay away from this company at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire more female employees, seems a bit imbalanced - biased?

instability and demotivated to innovate

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCan be a great place to learn as cooperation and co-sharing between employees is encouraged at this company. You will learn a lot.

ConsSenior Management very indecisive. They believe that blatantly copying a competitor's offering is "innovating". Then when it fails they find something else to copy. Virtually no product direction as everyone is just a 'yes man' to the top leaders.

Company also fails to innovate internally and punishes those who try to evolve the culture or processes.

Layoffs happen at random and if you aren't a part of the 'good ol' boys' club, you will always have a target on your back.

Advice to Senior Managementre-align your priorities to making a great product. Clean house from the top down, not the other way around. Far too many redundancies at the senior management level.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loans are due, so employees must be let go. Doesn't matter how hard they work.

Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAbility to be creative. Good Co-workers. Sometimes enough money to complete a project

ConsPeople are laid off like a bodily function. Chaotic management. Some people work hard, some have friends in higher places.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to figure out a profitable business plan for each division. Learn what people do before you lay them off

Great Atmosphere, Terrible Upper Management

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEnvironment is best in the industry, friendly colleagues and managers always willing to help each other. No traditional cutthroat sales tactics here.

ConsCompany finances are poor. $21billion in debt, more cuts coming. Stay away for now if you are looking for something long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementLaid off a ton of people with no notice. Company spend a lot of money in the wrong places, and the employees pay the price.

great place to work

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgreat people, great atmosphere, tons of room for growth.

Consnone i can think of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

good for first job great learning opportunity very low pay

Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

Prosgreat work/ life balance, 9-6, people very friendly depends on department

Conslow pay, ok benefits, no free tickets, mindless work

You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits

Marketing/Communications Department (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou sometimes meet celebrities, but they usually end up smoking pot and drinking beer in your bathroom. The office building in NY is okay, but don't expect to get any help from the security desk if you lose your office key. You get free bagels on Fridays, but they leave them out all day long so they end up being infested by fruit flies (and beware the five hour-old cream cheese).

ConsThe managers don't know what they're doing. They watch when you leave at the end of the day, and they reprimand you if you leave five minutes before your scheduled time even though you don't clock in/out and even if you arrive at work hours before you're supposed to be there.

The managers bring in their dogs to run around the office, which I find to be very unprofessional. I don't want a gross old dog jumping up on me, especially at work.

Co-workers enjoy "telling on" you for ridiculous things -- I told a co-worker that I was unable to attend a non-work-related function because I had a prior commitment (I was teaching a yoga class). The function was actually just a club opening in Brooklyn, where the club was owned by the son of Clear Channel's CEO. I didn't think I had to go to this, as it had nothing to do with work. Cut to several weeks later: my manager reprimanded me for not attending, and she pointedly stated to me that I had the nerve to, instead, "go to yoga class." So my co-worker ratted me out (regarding what I do in my time off) and my manager reprimanded me for doing something on my time off other than attending a non-work-related club opening. Truly preposterous.

If you want to work in a "Mean Girls" environment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind being told that you cannot badmouth Rush Limbaugh (who works for the company), this is the place for you. If you don't mind anti-semitic comments being made by your manager, then this is the place for you. If you don't mind having ZERO medical benefits, then this is the place for you.

I singlehandedly raised readership of the employee newsletter by 60% and, in return, was told by my manager that the rise in readership was solely due to "familiarity." If you work here, you will never get any recognition for your work unless you are in the "cool crowd."

When my manager said she didn't like my writing, I asked her to clarify. I referred to the materials I'd written in the last month, asking what she thought about those, and her response was, "I haven't read those yet."

I quit my job here -- I would rather have no job than work in this toxic environment.

Radio is a dying business so don't waste your time taking a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out what's going on in the Marketing/Communications department. It's just full of a bunch of power-hungry bullies who sit around on their butts talking about "the good old days at Six Flags."

Gives Longevity but no salary increase

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt is a great place to learn about broadcasting business

ConsSalary will remain the same forever

Advice to Senior ManagementStay relevant with the changing times and salary

The leadership was rudderless and overwhelmed

Division President (Former Employee)

ProsInternational opportunity. Great for sales

ConsToo inbred. Burdened with a dying business model (radio)

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around. You have better managers than the ones you've chosen

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clear Channel reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Clear Channel employees.