Cleveland Clinic

Updated September 16, 2014
3.7

Cleveland Clinic Chairman, President, and CEO Toby Cosgrove
Toby Cosgrove

Pros
  • We have great benefits including great health care coverage (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible schedule, lots of jobs, tuition reimbursement, room for growth (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, there is a contradiction between stated work/life balance goals and real expectations (in 6 reviews)

• You have to pay for parking, which is the only way unless you live on a bus route (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

228 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Benefits,Too much red tape

Former Employee - Financial Analyst I  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros

New employee's start out with 28 days of vacation (including holidays) and it gets bumped up to 35 days after 5 years. There is a partial MBA reimbursement. Employee's are very friendly and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Compensation is below industry standards for similar positions (Financial Analyst). Management takes a long time to effect change as the structure of the organization does not allow for swift action. Raises are downright insulting.

Don't complete one size fits all performance reviews, allow for managers to compensate good employees adequately before they all leave.

Cleveland Clinic Talent Acquisition

Former Employee - Client Recruiter  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Client Recruiter in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very strong connection with the business and great HR business partners. TA has worked hard to have a strong presence in the hospital and not just be an offsite entity. This has helped individuals truly learn the needs of the business and provide top talent.

Cons

Too much turnover within the team, management in TA has not figured out how to retain employee's for much longer than 2-3yrs. The budget seems to be fairly unstable and there are a lot of scares around job security (potentially outsourcing recruitment).

Work on finding a way to provide consistency to your team members. You have a lot of strong players that are giving you a lot more than 40hrs per week, find a unique way to appreciate them (aside from caregiver celebrations). The happier they feel the more likely they will want to stay.

excellent

Former Employee - Hemo Dialysis Tech  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Hemo Dialysis Tech in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good place to learn and excellent support

Cons

fast pace must pay close attention no room for error

continue good job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lab Tech

Current Employee - Lab Tech  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities, great people! Would recommend to others

Cons

Training wasn't so great, if they could improve this it would make the job much easier.

Very nice place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing amount of resources, very professional environment, committed to quality control and overall quality of patient experience, innovation driven, very focused on patient care

Cons

Terrible parking situation, overly focused on bottom dollar, not much employee loyalty, often makes great demands of employees, not very focused on aspects of care outside of direct patient care, are not committed to improvement for it's own sake only for increases in money and resources

This is a top notch organization and is a leader in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Lyndhurst, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lyndhurst, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic benefits and solid leadership. Being known as a national leader in healthcare brings a feeling of prestiege and pride.

Cons

The organization is very degree conscious and difficult to move upward. Very difficult to become part of managment team without an MBA.

Keep the incentives for tuition reimbursement and encourage promotion of your existing staff to increase a feeling of loyalty to the organization.

Inovative Health Care Organization with great benefits

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are very good. The company reaches out to the comunity. The core values are honorable.

Cons

I work in IT. The Clinical areas hire their own technology support. Often the clinical people are not technical and the project managers don't understand the stakeholders. IT employees are overworked and under valued. There is little or no training available to grow your skill sets. This is a VERY political company. You have to learn to watch your back here.

Make sure the IT managers can comunicate well... Put a project methodology in place for all areas. Get off Windows NT.

A wonderful experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I am a customer service oriented person and I feel at my best when dealing with patients or family members. A very good place to work and share your skills with others in hope to make some ones day better.

Cons

Life but who can change it.

To be more open minded. If more management could do the jobs they are managing they would understand more of others feelings and problems within there departments

Heading Down a Slippery Slope

Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Health Benefits!, Employee Perks in the Community, Health Programs, Gym or Curves Membership

Cons

Low Pay, Staffing Issues, "Cost Re-positioning", Under qualified management, No raises

Instead of making all decisions from the top down, include your employees that are on the front lines. A lot of decisions that are being made make absolutely no practical sense and are simply money saving measures. These end up forcing us to sacrifice patient experience, which is in turn blamed on us. A rock and a hard place?

Also, reward your employees for their loyalty. Stop firing or forcing retirement on long term, loyal employees with experience and then promoting lesser-paid lesser-qualified people. It's incredibly frustrating to have a supervisor who doesn't know much more than me and was promoted to take the place of an excellent employee who likely had a higher salary.

Do not think for one second that understaffing your offices to save money is going to work out in the long run. I work in an understaffed office where we have almost 20 phone lines that are expected to be tended to by three people who are also checking over 100 patient's in and out each day and handling the secretarial needs of the doctors. We had a fourth spot open at the desk for months after someone retired, and then the approval to hire was taken away yet more phone lines were added. On top of it all, we received no holiday bonus and no raise this year despite keeping up with the increased job expectations. That's not right. The health care benefits are great but without a reasonable salary, you are going to start losing people and find it hard to replace them with the same quality of employees.

Lastly.... give raises! It's unbelievable that you would not even give a single percent raise to your employees. This cost re-positioning movement in the Clinic is going to cost you your most dedicated staff. The Clinic acts as if it has been brought to its knees in bankruptcy the way they are cutting corners yet in reality they are still making huge profits. Your employees deserve reward for their efforts but instead they are given more work for the same pay.

An experience

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Independence, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time for more than a year

Pros

My area offers a flexibility in work schedule if need be. Most of the folks are pleasant to work with. The benefits offered are nice. The Cleveland Clinic as a whole is a good established institution, but is not without its imperfections.

Cons

I appreciate a company who supports the promotes healthy choices to its employees, but do not appreciate that it is forced.

Worked for Cleveland Clinic? Contribute to the Community!