Cleveland Clinic

Updated October 18, 2014
3.6

Cleveland Clinic Chairman, President, and CEO Toby Cosgrove
Toby Cosgrove

Pros
  • We have great benefits including great health care coverage (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible schedule, lots of jobs, tuition reimbursement, room for growth (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, there is a contradiction between stated work/life balance goals and real expectations (in 6 reviews)

• You have to pay for parking, which is the only way unless you live on a bus route (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good experience, fair pay and room to grow in a extremely professional environment

Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay the supervision and the experience

Cons

Some coworkers are nasty and it's hard to let go of employees

Take notice of employees relations and inter office bullying

Great learning environment

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

great benefits, good learning environment

Cons

Fast paced work environment and expected to do more with less, accrued pto is also used for sick days

Amazing organization

Current Employee - Patient Care Nursing Assistant (PCNA)
    Current Employee - Patient Care Nursing Assistant (PCNA)

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, excellent benefits, patients first priority always, latest technology, care for its staff, best organization to work for. Management are positive & reward hard work. Push for higher education & work for your schedule while you are in school. Very supportive.

Cons

Staffing can be low at times and acuity not always taken into consideration when daily staffing is done. Typically staff based on census when need to staff based on patient acuity. No uniform assistance.

Assess some assistant managers attitudes & assistance to staff. Teach more management skills & interpersonal skills. Focus on teaching them to support staff w/ a positive friendly attitude & not on always pointing out every minor mistake in front of patients & other staff. Most floor managers are amazing & dedicated & motivating & caring but certain day ANMs don't have same attitudes of The Nurse manager. When you work hard & are dedicate to your job & some AnMs never say thanks or tell you good job even when a patient is praising you & your coworkers r thanking you for all the help & extra things you did an the ANM only says you didn't foam out of the last room and never thanks for your hard work it makes it hard to work in that environment. It is important to remind certain things but it's also important to praise the staff once and a while. One day ANM is so positive and tells you thank you and good job but the other is so negative everyday, especially if she has to b in staff. ANNs need more management & staff skills. PCNAs not always treated as smart as RNs when some PCNAs are very smart, very helpful, motivated & truly care about supporting their nurses & patients. ANMs should have yearly training on being leaders & learning ways to motivate & support all staff. RNs, PCNAs, HUCs. They too need to learn how to support the nurses & not have excuses why they can't help w/ an admission or iv or med passing. They alway seem to have office work to do. Otherwise this is an amazing company. I am so honored & blessed to be apart of this organization. I love what I do. I love my job. I plan on always working for the CCF. I can't wait to continue my education to deliver true world class care to all my patients. I feel motivated & supported by my coworkers who r mentors & my nurse manager to continue my education. They keep me motivated & positive even when times r tough. I work for the best nurse manager ever. I work with the best Nurses & PCNAs. We work w/ amazing doctors who truly care for their patients & love their jobs. I get to see patients come from all over the US to see our doctors & that is such an honor & cool thing to work w/ some of the best doctors in their field. Great job CCF & thanks for all you have done & continue to do for me.

It was an amazing experience that enhanced my perspective of what it means to be a Physical Therapist.

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic as an intern

Pros

one on one interactions with people of all kinds

Cons

not paid, small work area

RN

Former Employee - Staff RN in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful educational opportunities and health benefits. My manager was also wonderful.

Cons

Shift differential could be more of what the market is offering.

None....keep up the good work

Good place for experience

Current Employee - Staff RN in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best part of working at the clinic. Nurse manager truly cares about employees

Cons

Upper management could care less about nursing. Everything comes down on nurses first. Budget cuts= better cut nurses incentives

Start looking out for the nurses because they are the oil to the machine.

Horrible place to work.

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

Flexible scheduling allows you to start work as early as 6am or as late as 9am

Cons

Very controlling. Doesn't allow employees to think for themselves.

Allow your employees the freedom to think and express their thoughts without feeling like you'll lose your job.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Staff RN in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay considering health insurance covers so much, tuition reimbursement, some growth opportunities, emphasis on top-notch patient care, state-of-the-art treatments and technology, 12-hour shifts, and some of my coworkers are great.

Cons

There are too many politics. Too many moody and lazy employees; there needs to be more of an emphasis on finding top-notch, hard-working, compassionate employees. If the Clinic put half the effort into hiring such PCNAs, dietary employees, housekeepers, etc. as they do with higher-up positions (RNs, NPs, MDs, SWs, RTs, etc.), I wouldn't be quitting, patients would be more satisfied, and other employees wouldn't be scurrying out of the doors. Come on! This isn't science; it's common sense. I'm all for CCF being an EQUAL opportunity employer; that doesn't mean you hire a copious amount of lazy, unappreciative, apathetic employees. The Clinic needs a massive employee restructuring! I should have to see a McDonald's employee stuffing chicken nuggets in her mouth and another dancing while I am waiting to order a coffee. Not to mention, I am sick of floating at least once a week to different parts of the hospital where I have to deal with even more jerks in addition to working on a unit I'm unfamiliar with! As a RN, it is hard to rely the supportive staff. I have pharmacy techs chewing gum in my ear when I call for a medication, hanging up on me, and not sending the medications my patients need! These managers need to tighten their reins and fire any employee not contributing to the Cleveland Clinic's "world-class care"/patient-first mission. This point-system is also killing me! I called off four times over the course of an entire year and have almost reach my point max. In addition, I provided a possible revision to this system and was simply blown off.

I apologize if this review is crass. But I do not apologize for the truth behind it. I am a good nurse. I have excellent rapport with our patients and with my managers. I have been awarded many Caregiver Celebrations. But the astounding large number of employees that have a chip on their shoulders simply need to be fired. They are crushing the spirits of all the good, compassionate, hard-working employees who share the same vision and goal of providing world-class care as you do. Moreover, our patients are making comments about these employees. I had an AMET situation on my unit about a month ago and there were two EVS employees loudly chatting it up and obnoxiously laughing outside of my patient's room. Meanwhile, my patient was in respiratory distress and his parents were in tears. This patient died later that night. What message does this send to our patients? Does this scenario fit a world-class care image? Why weren't these employees doing their jobs? Why, after contacting their manager about a multitude of issues with these employees, do the same employees return day after day, performing the minimum? The management has to get a firmer grip on these employees; they are disgracing what the Cleveland Clinic stands for and what it has fought years to achieve. Needless to say, I am simply leaving Main Campus and seeking an opportunity with one of the regional hospitals. I cannot handle anymore. I am a kind, caring individual and I am simply exhausted and burnt out in dealing with the present "climate" at Main Campus. The achievements Steve Jobs made with Apple were only done by not accepting or tolerating mediocrity; he consistently strove to only manufacture and sell top-notch products. This same thinking style needs to be incorporated into all aspects of CCF. That goes from the supplies used in the hospitals to the employees hired -- regardless of what position it's for.

review

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time

Pros

I gained a lot of experience in the fifteen years I worked there. A highly respected hospital.

Cons

Short staffing too many new employees.

Work harder to help nurses on the floor.

Great job and great benefits

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great staff, benefits and the best and newest equipment. Loved my co-workers worked great together as a team supporting each other.

Cons

Short staffed, cutting positions, eliminating full time employees with PRN, Job security is gone and many employees afraid of losing their jobs.