Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close(in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing(in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management(in 7 reviews)

Micromanaged

Station Management (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA steady paycheck. Decent management and good coworkers at the local level.

ConsEvery department is micromanaged from the corporate level. You do not dare to make meaningful decisions at the local level for fear of being reprimanded by corporate. In many cases the people at corporate creating and dictating policy have never so much as set foot in a radio station. The end result is a local staff that sits back and waits to be told what to do, and is content to do nothing in an effort to simply "stay under the radar." There is so much wrong here that one would have to write a book to cover it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some effort to know the business you are running. You treat everyone as if they work on an assembly line at a factory. Let the creative people be creative. Realize that one size does not fit all.

Clear Channel takes advantage of lower level employees and interns.

Morning Show Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt was a great learning experience.

ConsI could seriously write a novel about the cons, but the biggest one is the absolute disrespect they show employees from entry level to mid-level management. The constant fear of budget cuts and hiring freezes all while trumping record profits. It was maddening.

Not a company to grow with.

Traffic Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLooking from the outside in, it seems like a good company to work with. They seem to be making big moves in the market. Company culture is ok, being in the Radio Industry.

ConsNo raises for 6 years, bad compensation, then after many years of dedicated work they make a number of layoffs and big cuts as they have been for years, this would not be a time to work this type of company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Company Ever

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people at this company are great.

ConsEverything really. This is the cheapest company on earth, very bare bones. No mileage expense, no expense account, no nothing. All commission is horrible and leads to high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on successful merchant campaigns --- if a radio campaign works they'll come back, if not, they won't.

For whatever reason this never crosses anyone's mind and it's an absolute afterthought.

Explain to the DJ's that they don't get paid without the sales team. Stop being so difficult and help the merchants that are paying your paycheck succeed in their campaign.

Over promise and under deliver

Account Executive (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsThey have so many assets to sell. There's something for every client which makes a sales job seem much easier. Having iHeartRadio is a huge asset as many people don't know the name "Clear Channel." They give 2 weeks paid vacation, sick days, medical/dental/eye benefits, 401k, and life insurance.

ConsNo flexibility in schedule. There is zero, i repeat ZERO, training. I know sales. I don't need to be trained in sales. But they promised the best training for a month before I hit the phones/streets, a guarantee before the draw kicks in, a mentor, and an independent workplace. I got NONE of that. In fact, I'm micromanaged. How can you micromanage an entrepreneurial position?

I was also denied training on many occasions and cannot expense anything besides mileage without permission first.

Many times I cannot attend my own company events and when I do, I get the worst seats in the house. They treat employees poorly which hinders employee moral. Managers clearly have their favorites and alienate and humiliate employees they no longer want on their teams until they resign or get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick out the bad apples in management. They are hurting your bottom line and you're losing talented AE's. Also, you're losing business and straining client relationships as a result.

bad management

Manager (Former Employee)

Proslots of good people at my job place.

Consupper management. Managers not from or in your market making blanket decisions that negatively effect your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on sales and how to increase numbers there. Stop pretending you know what you are doing. Let the local stations and managers make decisions.

Employees mean absolutely nothing to CC and you can be cut loose at any time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people with whom you work are likely the best part of the job, if you can avoid getting involved in gossip and other workplace nonsense.

ConsManagement. Salary. Benefits. Pretty much everything about the compensation from this company stinks. Additionally, management does not value its employees and will stop at nothing to cut positions from each market. Morale is incredibly low. People are looking over their shoulders daily, worried about losing their jobs. Not a healthy place to work.

Clear Channel Radio News Anchor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot much to say other than a steady, but small paycheck.

ConsWorst company I ever worked for. Low pay, no advancement opportunities, no raises. Not even a Christmas card. Nothing but a paycheck with no praise or appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage people and treat them like you care!

It's a horrible hell hole stay away!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou're employed. That's about it.

ConsThe management sucks and the culture reflects that

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all new management. All of them are shady self centered bigots who will sell their souls and yours for the right price

Work here if you don't care about making money

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI really liked the account managers that I supported. They were very easy to work with and very appreciate of my hard work. That's about all I can say that's positive about my experience here.

ConsMy workload tripled and I never got any type of raise. Mindless work for sales assistants. No type of training offered for people who are interested in growing their careers and advancing in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't demand people work more without compensating them for it. There are tons of organizations one can build a successful sales career at with better compensation and benefits packages. Why anyone in sales would still want to work for this organization is beyond me. Plenty of other opportunities at organizations who value their people and reward them for their hard work.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!