Clearswift

Heath Davies

Great Place to Work, Former Employees Come Back

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

By far one of the best things Clearswift has going for it are the people that work here. I've been on the US tech support team for almost seven years and we've had two former employees (one had transferred to another team, one who quit working for awhile) come back. That tells you something right there. And Clearswift puts a lot of money into R & D and continues to provide really interesting products and technologies that our competitors don't offer.

Cons

Of course I can't speak for others regarding salary but I get regular raises and the company also gives bonuses when performance metrics are met. Being a smaller company, promotion opportunities are not as abundant as a larger organization but management also rewards employees in other ways such as the ability to work remotely and travel opportunities, etc.

Keep investing in us and we will continue to invest in you as well.

Small Company with limited vision

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technology that can be expanded upon in the content inspection space. Opportunities to partner are good, but need to find companies that have a need for this technology

Cons

Not enough focus for US market. Emphasis is on the UK

Recognize hard work of US team and provide more incentives. Learn from past mistakes, don't reinvent the wheel

Overall Experience very positive.

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with cutting edge technology in the content filtering vertical. Lots of traction in US Government. Have many customers in DoD. Never a dull moment. I work in a fast pace environment - lone pre-sales engineer working with 3 regional sales managers and a sales consultant plus the channel. I enjoy working in this type of environment. I am able to speak with many different people at many different types of companies from large banking institutions, universities, hospitals, and fortune 100... 500 companies. I enjoy getting excited about Clearswift and the solutions we provide when speaking with customers and prospects. We are relavant and offer technology solutions that these verticals require. It is relatively easy to get an appointment with a potential opportunity (or suspect) as there is an excellent story to tell. I worked at Clearswift 7 years ago, but was laid-off. A friend asked me to come back as they were looking for a pre-sales engineer in the US. I was hesitant, at first, but when I saw the strides Clearswift was making relative to new, disruptive technologies and having a good story to tell, I decided to jump back in. I also work for a hardworking VP of Sales. He is a sales fighter - a welter weight. Haha, but a great guy to work for. He really wants to win opportunities and is right there with his sales guys and me, rolling up his sleeves to get the job done as one of us. I respect that trait in a leader.

Cons

The total comp plan, compared to other US high tech companies for a pre-sales engineer, is on the low side. I am motivated by money (as well as technology). I am paid a good base salary, but my bonus schedule truly is not inline with the norm in the states. I am not completely unhappy about this fact, though. There is potential for growth and I am soaking up the experience and contacts I am making. I have only been here for a year and my belief is that you need 2-3 years to start really shining at a company - the trouble is most companies are quick to shift and change. I hope Clearswift is going to allow the teams in place to grow and shine before shifting and changing. The US market is huge. It would be excellent if there were more marketing presence here.

Keep up the good work! On a day-to-day basis I love Clearswift. I am in it for the long haul and enjoy my job, the technology, my peers, the environment, etc, etc. Thanks! Don't forget about your satellite offices. We may be far, but our loyalty and work ethic are on par with that of corporate.

Getting back on the right track

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The first 4 years were less than stellar to be quite honest, but the team I work with is terrific. The main reason I stayed was the job market in the region, but there seems to be a real, postive culture shift from the top level and it is making it's way down to the lower level employees. Its apparent the new leadership is interested in the future of not only the company, but the employees themselves. The products which once showed promise, but were lacking in features now are maturing to the point of a real enterprise class solution.
    The customer base is loyal and have mostly been around for a number of years.

Cons

The road has been slow and there isn't a lot of logal organic growth in my region. This is likely due to the non-exisent brand recognition and a virtually complete lapse in marketing.

Consider the US region a strategic market and make more investments in brand recognition and sales.

European Company that has been around for a long time

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Clearswift

Pros

-getting experience in an European company
    -cool product
    -I was able to goto London (HQ)

Cons

A European Company, different than a US. Domestic company

I don't have any

Great place to start a career, bad place to end one.

Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Clearswift

Pros

I learned a great deal about enterprise network architecture and troubleshooting and content filration. They were willing to give you as much responsibility as you were willing to take. This could be good for somebody trying to get their foot in the door and parlay this experience into a better job which I did. A good place to break into the lucrative world of IT security.
    They had a good 401k with matching that I managed to save about 12k in two years.

Cons

Basically a dead end job. The company was not growing and there was no path for advancement. When I left after 2 years to the day. The HR person said that a 2 year turnover is what they calculated for this position so they didn't really care. I advised her that all the most qualified people are just going to leave which will leave them with a green staff and no wisdom. Didn't seem to care.

Create a reason for people to stay and they will.

Unrecognisable from earlier incarnations

Current Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is not unfair to recognise Clearswift lost its way a little in the mid to late noughties, reflected in some of the older reviews of that period. Having said that, it has transformed itself into a vibrant, energetic company with the confidence and buzz reminiscent of a successful start up.
    This in part is due to significant investment and an overhaul of the exec team enabling it to produce new and innovative market defining technology. The company has a clear visible strategy and all the components required to enable it to re-take its position as a market and thought leader within the industry. I am excited to be a contributor to this success.

Cons

There are few people in this world who choose to go to work despite not having to. Sadly I am neither a rock star nor or Bill Gates so do not have that luxury. I do however have a choice on where to work and I am very happy with the one I've made

Heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Support Manager in Theale, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Theale, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked here for over 10 years I've seen significant change and a number of cycles of activity. The recent investment and new executive though have breathed new life into the company. There is massive investment in existing products as well as strategic acquisitions. Its a dynamic and exciting place to work with plenty of opportunities if you are prepared to put the work in.

Cons

With a smaller operation there is a need to provide wider effort than your title may indicate. However although this can be taxing you see and learn a lot more

Continue to value the input of the team in taking Clearswift to heights everyone knows it can achieve

A committed team to make Clearswift a leader in the market and a great place to work

Current Employee - Head of Market Strategy in Theale, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone in the company approachable from the investors to the CEO to the receptionist. Its a very inclusive culture where employee ideas and suggestions are taken seriously as everyone contributes to the companies success. I joined because of the new management team and the existing skills of employees that combined are now innovating new technology. Having worked in corporates and start ups, Clearswift is the most personally rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Nothing that any growth organisation should not expect to encounter, around making the most of budgets. This is where the skills of the employees and the budget combined, make the difference

Keep going in the same direction and keep the open communication regular

A Great Company with a Huge Potential

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture at Clearswift is a key asset to this company, the people in all levels make the difference. The new executive leadership team are empowering people to make a difference. Its a company that is actually owned by every employee and the success is now down to each and everyone one of us executing in our scope of responsibility. We have new exciting developments from R&D and we are adding extra headcount each year and we continue to drive growth across the business.

Cons

We need to make everyone outside of Cleasrwift, be it Customers, Prospects , prospective employees and our Partners what the new company stands for in the market and how our new technology differentiates us in the Market.

Keep doing what your doing !!

Clearswift Photos