ClearSlide Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
3.2

ClearSlide CEO / Co-Founder Al Lieb
Al Lieb

Pros
  • Smart, hard-working coworkers, many of whom are very passionate about working here (in 7 reviews)

• Beautiful views, fun outings, good people/high energy, company product is awesome (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We have no one to copy a strategy or business model from (in 5 reviews)

• Half baked go to market strategy (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company on the verge of doing big things...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Culture = people are great, answer all your questions, and share the knowledge/wisdom freely
    -Celebrate = sales org celebrates wins with fun events and prizes. Also use bells and gongs to recognize success.
    -Unlimited PTO = nice if you are looking for flexibility
    -Great product = game changing product for anyone with a sales org.

Cons

-Development = while the product is good, it could be better. Occasional issues with software on new releases. Also need to create open API to integrate with more CRMs.
    -Selling in an emerging market = not the company if you want to sell a commodity or be highly transactional. This is a new and sometimes complicated sale, so be prepared for longer sales cycles.

-Find the recipe = sales org is still looking for ability to replicate success month after month. Need to better tune the tools/training/marketing to help Account Executives hit quota.
    -More Marketing = need to get much more aggressive in marketing and targeting the right verticals/markets
    -Keep developing the product = get more engineers and keep getting top talent

(Engineer) Clearslide is going through growing pains, but it's still a good place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Fairly competitive salary with a generous stock option grant
    - Work/life balance is very fair. Your hours are not tracked, you can work from home when necessary, and time off is on an honor policy (which has the downside that when you leave, you get no PTO days paid for). Just get your work done and get to your meetings!
    - Smart, hard-working coworkers, many of whom are very passionate about working here. Our team manager did a great job in being supportive and trying to keep us happy.
    - They have an awesome IT department. Takes care of everything and goes out of their way to keep the office running.
    - The company has a cool culture. They have their own little social network to meet other sliders, and have various groups based on interest, like fitness, sports, and volunteering.

Cons

- The code base and infrastructure is sorely lacking. Most code was hurriedly written by the CEO and fails to incorporate much of the standard technologies in place for things like ORM, Dependency Injection, etc. The databases are poorly designed and there's a huge lack of engineering support for the business intelligence / data teams.
    - Lack of documentation, in both the code and in a wiki. When I first arrived, there was no documentation for new hires. I had to write my own documentation so future engineers wouldn't be so lost!
    - I met a couple senior engineers here who made it very apparent they had no interest in helping me succeed. Simple questions were met with three word answers and an aloof expression. Fortunately, most people were not like that and I had no trouble making a couple friends :)
    - I have almost ten years of experience in building successful software and even leading teams. However I was brought on as a non-senior engineer (why?). More importantly, many of my ideas and suggestions for improvement were met with resistance, scrutiny, and distrust (which, truthfully, got better over time). I found some people simply had no interest in changing the status quo, or had their own ideas about how to do things and simply were uninterested in alternative viewpoints. The takeaway is that regardless of your experience, you'll need to prove yourself to be listened to at Clearslide: I concede that whether or not this is a negative thing is debatable.
    - The sprint planning and QA flow needs to be reworked. We spent countless hours trying to plan a week and half of work, so QA could spend an entire week testing it. QA seemed overly involved with the whole process, and there needs to be a buffer between QA and Dev to prioritize bugs so Dev isn't constantly switching gears to address small or trivial issues.

Don't be afraid to challenge your engineers, especially those with a proven track record. Continue to improve development: QA is too heavily involved and sprint planning shouldn't take as long as it does.

ClearSlide is a rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since I started, ClearSlide has grown substantially in terms of headcount, product, and infrastructure. Growth presents challenges. Leadership hasn’t always handled challenges perfectly, but they have sought to understand their employees’ frustrations and implement changes for the better. If actions speak louder than words, then the marked improvements that follow biannual company-wide surveys make a statement about leadership’s priorities.

From a career growth perspective, ClearSlide is a meritocracy in the truest sense. The strongest performers are promoted, so young talent often has the opportunity to learn from senior sales leadership. Every day on the job is an invaluable education because ClearSlide’s sales process requires a rep to be disciplined across the entire sales cycle. As a result of these learning opportunities, ClearSlide consistently produces extremely high-caliber talent.

ClearSlide’s product is unparalleled. Those that suggest it is ‘nice-to-have’ are making excuses for sales inadequacies. Even the most disgruntled former employees bring ClearSlide to their new companies because it is head and shoulders above the competition.

Cons

If you are considering a job at ClearSlide, you’re probably looking at this site to see what it is like to work here. In my opinion, it is a great place to work, but don’t take my word for it. Talk to everyone you can: customers, employees, former employees, investors, or literally any primary source.

Extend the boundaries of your research beyond Glassdoor. That applies to any job search, not just ClearSlide. Make the effort to form an educated opinion about the place you’re about to spend over half your waking hours. You won’t regret it.

Stay the course

Expect to work hard but the experience and rewards are worth it

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sales management is making progress to implement a stronger chance for success including hiring more sales development reps (more warm leads!) and investing in training (inside and outside the company). A lot is expected of you but you're rewarded for your efforts including Excellence club trips and promotions based on production.

Lastly, the people foster a driven and fun environment.

Cons

It's a challenge to manage the full sales cycle from prospecting in territory, running trials, closing and managing paid growth accounts. Live work balance will be tested. Also, ClearSlide is a start up unknown to a majority of companies so you are truly breaking in to earn a first meeting.

Great job identifying areas to move the needle and continue to cement ClearSlide's process!

Account Executive

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who make up the world of ClearSlide are the absolute nicest people you will ever meet. They are so hard working and fun to spend your day around. The transparency of the founders and the VP of sales is absolutely the best of I've experienced. The offices are conveniently located in the FiDi area make it easy to get to work.

Cons

- The sales strategy and marketing efforts need to be greatly examined before growth of the sales team should even be approached. The product does not have a clear voice in a increasingly crowded "cloud" software space.
    - If you do not enjoy the 100% grind of finding your own leads (SDR team is still being built up so hopefully this changes), being a hunter, ringing gongs, having constant distraction from co-workers, and hitting highs/lows on your quota - then don't apply to ClearSlide. By the end of my experience I was doubting everything about my ability to sell, but the expectation that it's all the AE's fault for not reaching quota is only part of the story. Need more inbound/marketing efforts to help educate prospects. Also territories make it impossible to find new businesses to go after because everything has been taken.
    - The work space is very drab. An open floor plan is very common in the city but allow people to have at least a quarter of a dividing wall, more natural elements, different lighting options. It's really hard to be hear customers on the phone and be heard due to the open space. Comes off as a call center vibe to clients.

Really improve the level of training for your management team. Steps are being made in this direction, but you need to realize management is not checking items off a list, or hitting numbers alone. It's finding out how to cultivate the individual personality of your employees to make them as successful as they can possibly be. Yes, sales is a "get after to it on your own" world but throwing a new rep onto the floor with low support won't create a successful career path - invest time in your employees from day one. Really understand the personality type of your employee, nurturing them not just solving the current problem. The newly created CS university is a step in the right direction, but putting people on coaching plans ever other quarter is not helping your employees be successful at the company. The morale is low and the reality of successfully hitting quota is minimal. The software industry is difficult but there is more to the mix that needs to be addressed.

Product has been better

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great views hard working people

Cons

Recently the product team has been lackluster. There are too many egos and not enough communication. There have been a number of builds contracted that have not been executed. Customers have to beg to get very reasonable builds completed. The product team put themselves on a pedestal and the constant battle with sales is draining. ClearSlide possesses a very talented product staff capable of remarkable work. The challenge comes from pointing them in the right direction.

Look at reorganizing leadership before it's too late.

Positive experience and only getting better

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Interesting, challenging, and NEW problems to work on within engineering
    - Extensive opportunities for growth as an individual and organization
    - Access to leadership and cross-functional collaboration
    - Extremely friendly people who are willing to share their knowledge/time

Cons

- Lots of people in sales seem to complain on here but it's likely their first job carrying a quota in enterprise software
    - Challenges with prospecting into sales orgs, but from what I understand reps here get paid above market and are obtaining valuable experience

Great Workplace !

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clearslide is a Great Workplace !

Cons

Not much to complain about Clearslide

Run don't walk

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide as a contractor

Pros

Funded is a good thing

Cons

Won't be funded forever however

Keep your resume polished

Extremely Educational

I have been working at ClearSlide

Pros

What some people seem to forget about ClearSlide is that this company did not exist 5 years ago. "An obvious point", you may be saying to yourself but take a moment to absorb the weight of having to take a company from an idea to product then scale to today's ClearSilde. Imagine having to do this without ever doing it before. Now you are in the shoes of the cofounders. Unlike the product, building a company has a steep learning curve. Mistakes have been made but something I have seen with CS is that mistakes are addressed and for the most point, rectified. That said, CS is not a cakewalk, but if you put your head down and work smart you will succeed and you will learn lessons that you can take with you on your next venture. CS is pioneering a new market and if you are looking for a company a bit more mature, selling a known product in an established market - you may be better off some place else.

Cons

Cross-departmental communication could be better. Priorities are not aligned but from my understanding this is a work in progress.

Employees are an asset not a cost. Happy employees equals success. Understand that this isn't the easy place in the valley to call home. The smoke has cleared and the employees still around are not just there for the money. Reciprocate accordingly.