Clear Channel

Updated August 19, 2014

2.9

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Company Ever

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

The people at this company are great.

Cons

Everything really. This is the cheapest company on earth, very bare bones. No mileage expense, no expense account, no nothing. All commission is horrible and leads to high turnover.

Focus on successful merchant campaigns --- if a radio campaign works they'll come back, if not, they won't.

For whatever reason this never crosses anyone's mind and it's an absolute afterthought.

Explain to the DJ's that they don't get paid without the sales team. Stop being so difficult and help the merchants that are paying your paycheck succeed in their campaign.

Over promise and under deliver

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Burbank, CA

Pros

They have so many assets to sell. There's something for every client which makes a sales job seem much easier. Having iHeartRadio is a huge asset as many people don't know the name "Clear Channel." They give 2 weeks paid vacation, sick days, medical/dental/eye benefits, 401k, and life insurance.

Cons

No flexibility in schedule. There is zero, i repeat ZERO, training. I know sales. I don't need to be trained in sales. But they promised the best training for a month before I hit the phones/streets, a guarantee before the draw kicks in, a mentor, and an independent workplace. I got NONE of that. In fact, I'm micromanaged. How can you micromanage an entrepreneurial position?

I was also denied training on many occasions and cannot expense anything besides mileage without permission first.

Many times I cannot attend my own company events and when I do, I get the worst seats in the house. They treat employees poorly which hinders employee moral. Managers clearly have their favorites and alienate and humiliate employees they no longer want on their teams until they resign or get fired.

Pick out the bad apples in management. They are hurting your bottom line and you're losing talented AE's. Also, you're losing business and straining client relationships as a result.

bad management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

lots of good people at my job place.

Cons

upper management. Managers not from or in your market making blanket decisions that negatively effect your success.

Concentrate on sales and how to increase numbers there. Stop pretending you know what you are doing. Let the local stations and managers make decisions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promotions Intern during college

Current Employee - Promotions Intern  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Promotions Intern in Raleigh, NC

Pros

A fun work experience promoting media and entertainment for a major corporation.

Cons

Internships are unpaid. Even without pay, there should be a considerable amount of learning experience offered and full-time employees do not put a focus on giving that to college interns.

Loans are due, so employees must be let go. Doesn't matter how hard they work.

Former Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Ability to be creative. Good Co-workers. Sometimes enough money to complete a project

Cons

People are laid off like a bodily function. Chaotic management. Some people work hard, some have friends in higher places.

Try to figure out a profitable business plan for each division. Learn what people do before you lay them off

Employees mean absolutely nothing to CC and you can be cut loose at any time.

Pros

The people with whom you work are likely the best part of the job, if you can avoid getting involved in gossip and other workplace nonsense.

Cons

Management. Salary. Benefits. Pretty much everything about the compensation from this company stinks. Additionally, management does not value its employees and will stop at nothing to cut positions from each market. Morale is incredibly low. People are looking over their shoulders daily, worried about losing their jobs. Not a healthy place to work.

Clear Channel Radio News Anchor

Pros

Not much to say other than a steady, but small paycheck.

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for. Low pay, no advancement opportunities, no raises. Not even a Christmas card. Nothing but a paycheck with no praise or appreciation.

Learn how to manage people and treat them like you care!

Account Manager

Pros

Large organization so you get decent benefits

Cons

Management in the Cincinnati office is lacking

When you get a good manager in a department do everything you can to keep them.

A place for the Pro-Active Indidividual

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you want to work in a relaxed and laid-back environment, this is a good place to do so. If you are a person who prefers working by yourself, this is the place for you.

Cons

As an intern it is hard to find a place for yourself among your superiors. You are expected to be a "self-starter" but there weren't any resources provided to do so. By "resources" I meant that we were limited to the things we were exposed to. Your best bet is to find a mentor that will take time outside his/her schedule to work with you. The employees are very unprofessional and there is a lack of concern for the well being of their interns.

I do not want to hold the whole Clear Channel Inc. accountable for my dissatisfaction because I interned for one part of the company. I interned at the Atlanta office and my experience was subpar. Management needs to consider creating an actual program for interns, with the goals clearly set out. Frankly, I did not gain much experience with this company.

My experience at Clear Channel was AWESOME...

Current Employee - Producer, Board-Op  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Producer, Board-Op in Detroit, MI

Pros

I worked with some of the greats in radio and televison. I leaned a lot about the the industry as an intern and as an employee. There were perks such as meeting celebrities on a daily basis, getting free concert tickets and free access to clubs.

Cons

There weren't many who were wiling to help your grow.

Value your hard working interns a little more.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!