ClearSlide Reviews

67 reviews filtered by
3.1
ClearSlide CEO / Co-Founder Al Lieb
Al Lieb

Pros
  • Smart, hard-working coworkers, many of whom are very passionate about working here (in 7 reviews)

• Beautiful views, fun outings, good people/high energy, company product is awesome (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We have no one to copy a strategy or business model from (in 5 reviews)

• Half baked go to market strategy (in 3 reviews)

1. Lots of changes and gaining momentum

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For the last half-year, I've been observing a lot of change in the culture and overall drive. New executive and top leadership are talented and inspiring, and the general vibe is that the company is on the right track for success.
    Collaboration within teams and across teams are generally positive and there are no sign of internal competition or egocentric behavior. There is a good feeling that we are all in to be successful together.
    Unlimited PTO policy is great and works if you coordinate well with management.
    There are internal programs to elevate personal interest such as volunteer work to support Veterans, LGBT communities, homelessness and environmental initiatives.

Cons

Legacy internal systems and processes are not 100% prepared to scale. Some work needs to be done (and it's being done) to refine the internal systems to be run more accurately and efficiently. Benefits package is excellent but not top in the industry (ie. does't have a commuter discount program in place).

Keep doing the great work. Maintain a positive momentum going and the staff exciting about the product and the personal success.

Potential Ruined by Poor Leadership

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many of the people working here are motivated and intelligent individuals. There are some resources available for personal growth. but these are only available to those who have a manager who likes them or have killer sales that speak for themselves. Unfortunately, for most, this is just a landing pad to gain some new skill sets until your fired or find something better.

Cons

In terms of opportunity and advancement, It appears that ClearSlide places very little value in their employees and their capabilities, and a lot of trust in outside resources and newly hired execs.

Over the past 6 months, after hiring the new COO, about 50 people have been laid off or quit, 15 new org changes have taken place, and around 10 new high level execs have been brought on (all of whom are friends or former colleagues of the COO).

Not one long standing employee has been promoted to one of these high-level exec positions (only small title changes and bumps in salary).

With that being said, the new execs are given authority to make huge decisions without much insight- and many choose to leave out their teams in their decisions. I have seen the new execs cussing, talking poorly of their teams, making un sensible demands/requests, and show disrespect toward current systems and processes.

When attempting to collaborate at and our all-hands meetings, many employees look restless and confused about the changes taking place. Instead of being able to share their concerns, people are shut off by speeches by the COO, who continuously throws out buzz words in attempt to inspire the crowd.

ClearSlide is slowly but surely stripping down the foundation for which is has successfully grown upon. They are choosing to test out new growth methods (leaders, comp structures, marketing strategies, etc.) rather than invest in their employees..

And low and behold, their new methods aren't working and they've had the lowest performing past few months in history!

All the new org changes and comp structures have resulted in a loss of revenue, morale and makes ClearSlide an very unpleasant working environment.

Trust and invest in your employees. Communicate! There are so much talent that is going to waste here. Too many egos and not enough collaboration.

Company showed glimpses of promise, but otherwise stagnant.

I worked at ClearSlide

Pros

A lot of pros here: company is positioned well in the marketplace, great location, surrounded by intelligent colleagues, most of the organization seemed driven and on the same page, good work-life balance, great work hard/play hard culture, comp was decent.

Cons

Only real gripe here was that I was laid off due to performance, although this issue was never brought up to me prior to this incident. I put 110% effort into my role, so this came as a shock to me. Really disappointed with how HR handled this situation, and it goes to show how much they truly value their employees.

Invest in your employees, since this is one of the values you preach. Otherwise, this company will always be a revolving door.

Great farm team

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to sell to sales leaders and get insights into how every company sells. Great experience for the next job- it is the best AAA team in San Francisco. Complete a year at ClearSlide you can go anywhere. Consider ClearSlide your fifth year of undergrad- learn as much as you can and make the jump after 12 months.

Cons

The ground is scorched. Find a good account to work and you'll see that ten other reps have previously burnered the account down.

Integrate with more CRM's. Try managing your employees based on the analytics the platform provides. You sell the idea of engagement but don't actually use it. Provide more training on how to prospect, contact strategies and sell into specific verts.

Terrible Leadership, Zero Direction

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Teach you how to call people
    - Travel a bit
    - Speak to Enterprise companys

Cons

- Leadership is terrible. Every smart and dedicated leader they had was fired or lost to a competing company
    - No growth professionally

Stop the re-orgs. Please.. please stop the stupid re-orgs.

Corporate Account Executive

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Awesome office location
    - Amazing coworkers
    - Good health care package

Cons

- Work/life balance. It's a joke.

- Unlimited PTO. Another joke, at least for the sales team. Asking for time off results in guilt trips and expectations of still working and being available while out of the office. God help you if you're sick.

- Helicopter management. If you want responsible and dedicated employees, be willing to treat them the same way you expect to be treated.

- Culture of fear. I have never been in an environment where people are terrified for their jobs and say so with regularity.

Pretty much just throwing my hands up and the towel in at this point.

Has tons of potential and low hanging fruit. Navigate the politics and manage up, you'll do well.

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great location
    - If you excel, you'll get promoted very quickly
    - Professional development opportunities are available and encouraged
    - Good employee onboarding and training program
    - "Spare no expense" attitude towards office tech and equipment
    - Access to all C-level execs to give feedback

Cons

- Majority of leadership and departments do not work well together, many silos and echo chambers
    - Follow through seems scarce at all levels
    - Over saturated market; too many sales reps, very hard to hit goal
    - Product delivers about 70% of what is being promised to customers

Focus on finishing our existing products functionality, customers are not happy, competitors are gaining.

Operating on open feedback should be changed to operating on "Validated Feedback". Open feedback is not actionable or followed up on.

Great company on the verge of doing big things...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great Culture = people are great, answer all your questions, and share the knowledge/wisdom freely
    -Celebrate = sales org celebrates wins with fun events and prizes. Also use bells and gongs to recognize success.
    -Unlimited PTO = nice if you are looking for flexibility
    -Great product = game changing product for anyone with a sales org.

Cons

-Development = while the product is good, it could be better. Occasional issues with software on new releases. Also need to create open API to integrate with more CRMs.
    -Selling in an emerging market = not the company if you want to sell a commodity or be highly transactional. This is a new and sometimes complicated sale, so be prepared for longer sales cycles.

-Find the recipe = sales org is still looking for ability to replicate success month after month. Need to better tune the tools/training/marketing to help Account Executives hit quota.
    -More Marketing = need to get much more aggressive in marketing and targeting the right verticals/markets
    -Keep developing the product = get more engineers and keep getting top talent

(Engineer) Clearslide is going through growing pains, but it's still a good place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Fairly competitive salary with a generous stock option grant
    - Work/life balance is very fair. Your hours are not tracked, you can work from home when necessary, and time off is on an honor policy (which has the downside that when you leave, you get no PTO days paid for). Just get your work done and get to your meetings!
    - Smart, hard-working coworkers, many of whom are very passionate about working here. Our team manager did a great job in being supportive and trying to keep us happy.
    - They have an awesome IT department. Takes care of everything and goes out of their way to keep the office running.
    - The company has a cool culture. They have their own little social network to meet other sliders, and have various groups based on interest, like fitness, sports, and volunteering.

Cons

- The code base and infrastructure is sorely lacking. Most code was hurriedly written by the CEO and fails to incorporate much of the standard technologies in place for things like ORM, Dependency Injection, etc. The databases are poorly designed and there's a huge lack of engineering support for the business intelligence / data teams.
    - Lack of documentation, in both the code and in a wiki. When I first arrived, there was no documentation for new hires. I had to write my own documentation so future engineers wouldn't be so lost!
    - I met a couple senior engineers here who made it very apparent they had no interest in helping me succeed. Simple questions were met with three word answers and an aloof expression. Fortunately, most people were not like that and I had no trouble making a couple friends :)
    - I have almost ten years of experience in building successful software and even leading teams. However I was brought on as a non-senior engineer (why?). More importantly, many of my ideas and suggestions for improvement were met with resistance, scrutiny, and distrust (which, truthfully, got better over time). I found some people simply had no interest in changing the status quo, or had their own ideas about how to do things and simply were uninterested in alternative viewpoints. The takeaway is that regardless of your experience, you'll need to prove yourself to be listened to at Clearslide: I concede that whether or not this is a negative thing is debatable.
    - The sprint planning and QA flow needs to be reworked. We spent countless hours trying to plan a week and half of work, so QA could spend an entire week testing it. QA seemed overly involved with the whole process, and there needs to be a buffer between QA and Dev to prioritize bugs so Dev isn't constantly switching gears to address small or trivial issues.

Don't be afraid to challenge your engineers, especially those with a proven track record. Continue to improve development: QA is too heavily involved and sprint planning shouldn't take as long as it does.

11. ClearSlide is a rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since I started, ClearSlide has grown substantially in terms of headcount, product, and infrastructure. Growth presents challenges. Leadership hasn’t always handled challenges perfectly, but they have sought to understand their employees’ frustrations and implement changes for the better. If actions speak louder than words, then the marked improvements that follow biannual company-wide surveys make a statement about leadership’s priorities.

From a career growth perspective, ClearSlide is a meritocracy in the truest sense. The strongest performers are promoted, so young talent often has the opportunity to learn from senior sales leadership. Every day on the job is an invaluable education because ClearSlide’s sales process requires a rep to be disciplined across the entire sales cycle. As a result of these learning opportunities, ClearSlide consistently produces extremely high-caliber talent.

ClearSlide’s product is unparalleled. Those that suggest it is ‘nice-to-have’ are making excuses for sales inadequacies. Even the most disgruntled former employees bring ClearSlide to their new companies because it is head and shoulders above the competition.

Cons

If you are considering a job at ClearSlide, you’re probably looking at this site to see what it is like to work here. In my opinion, it is a great place to work, but don’t take my word for it. Talk to everyone you can: customers, employees, former employees, investors, or literally any primary source.

Extend the boundaries of your research beyond Glassdoor. That applies to any job search, not just ClearSlide. Make the effort to form an educated opinion about the place you’re about to spend over half your waking hours. You won’t regret it.

Stay the course