Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.4

CEO

Great boss and rewarding agency mission

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions

Pros

I love that I help people get in a better financial position and to think about money in a new way. I also have a great boss who doesn't micromanage, lets me grow professionally and take on new responsibilities. Getting feedback from satisfied, debt-free clients is the best feeling.

Cons

The morale of the company as a whole is not great right now due to downsizing and merger. It seems to be getting better though.

Continue to work on culture and recognizing employees who do a good job.

Growing pains and identity crisis

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people make better financial decisions and improving their financial situation.

Cons

The company merged January 1, 2014 and the "merger of equals" has been a very long painful process. In addition, the industry as a whole is contracting and merging and the nonprofits are trying to figure out what they can do to remain viable as far as new services etc. Layoffs are a constant worry among staff. Because the organization is so spread out, advancement opportunities are very limited unless you are willing to relocate.

Improve communication with front-line staff, particularly counselors. Let them do their jobs and don't penalize them for educating their clients, even if the advice doesn't benefit ClearPoint. Do their jobs for just one day to understand how stressful it is assisting consumers in financial crisis so that you understand how they way you communicate with them can push them "over the edge".

Great Non-Profit to work for...

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved being able to educate the consumer and help people to get back on track. This is a non-profit so the fame and fortune isn't there, your heart has to be in the right place to help others. I enjoyed being able to go out into my community to do presentations and classes to help someone navigate through their debt problems not to mention the one on one time that we spent with people to go over issues. The other employees that I worked with went above and beyond for their clients!

Cons

The economy has hit this non-profit as it has so many others and cause them to cut back in some areas, Like a lot of companies they have headquarters in a few states and if you are not willing to locate there isn't much in the way of climbing the ladder.

Consider cutting back on management to be able to put funds so more face to face counselors are increased.

Sadly, things are not improving

Current Employee - Counseling
    Current Employee - Counseling

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Helping clients. Great team mates. 403B match.

Cons

Overbearing micromanagement from the higher ups. Stress. Stress. More Stress. Creating goals that are not attainable, then writing up employees for not attaining the goals. Training is basically non existent. Bombardment of emails daily. Moving people from office to office, creating outrageous commutes both time wise and financially. Creating committees that are supposed to make things better, but not giving the committee any power. There is no work/live balance. Due to the current culture, people hold their breath every day, waiting for a layoff, or to be fired due to the pressure to 'discipline' employees. Raises? Not a chance. Unless you happen to get promoted to VP or Director or some new title...always seems to happen right after a lay off. Very very top heaving with management.

Your front line people are important. Without them, there is no company. If your front line is this stressed, the clients will feel that too, and not feel heard or cared about. We need to go back to being about quality. Helping people is not factory./assembly line work. Allow your counselors to do their jobs without feeling harassed,

Avoid

Current Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No longer employed there is a blessing

Cons

got hired and completed training

Very Poor Management

Current Employee - Credit Counselor
    Current Employee - Credit Counselor

Pros

Great time off (which you will need) and great co-workers that are always there to help

Cons

Management is always on you, even if you have perfect scores and exceed expectations on all their reports. They will still hound you with constant emails asking you what your doing, who your with, and accuse you of not doing what your "supposed" to be doing (even though it's been done hours before). They are quick to accuse and then never apologize. Their is a report to check every single aspect of a counselors job duties but yet managers still need to micromanage EVERYTHING. They even pull your call log and check it against your follow up reports to make sure you actually call the client.

Most counselors are more educated than management and perfectly capable of doing their jobs independently. Instead of demoralizing your good employees focus on other things... like how you can improve your managing skills to improve work ethic and retain good counselors.

Poor employer!!!

Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff that you work with is great!! Good bunch of people who want to help others!!

Cons

The management is horrible and only wants to put people into their debt management plan. They will write you up for anything and tell you that you are doing a horrible job. Then give you a scorecard that is excellent?

Figure out if you are a debt collector or a financial education company.

A great company with a great mission but lacking some organization

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The staff are dedicated to the agency's mission and core values providing wonderful service to consumers in financial distress.

Cons

Leadership is often disorganized and lacks a cohesive voice with which to communicate to staff about the company. The agency really needs organizational development basics to make a healthier entity.

Use other means of communication other than email.

I thought they would really care for customers but they turned out to be in it for money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers and team mates. They were like family .

Cons

There were no real benefits for working there- no bonuses, no incentives to really want to work there it was like a slave factory to make the board members rich. We just kept getting beat up on for every little thing we did

Learn how to treat your employees correct and you will get more out of them.
    We are humans too! We have families and things that happen in our outside lives and we should not be penalized for that

Twisted Priorities

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Peers are generally friendly and team-oriented.

Cons

This organization's motto is "Consumer Health through Financial Education", only it doesn't allow its counselors to actually educate clients, merely jump through the minimum possible hoops to sell a Debt Management Plan, which they claim not to do.

Spend less time coming up with clever jargon and more time training your staff.

Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions Photos