Clemson University

www.clemson.edu

Clemson University Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

James P. Clements

Pros
  • Higher ed is a great environment to work in and management does offer much flexibility with schedules(in 7 reviews)

• Great place to learn skills that will carry across all sectors and jobs(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • small town, they don't have too much interesting to do but football game is awesome(in 7 reviews)

• It is often difficult to understand why decisions are made(in 2 reviews)

Great Place to Work

ProsWorking on a beautiful college campus
    Great paid annual and sick leave and holiday leave
    Good health benefits
    Opportunity to move around within the university

ConsInconsistency in salaries from area to area
    Hard or good work is not always rewarded; poor work is almost never addressed

Great Place to Work

Research Associate (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsI like the location in Greenville. Very friendly work station. We have various high tech laboratories for automotive applications.

ConsThe payment could be more competitive. Management can be better for new comers. Decisions are made by the broad if trustees and provotst and don't seem logic.

very good research university

ProsVery good research atmosphere here

Consthe city is a little bit too small

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fike Recreation Center was overall a great place to work during my college career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to move up from being paid minimum wage to earning a position that paid more as an intern.

ConsIt is hard to fit in sometimes as a student employee. My Director was not very involved and did not seem to care if I was learning anything as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvite student employees to weekly meetings or have weekly meetings set aside for all student employees so we can interact together and make sure all aspects of the department are understood by all and everyone is on the same page about tasks that are required.

research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Clemson, SC

Prosgood weather. There is no serious matter. It is university.

ConsIt is school. There are lots of students.

Great facilities and research opportunities

Prosgreat research opportunities and availability of funding plus a nice place to be at

Conssmall town challenges and less vibrent

Graduate Assistantships are the way to go in Grad School.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Clemson, SC

ProsGet paid to work 20 hours a week on a project that provides real experience.
    Meet others who are interested in the same things you are.
    Network at conferences and make industry contacts.

Cons20 hours of work per work plus class work can be challenging to get it all in.
    Requires excellent time management skills.

Resident Assistant

Resident Assistant (Former Employee) Clemson, SC

ProsThe RA position provided a great team environment to work in that developed professional skills, experience, and provided enough compensation to offset some University expenses. Other perks included a single room at the double rate (for housing areas that typically assign two people to a bedroom), flexible schedules that are planned well in advance, and great responsiveness from direct and indirect supervisors and team members.

ConsThe compensation is not the best based on what some other university housing programs offer (no free room and board, for example), and you are required to be on call 24/7 on some designated duty nights and weekends (yes, you will more than likely miss at least one home game because of this). The backgrounds of other RA's is very diverse, so there are RA's who go above and beyond the job description (over-stepping and potentially difficult to work with) as well as those who do the absolute bare minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support the RA's, but make sure the job requirements they are being asked to fulfill actually align with what students and residents want and benefit from. Oftentimes Housing's policies are too disconnected from the students and residents they are designed to benefit.

Great place to work.

Director (Current Employee) Clemson, SC

ProsI love the location and the upstate of South Carolina. Our office has a familial culture and has been a great place to work and grow. Higher education offers a flexible schedule and great benefits such as employees are offered free tuition for up to 6 hours a semester.

ConsDecisions are mostly made by the Board of Trustees and Provost and don't always seem logical or in touch with the true needs of the colleges and students.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your professional staff, they truly have a direct line to the heart of campus.

Great learning experience

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Clemson, SC

ProsQuality Education, Tuition Benefits, Low cost of attendance, Awesome Football Season etc.

ConsConservative Views, Limited Industrial Exposure, Small Town etc.

Worked for Clemson University? Contribute to the Community!