Clearwater Analytics

CEO

Great Environment to Learn/Gain Experience

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boise, ID

Pros

You will be surrounded by very intelligent individuals who are more than willing to provide any and all help they can. The work hours are extremely flexible and the location is great (being right in downtown Boise). The staff is very young, with a majority of the employees being fresh out of (or recently out of) college, which makes it a great place to try new things. Management is very open to new ideas and they support their employees to the best of their ability. I love working at Clearwater.

Cons

Salaries are below average for the type of work that we do. The one reason I would say this may be justified is that Clearwater offers one of the greatest places to gain new skills, and training isn't "free". So, to a certain extent, it makes sense that you would take a lower salary for a job that is willing to train you.

The career advancement at Clearwater isn't necessarily an issue, but it is certainly structured differently than anywhere else I've worked. Clearwater has a very "flat" hierarchical structure. So, there isn't a lot of upward mobility since there really aren't a lot of positions "above" the one you start at. This makes it nice because there is much less concern about who you report to, but it makes it difficult to plan "where you want to be at Clearwater in 5 years". If you are okay with the idea that title isn't important (I'm somewhat indifferent myself), then you still have a lot of ability to move around the company to different departments as well as getting annual raises. it's just a different type of career advancement than most people think of.

Be more open with your employees. There is a great atmosphere of trust created at Clearwater among the majority of employees, but there are times when management chooses to hold back the real reasons behind their decisions. This doesn't usually fool anyone, because closed door discussions get leaked out anyways. It does, however, erode the trust many employees have in the management. I don't think this is a huge problem right now, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Also, you shouldn't tell people that new opportunities are "open to everyone" when you know that you're not going to allow an account manager to do a 3 month rotation. It makes sense why you would not want to allow an account manager to switch departments for three months, but you should just be honest about it.

Innovative company is progress in right direction, but some hiccups still

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

The company and the product are phenomenal. I am really impressed by the software itself, and the continuous improvements on it. I genuinely feel it helps people perform their jobs better. At Clearwater, you are continually surrounded by incredibly smart individuals, which is both really helpful and somewhat intimidating. You can learn a lot from your peers but you can also learn by making your own mistakes. I feel I was thrown into the deep end pretty quick and entrusted with a lot of responsibility for my experience. It was stressful, and I made many mistakes, but when I did reach out for help, my manager was always there. My manager was also very genuinely interested in my long term career goals and helping me get there. He was very easy to open up to. As many other have posted, it is a great job straight out of college to get experience. It can be a stepping stone, even to companies who are your clients. The company also provides nice workstations.

Cons

The work is very fast paced. It feels like you are always just putting out fires without real progress on long term goals. Things can get stressful on the daily. Especially for account managers, as all you really deal with is customers problems. The floor can also get really hot and noisy in the afternoon when people start talking on the phone (New building in the works). Sometimes your day is just eaten up with meetings, which just adds to the fires that are spreading.

The management is headed in the right direction. Middle and lower manager are great people, but pretty swamped. I saw Clearwater start to initiate change to make it a better place to work, and the steps were promising. I hope the momentum continues.

One last note though, the company is obviously headed for a sale by the owners. I can compare this with another company who's founder treats it like its his baby. More interaction and attention from the principles would be great.

Great product, company and career opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Clearwater is a remarkable company for several reasons:

1) It has been profitable for over a decade. Its base is very stable.
    2) It solves important, complicated problems for companies that are willing to pay for Clearwater's services.
    3) Clearwater's philosophy is that satisfied customers are at the center of its success. For example, unlike all of its competitors, Clearwater does not require its customers to sign long-term contracts. If a customer is unsatisfied with Clearwater's services, they can cancel with 30 days notice. This means that Clearwater has an incentive to treat all its customers extremely well every day. As an employee it is great knowing that the company expects you to do your best.
    4) It has enormous market potential which means it is going to continue growing and expanding which correspondingly offers its employees increased career opportunities. Clearwater has already expanded to Europe and it planning to continue that kind of expansion.
    5) It is a relatively flat organization allowing it to be nimble in responding to change and reducing bureaucracy around new ideas.
    6) It emphasizes cross training and cross functional teams. There is not excuse to ever be bored with your job.
    7) It is a merit-based promotion system. If you do a great job with your responsibilities and make it clear that you are interested in more opportunities, you will get them.
    8) The owners of the company are financially conservative, which increases Clearwater's long-term success potential.
    9) In a couple of years, Clearwater is moving to a brand new building and that space is going to be great. This also shows they are very committed to their Boise presence.

Cons

No perks (e.g. free food, gym, memberships, etc.). Parking is not paid.

I think the company could do a better job promoting itself as an excellent place to work for current employees. It could also apply more efforts to showcasing the exciting things employees are working on. Finally, it would be helpful if they did more to publicize advancement opportunities for employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Our product sells itself and our employees are valued!

Pros

Motivated co-workers, Respectful work environment, Autonomy, Empowered to make decisions, New ideas/business cases are encouraged, Great work/life balance

Cons

I've worked for other companies and they all pale in comparison. I honestly do not have any significant con.

Great Opportunities for Ambitious, Hard-Working People

Pros

If you are smart, ambitious, and hard-working, you will be given plenty of opportunities, responsibilities, and challenges. Anyone who says opportunities are saved for the boys club or the church club is creating excuses for their own shortcomings. I am neither male nor religious and have I have seen my career thrive at Clearwater. Every day is fun. Honestly, working at Clearwater is fun.

Cons

The pay is slightly below competitive, but I stay because I like the work I do and the people I work with. I figure I am lucky to have two out of three.

Great people, fun, low ceiling, high turnover.

Former Employee - client servives analyst  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - client servives analyst in Boise, ID

Pros

The best parts are easy:
    Fun people/atmosphere
    Lots of opportunities to deal with big name clients
    Casual workplace
    Encourages to learn more

Cons

Once a year raise, with incredibly low chance of getting above minimum.
    Extremely high turnover.
    Offer "promotions" (read more work) no title changes or raises
        - they do this in the hopes the position is temp
           so they don't have to compensate
    I work 9-10 hours daily
    The list can go on

Your company is becoming a "premiere company" how many other companies are going to take you seriously when you can't keep a single person with experience or real expertise in a subject.
    For brilliant guys you're making poor decisions, it's Clearwater Analytics, not Clearwater university.

The negative reviews are very accurate

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Boise, ID

Pros

It's a job with decent benefits and can be fun at times. It's also great if you like working downtown. When I first started I was more optimistic about career paths but it's limited regardless of how smart, ambitious or hardworking you are. There are a lot of great people here but no different than what you would see at other companies.
    There's a good training program around investment accounting but agree with other reviews that it will not really translate to many other companies or careers.

Cons

Unfortunately, the negative reviews are very accurate. And although some of the positive reviews have some truth, they appear to be written by HR to counter the negative. I also am female and agree that there's not a boys club but there most certainly is a church club. Since I've been here, I've seen great people in management who excelled in their positions, forced out to be replaced by someone in the club. I've also seen different treatment among employees and special treatment extended to those in the club. Yes, unfortunate and frustrating but it's the reality here and everyone has just learned to accept it.

Depending on the group you are in, you could be expected to work extremelly long hours with no additional compensation.

I used to speak up but quickly learned that it's better to just listen and do as instructed.

Freedom to Innovate

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boise, ID

Pros

Clearwater's culture encourages developers to continuously improve our software. It is an agile environment where each team includes all the people it needs to do its job (developers, testers, product manager, accounting/finance specialists as necessary). There are some company-wide standards, but for the most part each team can choose to use the tools and processes that make it most productive. The team is not pressured to set deadlines, but can release their software when they have proven that it's done. All the development leaders are also developers, so they can understand the technical reasons behind decisions that are made.

The company understands that people are most innovative when their minds are fresh, and there is little value in asking people to stay late or come in on weekends. As another reviewer said, "They aren't trying to keep you at work all day", because the long-term benefits of a healthy work/life balance far outweigh any short-term gain from extra hours. At the same time, they do expect people to engage and be physically present in the office while working, which is actually an advantage because we don't have to rely on teleconferences like companies that are geographically spread out.

At the end of each year, employees are rated by how well they live up to the company's ideals, such as Teamwork, Good Judgement, Knowledge, Cooperation, Initiative and Creativity. Those who are creative and reliable in solving problems have a chance to take on leadership roles.

Cons

There's a lot of domain-specific knowledge that needs to be absorbed about accounting, investments, banking, and the various aspects of stocks and bonds. New developers often need to figure this stuff out for themselves or keep asking questions.

This is no longer a start-up company where we have the potential to become millionaires by working here. It is a stable job that is more than enough to support a family, but with lower risk comes lower chance of reward.

Keep the employees united in a common purpose by sharing with them rewards proportional to the company's success.

Analyst Intern in Client Services

Former Employee - Analyst Intern  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Analyst Intern in Boise, ID

Pros

As an intern there was a lot of freedom to pursue different responsibilities. Clearwater is a software company that offers investment portfolio analytics to institutional investors. Therefore there was plenty of room to develop financial and accounting expertise as well as interact with developers to improve technological knowledge.

Clearwater serves industry leaders so even as an intern, there was plenty of room to foster working relationships with treasury and accounting professionals at those companies.

The experience and working relationships make Clearwater a great segway into a career as a financial analyst or corporate accountant.

Cons

Client Services experienced a lot of turnover at every level while I interned. This translated into receiving neither consistent/progressive feedback nor stable mentorship.

The culture was more competitive than collaborative within Client Services, which seemed inappropriate considering the type of work that the department conducts. To be fair, however, there are changes being made by management to correct this.

Continue to implement structure and benefits that will help retain top-performers in Client Services.

Stretched thin

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

- Great people to work with
    - Prestige of working downtown
    - Exposure to investment accounting

Cons

- You will be expected to work 10 hours+ days every day for years and get no more pay or appreciation.
    - You sit at a chair all day and stare at your inbox fill up with hundreds of emails. It sucks to say the least.
    - About 80% of what you learn at clearwater will not transfer to other jobs.
    - There is no where to move up. They have structured the company so that there is only 1 boss and you will never get his job. There is so much turnover that 1 year after I started almost everybody that was there when I got there had left.
    - Clearwater attracts cheap, young, desperate college graduates and works them until they quit about a year to a year and half later. They realize they are worth more than what they are getting paid so they move on.
    - The company is growing and they are all excited to bring on new clients and they expect you to be excited too. Why would I excited to take on a heavier workload and get paid the same..... Im not.
    - The company has a downtown office but refuses to provide employee parking. People have to park 5-10 blocks away to get to work. The company could care less as long as the owners get to line their pockets with cash.
    - Overall if you want to work like a dog, have about 20% of your skills and knowledge from clearwater be transferable to the real world, and be paid the same regardless of the hard work you do then work for Clearwater.

-It is obvious that all the great reviews posted back to back to back where done by the Clearwater HR department trying to save face. When you have all negative reviews and then 4 5 star reviews with no negatives for the company it is a little suspicious.
    - Aslo if you want to keep quality employees then pay them more.

Worked for Clearwater Analytics? Contribute to the Community!