Clear Creek ISD

John E Wilson PHD

Great staff

Former Employee - Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great students and staff, enjoy summer break

Cons

Some over involved parents would often go against policies and they would get their way, even if it was not in the best interest of student

Don't be so fearful of saying no to parents

Communication Issues

I worked at Clear Creek ISD

Pros

Lots of work.... keeps you busy.

Cons

Poor communication across the board.

good teachers that help you adjust

I have been working at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

wide variety of classes for students facilities are good or being updated overall morale is okay

Cons

teachers need higher pay and upper management seems to have forgotten what it is like to be in classroom

make sure you are listening to teachers' concerns

It's a great school district to work for that really cares about both its students and employees.

I worked at Clear Creek ISD

Pros

Competitive wages
    Listen to its employees
    Opportunity for growth
    Employees notified of important decisions in a timely manner

Cons

Some classrooms are crowded,
    Not enough technology in all classrooms,

Be more open to other teaching strategies

Delusional administration

Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money is fine; only districts that pay better are even bigger/better ones and the ones who have to pay a lot to get people to work there. Benefits are on par. District has a reputation for being good, at least in the area. One of the HS is nationally ranked, for example.

Cons

Parents control the administration, so even when they are utterly, completely wrong and you've been diplomatic with them, administration will cave (I'm saying this, and I'm a pretty flexible teacher).

There is a TON of politics both at the campus and district level...a TON. If you don't have those skills, do NOT consider working here--you will find yourself the loser in a lot of situations, regardless of who's right or how good your ideas are, etc.

When administration tells you how to handle a situation or what's expected, or what they will do for you, etc., etc.--DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. They will ALWAYS do what is in their best interest (personally or PR-wise), even if it means throwing you under the bus. My principal LITERALLY told me that if anyone (parent, district, etc) ever questioned anything I did, that she would tell them whatever she needed to to get them off her back, even if it meant stabbing me in the back (can you *imagine* a principal saying such a thing??).

***To piggyback on the previous point--and this is a biggie--admins will always tell you an answer that is straight out of a teaching manual or a Sunday School lesson, but what they actually do or want you to do is to keep the APPEARANCE of doing those things, while actually doing whatever you need to do, specious or otherwise, to accomplish their (notice I didn't say your) goals. PS: doing the "right" thing that they told you to do almost never accomplishes their goals.

Stay out of the spotlight for the first 5 years at least. Even if you're hired to revamp or improve something, DON'T TRY TOO HARD--you will fail. People in this area want the status quo, so you'll have to make changes (even improvements) very slowly, and feel things out as you go. If your principal or an AP sees you after 2 years there and introduces themselves or doesn't know who you are, that's probably a good thing here.

LONG STORY SHORT
    If you are a political and charismatic person, take your time and feel people and situations out--regardless of what people SAY (they are ALWAYS thinking something else), spend your first couple of years coasting and making friends--the RIGHT friends, and, you know, you're a good teacher (meh), you may have success in CCISD. But beware administration, suspect everyone (even your "friends" WILL stab you in the back if it suits their purposes--you may not believe me until the first time it happens to you--but it WILL happen), make sure to make friends with the right people, do whatever it takes to make the school and district look good, etc., etc., you may have a long and happy career in CCISD.

BUT--if you are not good or willing to do all of those things, RUN. I am not kidding; I've taught in a few different districts--IT MAY SOUND AND LOOK GOOD, but RUN!

Do not tell teachers to do one thing and then punish them or make them your enemy when they follow your instructions. If a teacher comes to you about something you've promised to support them with, do it rather than make things even worse than before. Be aware that what you hear about specific teachers, even from principals, may be false. Don't employ "big brother"-type tactics against those of us you don't like. Don't give in to and learn to recognize political maneuvering and don't mistake it for success.

I really could just go on and on. I don't know about the very top (I know the Superintendent just won best in Texas or some such), but at the campus and sometimes middle levels of district management, there is a lot of BS happening.

Great job - very demanding!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in League City, TX

I worked at Clear Creek ISD full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hours and good benefits plus plus the people there are great to work with.

Cons

Leadership was good - there didn't seem to be much time for individualized training.

Need training on specialized software systems the first week of work, not the second or third, esp, when you are expected to use it excessively the first week or so.

Clear Creek was great for me as a teacher.

Former Employee - Teacher in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in League City, TX

I worked at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for a great principal and made incredible friends at my school. There are some really good leaders in the district office who have high expectations for the teachers and principals. I was trained well and developed every year. The people I worked with focused on the kids and worked together to reach goals and overcome obstacles.

Cons

Large districts have issues at times and budget constraints cause problems but for the most part CCISD handled things well.

Spend more money on technology.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home, easy commute

Cons

Horrible administration and training, no teacher support

undervalued teacher

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher

I have been working at Clear Creek ISD full-time

Pros

CCISD is a large district and networking will make it easier to transfer within schools.
    Large and growing district equals less chance of downsizing

Cons

Huge increases in health insurance premiums the last three years. Only one raise in three years that does not come anywhere near offsetting the increase in health insurance premiums.
    Heavy handed central administration does not encourage innovative and responsive teaching - every class in the district at the same grade level needs to be on the same page of scripted curriculum.
    Over emphasis on test scores.
    Increasing implementation of coaching positions to "teach" teachers instead of using scarce HR funds to hire more classroom teachers to decrease class sizes.

Respect and value the experience and education of the teaching staff that you hired. Give them the flexibility to do what they they think their students need to achieve.

Enlightening

Current Employee - Clerk in League City, TX
    Current Employee - Clerk in League City, TX

I have been working at Clear Creek ISD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very nice faculty to work with.

Cons

Compensation for paraprofessionls could be better