Clearwire Reviews

Reset
3.6
Clearwire President & CEO Erik Prusch
Erik Prusch

Pros
  • good pay and benefits for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Management at least pretends to be interested in creating a fun work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was hard when we were all working towards a common goal (in 19 reviews)

• most quit because of the long hours without overtime compensation (in 5 reviews)

Dishonest.

Former Employee - Support. in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Support. in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Clearwire

Pros

None, they oversubscribe their transmission towers and throttle your internet access. If they found out who ratted them out they would simply change their policy and say, "no we do not throttle." They won't tell anyone what the thresholds are so they can charge you more and give you less service. Forget about cancelling your subscription, they will get you to sign a 2 yr contract. When you want out, they force you to pay a $200 ETF. If you stick with them they won't tell you your subscription is up and roll you over to a new 2yr contract. If you miss your chance to get out then you will be charged the $200 ETF (early termination fee). If you do cancel in time, their bookeeping is so bad they will continue to charge your account, many times no refund. They tell their CSR's to never give a refund and do not let a client leave.

Cons

Overworked. ie Unwritten mandatory overtime.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the company's situation.

High turnover and low morale

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Clearwire

Pros

Medical benefits were good. Nice office in Kirkland right off Lake Washington.

Cons

Where do I start? Working 60 hours a week. Lack of good sales managers. I had 4 managers in the time I was there. Ethics are out the window as far as sales go. We were told to stretch the truth when it came to making a sale. Unhappy, burned out sales reps. Daily meetings and nightly reports are mandatory. Turnover was the highest of any company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Take a week and see how the sales staff is managed. Are all the reports, daily meetings and Sunday calenders needed? WiMax is going to be great but take care of your people and build good morale that is needed. I have never worked at a company with so many unhappy employees.

3. Worst Place to Work

Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clearwire

Pros

Cant think of any, maybe the fact that you get to work with new technology and can put that on your resume.

Cons

Disfunctional management, no clear direction and unrealistic expectations. Clear works its employees ungodly hours and doesn't pay well enough for it. Managers play favorites and treat employees horribly. If you take a sales position there don't expect to last long, there is a very high turnover and for a good reason.

Advice to Management

Hire new management

5. Revolving Door

Former Employee - Indirect Account Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Indirect Account Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Clearwire

Pros

Great company to go work for and learn what not to do. This will make you appreciate what it's like to work with honor, pride, and integrity when you leave.

Cons

Extremely poor management, non-existent mindshare, no organization or proper guidance, very poor employee retention; not an environment suited for those that would like to work in a professional setting (not PC).

Advice to Management

Success starts with taking care of your people and developing them, not forsasking them...And as always try focusing on quality as much as you do on quantity. That would be a good start.

The 411

Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Clearwire

Pros

Great health, dental, and vision benefits!

Cons

There's so many so I'll just start here. You work hard for a company, meet an exceed quota, full of integrity and leadership yet no thank you nor promotions. Seems like you had to be fraudulent activities compromising your integrity in order to get promoted. This company is not a place to work for, management sucks (horrible) no structure at all.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and work environment would be better!

If you have technical skill, you won't get to use it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Clearwire

Pros

Clearwire pays pretty well, and they have an excellent benefits, bonus and vacation package.

Cons

there is no training or professional development. Technical skill is actually looked down upon, where as tenure and title are paramount. teams not only don't work with each other, but emails go unanswered in order to avoid work company-wide.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to hire vendors to solve problems and employees to manage the vendors. This creates expense, complexity and loss of knowledge.

Intense place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Clearwire

Pros

Create employees at lower levels. Clearwire could be a great place to work if several C-levels were replaced.

Cons

Long hours, 60-70 hours weeks are expected. Loose spending by serior leadership. Rampant use of expensive incompetent consultants. Very rare to see internal promotions. C-levels and VPs hire their buddies from previous employers. Jobs are not posted and internal employees are not given the opportunity to apply or interview for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Trust and Listen to your employees. No more lip service, mean what you say. "Hire and develop Great People" I have yet to see the "develop"

POOR PLACE TO WORK

Former Employee - Indirect Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Indirect Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Clearwire

Pros

i WOULD SAY THAT IF YOU ARE NEW TO BUSINESS THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO WORK THEN GO TO A MORE ESTABLISHED ORG. Great Place to cut your teeth

Cons

There are very few people who know what they are doing there. Most of the Experienced people never available to talk with.

Advice to Management

I would say that paying the money that will get you real talent, and keep them there, is big and is well overlooked

Potential was there in the beginning, but investors and employees left scratching their heads in the end.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Clearwire

Pros

Exciting new product when it works Product has potential to help people Many talented people work at Clearwire, but I believe that's because jobs were few and far between when the company began growth cycle

Cons

No communication Cross functional teams & departments were seldom on the same page Sales people had unrealistic goals Sales managers had personal agendas and fired ethical and talented sales people in favor of sub-par performers who were more likely to give the sales manager high-fives and use the word "awesome" a lot Strategy was a moving target and impossible to frame plan around Typical start up environment who was careless spending "other people's" money without accountability 95% of the staff I worked with didn't even use the product at home due to unreliability

Advice to Management

You have very talented people on staff but the lack of long-term strategy (beyond stitching up your own golden parachute) will ultimately seal the fate of the organization.

One hand of Senior Management not knowing what the other hand is doing CLEARly describes what was going on here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Clearwire

Pros

The colleagues I had the privilege of working with are the best in the business. The creative collaboration was 2nd to none.

Cons

It took 6 weeks to hire me and 3 weeks to lay me off during a nationwide 15% workforce reduction. Why hire me? Why was there not a hiring freeze? How can you carelessly manipulate peoples lives like that during what is already a tragic and tight economy?

Advice to Management

I hope your 35 suites at the Venetian Hotel in LV and 35 entry tickets to the CES was well worth the salary of a few of the 630 talented employees you let go November 4. You are a cash burning cow operation with no care to your shareholders...

RSS Feed </> Embed