Clear Channel

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to learn quickly and learn valuable skills (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 24 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great time and great Experience

Former Employee - Promo Intern in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Former Employee - Promo Intern in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

the people you work with are great, and you get to go to a lot of different events that are fun.

Cons

unpaid and a lot of the events you work are on the weekends and are eaither in the morning or at night so you might lose out on a lot of weekends

keep up the good work

Get ready to Party!

Former Employee - Business Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

It's fun! There are parties to attend constantly and you get the benefits of lots of concerts, sports tickets, etc for free! There are also generally many opportunities for advancement, especially if you are willing to move to a new area and if you are interested in taking on a new job. Once you are in the door, your benefits only increase and the opportunities become more abundant. There are also different branches and a number of training activities, so almost whatever your job, you will have an opportunity to go away for training on that position and related software.

Cons

It's publicly traded so there is a lot of red tape. Plus, you have the FCC to watch out for if you are on air. Sometimes you can end up in a market that doesn't have the best management. If the management skills at your particular market are less than adequate, that can really decrease your satisfaction and functionality. I think many people who have worked for Clear Channel and gave a bad review probably just were in a bad market. But Clear Channel is set for success, so if you aren't happy in your market, I'd suggest relocating to another before writing off Clear Channel altogether.

Make sure your General Manager in each market is the right person in the right place.

Good internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment..Many learning and hands-on opportunities..The option to move around departments...Constant feedback and help..Overall good experience. I have interned at other radio companies and compared to them, I got the most out of Clear Channel. It was on par with Sirius XM's program.

Cons

None. I wish I was hired at the end of my internship.

Good experience as an intern for sales & marketing. Learned a lot in terms of the sales process and company itself.

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing Intern in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing Intern in Albany, NY

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good people, positive energy, hard workers.

Cons

unpaid although you receive college credit.

Part-time promotions assistant

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Clear Channel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for; good staff; and fun environment

Cons

Promotions assistants don't always get to interact with other staff; workers are on-call; and I got minimum wage.

Fast-Moving, Ambitious and Funloving Team

Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Los Angeles cluster of Clear Channel Radio stations -- despite the company's reputation -- was a fantastic place to work. I was surrounded by brilliant, creative individuals who were always quick on their feet, embracing new ideas working to make their organization the best possible.

Cons

Being very large and having been acquired by an investment firm caused some rough changes. Some positions were cut. But this is what happens when a company works to become more agile and competitive.

Keep up the positive attitude and the keen eye for talent.

Intern

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

Great environment. You learn a lot and make several beneficial connections.

Cons

Work schedule is all over the place.

Big corporate takes over local radio.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Sussex, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Sussex, NJ

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a very organized company, with money behind the operation, and big talent banks. They are innovative but you will need to be part of the game.

Cons

Always changing commissions and the company is in flux due to the huge debt load they are under. What they innovate you will have to implement.

Watch your back. I saw lots of heads roll.

Overall great experiance

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with as they seem to hire people with very similar personalities. They try and create an overall fun place to be.

Cons

Management definitely had their favorites, and this very select group of people got away with EVERYTHING. I always likened it to high school bullies who knock your lunch tray out of your hands. That's how they made you feel.

Get to know some of your employees better outside of your favorite circle of people.

Great experience and some wonderful people

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn quickly and learn valuable skills. The people are some of the best and smartest I've ever worked with. There is ample training and investment in equipment. The IT projects are challenging and impactful.

Cons

There are revenue challenges preventing the company from showing employees that they are valued. There haven't been bonuses or raises in a number of years. There seems to be a lot of turnover in leadership which causes ripple effects and some lurching around between priorities.

Place more emphasis on taking care of existing employees. There is a lot of perception that new employees can get exorbitant salaries while loyal employees are restrained from getting advances beyond a small percentage increase. Spread it around some. Many employees would love to feel like they are a part of the same culture you cats in Manhattan enjoy. The sizzle reals are nice, but when you trip on the carpet walking back to your cube it's hard to get stoked about how glamorous your company is.