Clearbrook Agency Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
3.6
Carl M. La Mell

1. New here, but it seems like a solid company thus far.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good communication, good and numerous benefits, lots of training provided, friendly co-workers. I work in one of the CILAs, so my experience might not be accurately representative of the company as a whole.

Cons

Some staff are less responsive and it's low-paying. There are a lot of protocols and procedures to learn and follow which can be nerve-racking but for me, my co-workers are very friendly and always willing to help.

The pay seems lower here than other similar jobs, so I'd advise upping the pay so that our jobs feel worth the time.

2. Service facilitator

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some flexible scheduling, good coworkers, working to help families. Good benefits.

Cons

This company is going down hill and upper management doesn't seem to care. Unrealistic caseloads plus too many duties to give quality work. Very over worked and under paid. Duties keep increasing without compensation.

Workers know working for a non profit does not make a lot of money but the increased duties and caseloads with no increased pay is unfair, your workers are burned out!

3. Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency part-time (more than a year)

Pros

When you go into any workplace and you see that every single employee is smiling and very happy to be there, you KNOW it will be a positive place to work. That is exactly what you see when you first walk into a Clearbrook agency !! Everyone says hello and good morning to each other and seems to always have an extra kick in their step. Now, that may not seem like a big deal to you, but can you honestly say you know a ton of companies in which all the employees actually love their job and cannot go to work ?? They seem to be few and far between these days. Not only is Clearbrook a very positive place to work, but it is extremely rewarding as well. As an SLA at Clearbook, you may be working with a number of people with all sorts of disabilities. Clearbook provides you with a ton of support, as well as the training and information you need to highlight and bring out all of the amazing abilities in every client you work with !! It truly is a unique and rewarding job.

*Positive place to work
    * Extremely rewarding
    * Paid training
    * Job never gets boring or monotonous
    * No matter what position someone holds, they NEVER speak down to you
    * Treat every employee as a highly valued asset to the company

Cons

Pay may not seem reflective of job description and some people may think it is inadequate. However, remember this is a non-profit organization and much of the funding is from the government. I think Clearbrook truly works to get you the pay you want and deserve whenever possible.

5. Very rewarding to work for such a great company.

Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for a not for profit company that cares so much about there clients.

Cons

Very good company to work for, Driving time and construction was a little strenuous.

It was great to work for a company that cared so much about the staff as well as the cients

Horrible

Former Employee - Service Facilitator in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No experience is necessary to start and they are willing to train you. Based on the training you begin to think that you might make a difference in the world, but then the training is over and the job starts and you realize that the training is only for the ideal world.

Cons

Management is atrociously disorganized. Support staff is tremendously overworked staff; honestly is borders on abuse. I foresee them being sued one day. The caseloads that are assigned are at least double, even close to triple, of what can realistically be expected. The actual work environment, the office space, the residential facilities, the treatment spaces are disgusting. It is reprehensible considering how much money the president of that non-profit company makes.

Needs work, but can be good

Current Employee - Service Facilitator in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Service Facilitator in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who take time to help one another. Flexible schedule, for the most part you decide when you meet your clients. Lots of available training provided.

Cons

Administration can be unprofessional. They will hold you to standards that they don't apply amongst themselves. There is poor compensation for amount of work you do. If you go above and beyond, you will still make the same amount as the next person who does the bare minimum. Staff are overworked and are treated as they are dispensable. Have many tedious paperwork that don't fully reflect clients conditions.

Listen to you employees and their concerns. Do not have forums to speak with your employees, but instead lecture them and utilize preconceived notions about them. This can be a great organization, but treating people as if they are dispensable will continue to create high turnover. Be invested in your employees and they will be invested in your organization.

8. DSP and Manager

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with and you are contributing to agency that serves a needy population so there are high intrinsic benefits.

Cons

Depending on where you work the hours can tough and the pay rate is low because they are a not for profit.

Be clear about what you want from employees.

9. Working at Clearbrook is extremely rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When you work for a non-profit social service agency, you don't expect to get rich however the other benefits help make up for that. I feel good about what I do every single day and I enjoy my job. No two days are ever the same and I am never, ever bored.

Cons

I cannot really think of any cons for this agency.

Keep up the great work. This is a progressive company that continues to grow even during difficult economic times.

10. Employee

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency

Pros

The clients are awesome to work with, there is opportunity for advancement, many programs to choose from when picking a position

Cons

The pay is general pretty low, the staff can be very rude as well as not very understanding, and in my experience the company has repeatedly tried to cheat me out of money for the hours I worked.

Be more selective with what employees are hired and pay closer attention to payroll, accounts, and staff monitoring

11. DSP

Former Employee - DSP in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - DSP in Glenview, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The scheduling is fantastic, and I had an overall positive experience with supervisors. The clients are very rewarding to work with.

Cons

The pay of a DSP (in general, not just at Clearbrook) is very low, and difficult to survive on. Also, the DSP's are a part of a Union, which I am not personally fond of, and I experienced the union preventing issues with staff being addressed/written up/followed up on. Some of the other staff were lazy and seemed to have a sense of entitlement.

Try to ensure that all of the DSP's that are working directly with your clients and in your homes are quality staff. Monitor what the DSPs are doing in the homes. Providing a house manager position instead of completely relying on the Q's would also help.