Cleary Building Corp.

Updated March 29, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
3.8
Sean Cleary

Pros
  • Cleary is debt free and stays that way because of the focus on customer satisfaction (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, plenty of opportunity for those looking to take on responsibility and advance their career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If an employee is not performing their job duties up to Cleary's high level of standards, they will be replaced with someone who will (in 2 reviews)

• If you are committed to doing a good job you will do well in the company (in 3 reviews)

Career

Current Employee - Foreman in Garland, UT
    Current Employee - Foreman in Garland, UT

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp.

Pros

I've been working for Cleary for about 9 years now. I started as a crew man, within a year I became a lead man, and after about 2 1/2 years I was signed off as a foreman. There are many ranks as a foreman so there are many promotional possibilities and room for growth. This company has a great product, we are self contained and debt free. And fully acknowledge the customer is the most important part. We have all of the tools and resources to aid any career minded individuals who want to be apart of something great. We have a great team of individuals from the field to the branch offices to our corporate offices who all strive to be better and grow in all facets of this business!

Cons

It does require hard work no matter what position you hold. I personally don't see this is a con but this is not the place for a quick and easy buck. But the payout is definitely there if you have a strong work ethic! You do have to travel at times but they definitely try to place you with decent accommodations you won't be staying at a Hilton but their intent is not a Roach motel! And a positive you do receive a per diem to help with the fact your not at home.

Advice to Management

My advice for upper management, continue to entertain new ideas for growth. I've watched this company change drastically in the last decade, and it has continued to get better and better. Were not perfect yet and knowing that should help us strive achieve!

2. Some good people at corporate level and some not so good. Hi turnover rates at branch office level.

I worked at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some decent people at branch level. Problem is corporate cannot keep the good ones.

Cons

Hi turnover rates throughout company, and greatest turnover at branch levels.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.

3. Challenging, but very rewarding!

Current Employee - Building Sales Specialist in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Building Sales Specialist in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp.

Pros

Company car, flexible work schedule, independence.

Cons

Meeting sales goals in a short amount of time.

Advice to Management

I don't have any issues.

It's a Revolving Door. BEWARE

I worked at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Product. Well engineered. That is about it.

Cons

POOR Corporate Management, Most of the problems are at the top but go across the board. This is because the compensation and benefits structure does not always attract the best and brightest.
    POOR training and lack of training infrastructure especially for production teams
    Compensation and benefits are WAY below market averages
    Benefits not competitive to other employers in same industry
    Company provides poor or extremely antiquated business management tools Still very paper-intensive. It's Like stepping back in a time warp Cleary Needs to join the 21st Century.
    Company is extremely "Cheap" towards their employees in many ways. One example is Travelling for company business. Cleary only approves employees (including those a VP level) to stay in "roach motels".typically less than $50 a night..AND a rediculous travel Per diem. Plan to eat all of your meals at McDonalds, or you will be paying out of your own pocket
     While I think it is great to be fiscally responsible, there are limits when this frugality, only infuriates your employees Advice....Strike a happy balance or you will pay the cost in TURNOVER.

Advice to Management

Turn this company Public, and remove Sean Cleary ASAP before he runs the company into the ground.
    His Dad built a good company. The Son with the Silver Spoon will destroy it.
    Top Down Old school, brow-beating style of management towards employees is never effective. It only drives a wedge in relationships and will result in high cost turnover. HR people should take notice of this behavior and have the stones to correct this problem by removing the culprits, including top officials.

Become COMPETITIVE with the rest of the world with pay, benefits, bonus programs, managment tools, marketing strategies, and technology.
    As long as you continue to be cheapskates, you will continue to have a revolving door.
    TURNOVER FOR A COMPANY IS VERY EXPENSIVE.
    So Which would your rather have?
    Long term employees who REALLY know your business, are LOYAL to your company and feel "Part of the team" happy in their jobs and recommend the company to others..and in exchange you SPEND a little more to make them happy?
    OR the alternative? .

Which ends up costing the company MORE in the long run all things considered like productivity, training costs, etc?

Make smarter operational decisions. There are so many ways to get cost out of your business,and more importantly become more PRODUCTIVE and customer-Centric but you have to change your mindset.

Cleary TALKS a big game about putting the customer at the top of the pyramid. My experience was that this is not true whatsoever. In fact Cleary is willing to sue their customers instead of honoring their own warranties and promises.

Another example OWNING vehicles with 250-300,000 miles on them, which constantly break down, pose safety issues to employees, HAMPER PRODUCTION, disappoint customers with poor service, and result in BIG repair expense....not to mention poor gas mileage.

Instead, Negotiate GOOD deals on fleet leases. It will provide much more reliable and fuel efficient vehicles, reducing fuel and repair costs, and increase production, .This will also will add to employee satisfaction. No one likes to be sitting on the side of the road in 100 degree heat waiting for a tow truck on a fairly regular basis. Over the long haul, the costs should be the same or less

Pay your production teams better and TRAIN them better with a better training infrastructure. This will improve loyalty, better production, better employee retention and reduce travelling crews.
    Crews who travel frequently increase costs across the board, makes the Cleary building less price competitive to the custtomer, increases wear/tear mileage on company asset (and hence more possibilites of breakdowns), less job satisfaction and MUCH higher turnover if the employee is constantly travelling.
    It also isn't any fun stuck in a roach motel room with two or three other guys for a week or more at a time and constantly traveling hundreds of miles away from home. This doesn't help with the work/life balance

Cleary Building Corp. Response

Feb 12, 2015General Manager - Western Operations

Usually, I do not find debate on social media to be warranted, especially in situations involving anonymous postings. In this case, it is not my intent to debate, but a response is definitely ... More

6. This is an awesome career based company with huge growth potential for the team members

Current Employee - Construction Foreman in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Construction Foreman in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay, benefits, and family feel within the staff

Cons

some travel but never more than a week.

Advice to Management

think about salary positions with an overtime option for the foremans.

7. Great Experiences and continually growing!

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly you get out of the job what you put into it. I have been with this company for 2 years now and started at the very bottom. I am now a BM and love what I do. If you are willing to work hard and be compensated for your efforts this is a place to be! The company is continually growing and putting money in your pocket. Its out there to get but sitting around wont achieve it.

Cons

The cons that come with this company are few and far between. Sometimes like any construction job, things don't go according to plan. But, what Cleary has going to them is that they have 79 more offices to back you up and plenty of resources to do it.

Advice to Management

Push people to work hard and love what they do. if you want a 9-5 job this is NOT for you. But, if you want to work hard and make a killing, this is the place.

8. Great Start in a Great New Career!

Current Employee - Branch Manager in La Verkin, UT
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in La Verkin, UT

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After a year with the company and working my way into Management, I have to say that Upward Mobility, Financial Rewards and Career Satisfaction will be found with Cleary Building Corp. It's not for the Faint of Heart! I have worked hard and have been compensated well for my efforts. If your looking for a career this is the company.

Cons

Learning Curve. You have to learn about the building system and then believe in it to be successful. Doesn't happen over night but when it clicks you'll be thankful.

Advice to Management

Continual Education and thank you for taking steps in the right direction.

Real review by a Real person

Current Employee - Region Manager in Garland, UT
    Current Employee - Region Manager in Garland, UT

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, Debt free, Advancement opportunities, Customer service, Clear goals to grow, The list goes on.... ,Cleary has a highly intense work environment with a clear sense of urgency to achieve our goals everyday and provide the best service we can for our clients from the top down. If you want to be given the opportunity to succeed with all of the help you need, and go make some things happen then this is the place for you, for sure! I started with Cleary 11 years ago as a guy on a field crew, I quickly rose through the ranks of foreman and took the next step into sales. I was given the opportunity to run my own branch and now a Region. With in-house education and training I don't see a limit or a stop sign in front of me anytime in the near future. Thank you

Cons

You're Con could be my Pro....Cleary is not for everybody, if you don't have a high sense of urgency and impeccable work ethic then this is not the place for you. If you want to drive yourself and succeed personally and financially then you might want to fill out an application at a branch office.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and expanding the opportunities for all.

10. My short experience has been great at Cleary!

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cleary has great training programs for all employees, a good solid pay and benefits package at all levels of the organization, and a proven track record of success behind it. It has a face paced environment that rewards hard work, good time management and driven individuals.

Cons

Knowing that procedure and follow through are expected from day one will help new hires acclimate quicker. These are not cons, just setting expectations!

Advice to Management

Continue to add Training opportunities and creating career advancement opportunities.

11. Current Sales Specialist in Delta Colorado - Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Building Sales Specialist in Delta, CO
    Current Employee - Building Sales Specialist in Delta, CO

I have been working at Cleary Building Corp. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent family owned company. Great corporate support. Very stable upper management. Advancement training readily available. Personal growth opportunities are endless (I've held more than 3 positions with the company over 9 years). Customer service focused company through and through.

My name is Stephen Drye and I am the current BSS working for Cleary Building Corporation in the Delta Colorado office. I am very happily employed with Cleary Building Corporation and have been for over 9 years now. Cleary is a GREAT company to work for and offers a great product! This is NOT written by a member of the marketing team, and I have no problem attaching my full name to this post.

Feel free to contact me at the Delta office, or just stop in and say hi face to face. I’d be happy to greet you!

Cons

Can't think of any at all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!