Cleary Gottlieb Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.9

Cleary Gottlieb Managing Partner Mark Leddy
Mark Leddy

Pros
  • Good benefits (I'm thinking about you, free Equinox membership) (in 5 reviews)

• Cleary is a great firm to work for, if you want to work for a firm (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Obviously long hours and managers can be hit or miss (in 7 reviews)

• Global working hours often require working "after hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Cleary served its purpose....for the time I was there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and good benefits at first....benefits and overtime rates reduced over the years. Nice friendships formed. Great parties and food, nice memories.

Cons

Preferential treatment, politics top down, inflexibility, frosty attitudes amongst peers and management, big brother IS watching...everything!

Keep putting the bottom line over employee satisfaction and you may end up as your 'cousin' firm Dewey Ballantine did...take heed.

worst place I have ever worked-no respect, no appreciation, low morale and full of politics

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb

Pros

coworkers are the only positive

Cons

70% of the people working in one of the staff department who have been with the firm for more than 5 years have been either fired or left for other jobs. The remaining veterans will have the same fate (being fired) or luck (find other jobs).

Saving cost to boost bottom line is important to a business, but if you have to layoff people , treat long term employees with respect and distribute severance pay like other law firms. Creating false performance warning or giving hard time to employees hoping they will leave on their own may save you a few pennies, but is definitely not the practice.

The people I worked with (the paralegal team) was fabulous but everything else was horrible.

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and good food

Cons

Treatment of employees, degrading, long hours and not flexible or reasonable, preferential treatment

REVAMP THE PARALEGAL DEPARTMENT

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great substantive and international experience early on

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cleary is a great firm to work for, if you want to work for a firm. There's plenty of opportunity to get meaningful work as a junior, especially if you seek it out. The partners and senior associates are respectful and, generally, very nice and interesting people. It's also a great place to work if you're diverse in any way (sexual orientation, nationality, race, etc.).

Cleary is also involved in some very exciting international work, including litigation and arbitration. It's one of a handful of firms that represent foreign governments not just in restructuring their debt, but also in litigation in court.

Cons

While the people are great, it's still a firm and the hours can be long, and sometimes brutal. You're expected to be on call at all times, and that can get stressful.

Great lawyers, little pay for professional staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time

Pros

culture, nice office, friendly staff

Cons

long hours, not great pay for professional staff

Happy enough until change of management and mass layoffs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb full-time

Pros

Pretty good compensation and good benefits.

Cons

Unstable. Layoffs despite what they say. Many admin staff are very unmotivated, bored and boring.

Smart quirky people doing interesting legal work in a pleasant environment

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb full-time

Pros

* People love to say it but the culture really is different at Cleary. Whether it is a result of the old-school pure lock-step approach or the fact that almost every attorney here has Ivy growing on her office walls, Cleary definitely has a unique vibe.
    * You will be working with/for the brightest of the bright
    * Good benefits (I'm thinking about you, free Equinox membership)
    * Great office environment
    * Friday wine and cheese!

Cons

* At the end of the day, it is still a large law firm with the usual downsides: poor work-life balance and little chance of making partner, but if you've made peace with these inevitabilities, then you'd be hard-pressed to find a better shop.

Do what you can to preserve the unique culture.

worst place I've ever worked

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time

Pros

none I can think of - many long term employees there stated the company is no longer what it used to be - they are disappointed at the changes

Cons

management only cares about profit for partners- it's ok if the company truly values the employees and rewards them with what they deserve - unfortunately this is not the case. micro management, high turnover rate, hiring junior level people to do senior level work, constant restructuring to get rid of competent employees to cut cost, depressed employees and low morale

advice - what advice - they will listen? i doubt it.

Stellar firm, stellar employees

Former Employee - Summer Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work. Significant responsibility as a summer associate. Opportunity to work abroad during the summer. Excellent compensation. Willingness to accommodate unexpected needs. I was treated very well by all employees that I came in contact with at the firm. Also, the firm's extracurricular cultural activities for the summer associates were top-notched. And we were able to dine at very fine restaurants occasionally during the summer.

Cons

The stellar experience that I had as a summer associate may not have translated to similar treatment as a full-time associate, according to others that I know who worked at Cleary after graduating from law school and had some negative experiences with administrators and other lawyers.

Former Paralegal

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time

Pros

Very professional environment. Interesting cases. Daily interaction with attorneys and the attorneys tend to be very nice and agreeable.

Cons

Long hours. Due to the size of the firm, must take own initiative and actively communicate with supervisor to stay afloat

Worked for Cleary Gottlieb? Contribute to the Community!