Clear Channel

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to learn quickly and learn valuable skills (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 24 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career for someone who is professional and consistent in sales.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Clear Channel

Pros

Work hard, play hard team environment. Opportunity to travel and hard work is rewarded. Top sales performers do very well and earnings with 6 figures. Advancement possible as company grows.

Cons

Not a place for clock punchers who want little or no change in their life. There will be constant change here with new markets and assignments. You must embrace change to survive!

This is the best job I have ever had!!!!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Biloxi, MS
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

The management team is always looking for ways to help you build your job skills. I grew as an employee and as a person from working with such great people! I was given every opportunity to learn new things ranging from how to build a client base, how to successfully build a market event from the ground up and given the sholls to vamp up my leadership skills! Everyday was exciting! I am grateful to have had the oppotunity to work for the best!!! Wish I could have stayed!

Cons

I know the Account Execs were stressed due to quotas, but money and numbers is the name of the game. Clear Channel seems to be constantly restructing - employees have to hold their breath every time this takes place in hopes that they will have a place to work tomorrow. However from what I understand - most are given a generous severence package.

Give loyal employees some notice before you give them the ax. Also, remember smaller markets are important too. The ties they have with their community is on a much more personal level and the benefits of these relationships make the name "Clear Channel" stonger and long term.

It was a great time and great Experience

Former Employee - Promo Intern in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Former Employee - Promo Intern in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

the people you work with are great, and you get to go to a lot of different events that are fun.

Cons

unpaid and a lot of the events you work are on the weekends and are eaither in the morning or at night so you might lose out on a lot of weekends

keep up the good work

Get ready to Party!

Former Employee - Business Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

It's fun! There are parties to attend constantly and you get the benefits of lots of concerts, sports tickets, etc for free! There are also generally many opportunities for advancement, especially if you are willing to move to a new area and if you are interested in taking on a new job. Once you are in the door, your benefits only increase and the opportunities become more abundant. There are also different branches and a number of training activities, so almost whatever your job, you will have an opportunity to go away for training on that position and related software.

Cons

It's publicly traded so there is a lot of red tape. Plus, you have the FCC to watch out for if you are on air. Sometimes you can end up in a market that doesn't have the best management. If the management skills at your particular market are less than adequate, that can really decrease your satisfaction and functionality. I think many people who have worked for Clear Channel and gave a bad review probably just were in a bad market. But Clear Channel is set for success, so if you aren't happy in your market, I'd suggest relocating to another before writing off Clear Channel altogether.

Make sure your General Manager in each market is the right person in the right place.

A great place to work and gain good communication skills

Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

I worked in the summer time so they always had some type of events going on. The atmosphere was amazing and my learning environment was the best. It honestly was one of my better internships. Recording on the radio was also exciting to hear yourself. They really involved you and it was a great experience.

Cons

I didn't have any benefits but that comes along with an internship. The management could sometime be a little irritating at times. Driving to different promotion sites and traveling was sometimes difficult but overall a good company.

None

It was a good time, but not a lot of responsibility.

Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Bosses were cool. Lots of free concerts. Met some famous artists. Lots of freedom.

Cons

Not paid, often I had nothing to do for long periods of time.

Make the program more structured.

Good internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment..Many learning and hands-on opportunities..The option to move around departments...Constant feedback and help..Overall good experience. I have interned at other radio companies and compared to them, I got the most out of Clear Channel. It was on par with Sirius XM's program.

Cons

None. I wish I was hired at the end of my internship.

Good experience as an intern for sales & marketing. Learned a lot in terms of the sales process and company itself.

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing Intern in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing Intern in Albany, NY

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

good people, positive energy, hard workers.

Cons

unpaid although you receive college credit.

Part-time promotions assistant

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Clear Channel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for; good staff; and fun environment

Cons

Promotions assistants don't always get to interact with other staff; workers are on-call; and I got minimum wage.

Fast-Moving, Ambitious and Funloving Team

Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Los Angeles cluster of Clear Channel Radio stations -- despite the company's reputation -- was a fantastic place to work. I was surrounded by brilliant, creative individuals who were always quick on their feet, embracing new ideas working to make their organization the best possible.

Cons

Being very large and having been acquired by an investment firm caused some rough changes. Some positions were cut. But this is what happens when a company works to become more agile and competitive.

Keep up the positive attitude and the keen eye for talent.