Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.1

CEO

Growing pains and identity crisis

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping people make better financial decisions and improving their financial situation.

Cons

The company merged January 1, 2014 and the "merger of equals" has been a very long painful process. In addition, the industry as a whole is contracting and merging and the nonprofits are trying to figure out what they can do to remain viable as far as new services etc. Layoffs are a constant worry among staff. Because the organization is so spread out, advancement opportunities are very limited unless you are willing to relocate.

Improve communication with front-line staff, particularly counselors. Let them do their jobs and don't penalize them for educating their clients, even if the advice doesn't benefit ClearPoint. Do their jobs for just one day to understand how stressful it is assisting consumers in financial crisis so that you understand how they way you communicate with them can push them "over the edge".

Great Non-Profit to work for...

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved being able to educate the consumer and help people to get back on track. This is a non-profit so the fame and fortune isn't there, your heart has to be in the right place to help others. I enjoyed being able to go out into my community to do presentations and classes to help someone navigate through their debt problems not to mention the one on one time that we spent with people to go over issues. The other employees that I worked with went above and beyond for their clients!

Cons

The economy has hit this non-profit as it has so many others and cause them to cut back in some areas, Like a lot of companies they have headquarters in a few states and if you are not willing to locate there isn't much in the way of climbing the ladder.

Consider cutting back on management to be able to put funds so more face to face counselors are increased.

Avoid

Current Employee - Certified Credit Counselor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

No longer employed there is a blessing

Cons

got hired and completed training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Poor Management

Current Employee - Credit Counselor
    Current Employee - Credit Counselor

Pros

Great time off (which you will need) and great co-workers that are always there to help

Cons

Management is always on you, even if you have perfect scores and exceed expectations on all their reports. They will still hound you with constant emails asking you what your doing, who your with, and accuse you of not doing what your "supposed" to be doing (even though it's been done hours before). They are quick to accuse and then never apologize. Their is a report to check every single aspect of a counselors job duties but yet managers still need to micromanage EVERYTHING. They even pull your call log and check it against your follow up reports to make sure you actually call the client.

Most counselors are more educated than management and perfectly capable of doing their jobs independently. Instead of demoralizing your good employees focus on other things... like how you can improve your managing skills to improve work ethic and retain good counselors.

Clearpoint and Credability Merged..and...

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The front line is full of dedicated people that are invested in helping clients. Counselors and client services care about clients, care about each other, want to work for a company that does the same.

Cons

Stress is at an all time high. There have been multiple lay offs, people are shuffled from office to office with no notice, and no concern for what that costs in terms of travel time, travel expenses. There is no work/family balance. Communication? It doesn't really happen. Counselors are bombarded with emails demanding they take more calls. Just put a large number of people to hourly rather than salaried employees.

When you keep laying off the front line, you will not have enough employees to meet the business needs. Constantly hounding your employees to work more, work more, work more when there are not enough hours in the day, or enough people to handle the business does nothing by lower morale. If we don't change the path of this company, the fear is that we will be facing worse then layoffs..we will be facing complete loss of the company.

Poor employer!!!

Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The staff that you work with is great!! Good bunch of people who want to help others!!

Cons

The management is horrible and only wants to put people into their debt management plan. They will write you up for anything and tell you that you are doing a horrible job. Then give you a scorecard that is excellent?

Figure out if you are a debt collector or a financial education company.

A great company with a great mission but lacking some organization

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The staff are dedicated to the agency's mission and core values providing wonderful service to consumers in financial distress.

Cons

Leadership is often disorganized and lacks a cohesive voice with which to communicate to staff about the company. The agency really needs organizational development basics to make a healthier entity.

Use other means of communication other than email.

I thought they would really care for customers but they turned out to be in it for money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers and team mates. They were like family .

Cons

There were no real benefits for working there- no bonuses, no incentives to really want to work there it was like a slave factory to make the board members rich. We just kept getting beat up on for every little thing we did

Learn how to treat your employees correct and you will get more out of them.
    We are humans too! We have families and things that happen in our outside lives and we should not be penalized for that

Twisted Priorities

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Peers are generally friendly and team-oriented.

Cons

This organization's motto is "Consumer Health through Financial Education", only it doesn't allow its counselors to actually educate clients, merely jump through the minimum possible hoops to sell a Debt Management Plan, which they claim not to do.

Spend less time coming up with clever jargon and more time training your staff.

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Customer Service Financial Specialist  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Financial Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have decent time off available, and rarely you will actually get to help someone.

Cons

The company has really gone downhill in the past 12 months. I would not recommend anyone come work here. Most people are either leaving or trying to leave right now. You will have to push the company product and will get written up if you discuss any other options with the client, even if those other options are in the client’s best interest.

Turn around now

Worked for Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions? Contribute to the Community!