Clearwire

Updated August 4, 2014

3.7

Clearwire President & CEO Erik Prusch
Erik Prusch

Pros
  • good pay and benefits for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Challenging and fast-paced with multiple relationships and systems to balance out (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was hard when we were all working towards a common goal (in 19 reviews)

• Hours are expected to be 11am-9pm 6 days a week, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working at Clearwire

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There are many pros to working at Clearwire. The first that comes to mind are the people and the culture. I have never worked with such friendly and helpful colleagues. Everyone knows the company's goals and works towards them.
    I also love the fact that the company works on technology that no other company in the US is working on. This is a great point of pride for me - our TD LTE network we are building.
    Entrepreneurial spirit is another reason I have stayed at Clearwire. No one sticks to their job description here - there are always projects and cross functional exposure to be had.

Cons

I think our weakness is also what makes us so great. Our biggest weakness has always been a lack of funding, but I also think that is what keeps us sharp as we continue to do more with less.

Simply Put

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

good pay, good benefits and great atmosphere. I have open and honest communication with my manager, feel appreciated and challenged. Help is just a question away, perks and entertainment are a constant. Community service is important as well as activites outside of the workplace amongst fellow emploees.

Cons

ALWAYS CHANGING. If that is not your thing, probably not the company for you.

There are a lot of angry ex-employees out there QUICK to voice their opinion. I understand that a company this size must have procedures...but you might want to think about the exit strategy.

Best company I have ever had. Best company I have ever worked for.

Pros

- Fast pace
    - Empowerment available for those willing to grasp it
    - Fairly flat org
    - Available leadership
    - High aim for transparency in comms
    - Flexibility to do what you're passionate about
    - Simple new values
    - Extremely generous safety net in uncertain times

Cons

- Uncertain future
    - Trouble past = lots of angry folks outside the company
    - Still working towards consistency across leadership team in culture / style

Keep investing time and money in your people as your number one priority. They'll build the networks, bring in the revenue, and fight off the wolves. Focus too much on the widgets and you'll lose what's best about Clearwire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting, riveting,

Current Employee - Strategy Assistant Lead  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategy Assistant Lead in New York, NY

Pros

fun-filled and thriving experience, the sky is the limit to whatever level you hope to achieve

Cons

none. there are no cons to this job nor my position

If you have the drive and determination you can go far. Show thyself approved by engagement and numbers and anything is possible.

Really enjoy working at ClearWire.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I really enjoy working at ClearWire. The culture, people, and fast-paced environment keep coming to work each day fun. We have our share of challenges, whether it's uncertainty about the pending acquisition or funding for a big project, but in my experience that's just the way the corporate sector is today.

Reading some of the other reviews I'm not quite sure what group these folks are in, but I've never noticed anything remotely close to a "hostile" or "cut throat" environment (quite the opposite, in fact). There will also always be uncertainty and change, no matter what company/industry you're in, especially Telecomm. I think some people confuse this with poor leadership, which isn't always the case.

Thirsty Thursday events are fun, leadership brings in some food and drink and everyone gets a chance to socialize with folks outside of your normal working circles. The yearly employee appreciation day is an aboslute blast, tons of fun.

I sort of mentioned it earlier, but I've found that the people at ClearWire are fantastic. Everyone is friendly, fun, and always willing to help out.

Cons

It can be tricky at times to get the funding/resources needed to drive some projects that would benefit the business, but it's just part of the deal. Pay is about average for the industry, benefits are OK (would love to see just a PTO bucket instead of having vacation/sick/floating holidays). There aren't many options around for lunch, but it's getting better with food trucks coming during the week (minor annoyance, but worth noting).

I mentioned above about the fast pace and frequent change in direction, but honestly it's not any different than anywhere else I've worked, especially in Telecomm.

Change the time off policy to have one PTO bucket instead of vacation/sick/floating holiday buckets.

Rearranging Deck Chairs

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Kirkland, WA

Pros

-Decent compensation
    -Decent benefits
    -Management at least pretends to be interested in creating a fun work environment

Cons

-No real structure for promotion or growth
    -Lack of vision leads to the creation of programs and projects that are the hot item one day then gone the next
    -Lack of proper management leads to some employees working 80+ hour weeks to complete other people's work that has not been completed
    -Award structures favor those who play politics and not those working above and beyond their position

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Entrepreneurial, positive culture; strong senior management team; interesting work; dynamic industry that's everchanging (always something new); and, above all, a terrific group of employees who care about their work and each other.

Cons

There's some uncertainty, but most of the people who work here thrive in this type of environment. If you are someone who is looking to make a contribution and further develop your skills and experiences than you'll be happy here. If you're looking for a definitive career path than you might be happier at another company.

I'd just like to say thank you for truly caring about the employees.

Had a chance to be a great company but burned through the money

Former Employee - Director  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Forward thinking
    Company thought outside the box in Marketing
    Great Staff

Cons

No chance to move up
    Micro managed
    Too many reports
    Upper Management did not commuinicate their plans

Stop and think about what your objectives are when Launching a Market

Worst company i've ever worked for

Former Employee - Finance  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Finance in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Pay is OK. High turnover among executives means that if you have a manager you don't care for, he probably will be gone in 3 months. The bad news is, someone just like him may take his place!

Cons

Very aggressive, cut-throat culture. Lots of one-ups-manship. Part of the problem is that they favor very young executives- one C-level executive after another for years was too inexperienced, which made them insecure, and sometimes a bit of a terror to work with. Their turnover is huge - lots of people fired after just a few months because someone didn't like them. This is fact, not opinion, as turnover is measurable. Part of the issue is the founders - a group of very aggressive people who were GREAT at raising capital and buying up spectrum, but not at creating corporate cultures that last. "Cutthroat" and "Clearwire" each have nine letters in them. Just sayin'.

Sell to Sprint, or another major telco. Seriously. It's been six years and if you haven't built a healthly corporate culture by now, why should anyone believe it will happen next year? Why not sell to a company that has a workable culture - Clearwire does not. You have some great spectrum assets from the early days and that's worth something. You can monetize that. But run a business with that corporate culture? Why do you even bother?

My experience so far and still remains being constantly moved around, and having an extremely inconsistent schedule.

Current Employee - National Retail Account Executive  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - National Retail Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

There are few good things about working for clear in a slower market like Las Vegas, that is building good relationships within the retail locations that you are working at, in hopes of leaving for a better opportunity. Also gaining knowledge of products that are new to the world of computers and tech toys.

Cons

The location at which you work changes constantly. The hours, due to over hiring too many people, have dropped dramatically and makes that work/life balance very difficult to set budgets. And to add to the fact, if anyone is looking for any kind of advancement any higher than the position that you are hired on at, I'd look elsewhere. This company isn't where it wants to be yet and shouldn't be giving its teams false hopes of moving up into a management or corporate position.

If your goal it to keep your top sales people consistently reaching goals set, you have to provide some kinds of intensives, and not over hire a workload of employees and dramatically cut hours.

Worked for Clearwire? Contribute to the Community!