Cleary Building Corp.

Updated Feb 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sean Cleary

A very good place to work.

Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsAlways given the opportunity for advancement and the opportunity to learn all facets of running a business.

ConsThere is plenty of work to do which is a good thing. Getting people to step up and be accountable for their actions so everyone shares their portion of the load.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop new products and opportunities to give everyone future individual growth potential.

A lot of opportunities for a great career

ProsThe part I like is that you get out what you put in. If you work hard and smart you are rewarded for it.

ConsThe weather hasn't been the best lately but the good news is there is a lot of building that need to be built!

I have worked for Cleary a number of years and my experience has been great.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsHired as an hourly employee and promo to a salaried position as a manager within 6 months.
    The company promotes from within.
    A number of people have been promoted from an hourly position to salary.

ConsIf you don't like a fast paced, high energy, multitasking, everyday has a different challenge, you would not like working for this company. If you enjoy that type of work environment this company would be a perfect opportunity for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep challenging each person of the Cleary Team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cleary - solid company and great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsVery financially stable and great work atmosphere. I have worked here for a year and it's been a super experience. The company really appreciates and recognizes good workers and effort, and that's not something you always get from other employers. There is a family-type atmosphere here as well, making it a pleasure to come into work. Thanks Cleary!

ConsNo complaints with Cleary Building Corp.

Debt free company that runs a tight ship.

(Current Employee)

ProsDebt free. It is possible to make good money but only after spending some time. Family owned company. Good product with competitive pricing. Company vehicle.

ConsSales guys take the majority of the risk with little control and not much benefit when things go right. To earn the money you have to give up some family life.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should look at not capping salesman and give them the opportunity to make money a little easier. If guys could get paid on a job by job basis instead of quarterly bonuses I think you would retain more of them and be able to hire better salesman. Half a day Saturday hours covered by salesman is not real productive and tend to get in the way of family life. Seems like if you left Saturdays alone the employees would enjoy their jobs more and have more time for their families. When needed the salesman tends to work it anyways but forcing it is an issue if you ask around.

There seems to be a "glass ceiling" based on academic merits alone, and not work and life experience.

ProsThere are some exceptional and talented people in the company, whose personalities, experience and psychological make up, create a more favorable work environment.

ConsThere is a definite 'class structure' and division exhibited by a few (not all) of the senior personnel. This can create a sense of resentment and affect loyalty, work ethic and productivity. Additionally, there is a perception at times, of 'management by intimidation'. By that, I mean intimidation of department, branch or regional managers, who then pass it down to their personnel. We can be clear, firm and constructive without being demeaning. Again, this affects attitude, loyalty, turnover, training costs, etc... a trickle down effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementMinimally, I would reinstate the annual "Employee Appreciation" Event and in general, open up avenues to promote, acknowledge and reward employees for their creative contributions to the success of the company. Education comes in many forms. Encourage the free flow of it and "tap in"! ALL employees have to believe and 'feel' they are part of the success of the company in tangible ways. (Also, pay raises should at least match generally recognized cost of living increases)

Can not build what is sold

Building Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

Prosgood building design and delivery

Conslack of crew training high turn over rate

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for crew

Terrible place to work.

Crewman (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsNone. Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked.

ConsHostile environment. Lazy, lax, hostile supervisors. Constant violations of rules. Job was, truly, a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the job at hand. Surprise visits to job sites. Give opportunity for confidential discussions with employees. Give a hoot about more than just keeping your job.

Great Company to Work for

Secretary (Former Employee) Delta, CO

ProsCleary employees are very helpful when it comes to new employees. The pay is decent and the hours are great.

ConsOnly one branch that serves the western slope area.

They treat crews terrible!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsIt's a job - that's it. I worked in a crew of hard working guys. It's nice working outdoors. I can't think of any of pros for they have none.

ConsCompany screws hourly workers and "expects" you to to do work that your not paid to do. While their employee handbook states that crewmen do not "have" to attend morning meetings (which you DO NOT get paid for), they will make your life miserable if you don't. i.e.....by not giving you a raise, etc. Many other incidents of "unpaid" duties were and is "expected" by higher management. Apparently, your "not a team player" in their eyes for doing such tasks. Also, their company profile states that they have a 401(k) plan that will match If the "CBC profit allows" which is decided upon by the board of directors. Well, that NEVER happens.....they have NEVER contributed to any hourly workers 401(k) plan in over 20 years. Heck, they do not even provide their crews with an on-site bathroom. Crews are supposed to have access to a toilet and hand washing within a "reasonable" distance from the site. (which is CLEARLY stated by OSHA) "reasonable" meaning within a 10 minute distance from sites. We have worked NUMEROUS jobs that are in the middle of nowhere that have no bathroom facilities within a 30 or 40 minute distance of driving. Employees are forced to just urinate on site and have no place to wash your hands. Is a port a Jon too much to ask for? That's how cheap they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to treat their crews better. Quit trying to screw workers out of their pay and at least provide us with a port a Jon in rural areas. I don't think that is too much to ask. Corporate needs to realize that they would get much more out of their crews if they would treat them fairly and with respect. You treat your workers like crap; then on top of it you "expect" guys to do work they are NOT paid for. If your company is "debt free" as you brag, you can afford a port a Jon for crews to at least go to the bathroom. Also, provide them with a "decent" motel to stay at while we are working. They don't need much, but would appreciate not being stuck at a dirty, sleazy motel that "rents by the hour". If you would learn to take care of your crews, they would take good care of you. That's good business practice.

Worked for Cleary Building Corp.? Contribute to the Community!