Cleveland Clinic

Updated October 31, 2014
3.6

Cleveland Clinic Chairman, President, and CEO Toby Cosgrove
Toby Cosgrove

Pros
  • We have great benefits including great health care coverage (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible schedule, lots of jobs, tuition reimbursement, room for growth (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, there is a contradiction between stated work/life balance goals and real expectations (in 6 reviews)

• You have to pay for parking, which is the only way unless you live on a bus route (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Communications Associate

Former Employee - Communications Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Communications Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work/life balance, great insurance, great PTO, good culture and values

Cons

limited room for growth, minimal raises and no bonuses, minimal feedback from management

Very good experience, fair pay and room to grow in a extremely professional environment

Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay the supervision and the experience

Cons

Some coworkers are nasty and it's hard to let go of employees

Take notice of employees relations and inter office bullying

Great learning environment

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

great benefits, good learning environment

Cons

Fast paced work environment and expected to do more with less, accrued pto is also used for sick days

rn

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Patients care is the best

Cons

Management does not blisten to staff

Listen to your employee

Work environment

I worked at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

collaborative environment with colleagues, technicians and physicians.

Cons

Stressful. Hectic pace. Understaffed. Management quick to point fingers and not take responsibility.

Need to ask a handful of employees for input when decision is being made that will affect their work directly.

Initially it was a good experience that turned out disappointing.

I worked at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The chance to work with good employees that work hard was definitely a pro.

Cons

There is little employee loyalty and part-time job work for business professionals. Hundreds of employees are losing their jobs and these are folks with 15 - 30 years of service.

While hiring someone new for less money seems like a good idea, they cannot offer the loyalty and experience of a tenured employee. It costs more to retrain and hire new rather than keep loyal and dedicated employees.

Administrative Program Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great and its a large organization

Cons

Extremely stressful with very little support from leadership.

Horrible place to work.

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

Flexible scheduling allows you to start work as early as 6am or as late as 9am

Cons

Very controlling. Doesn't allow employees to think for themselves.

Allow your employees the freedom to think and express their thoughts without feeling like you'll lose your job.

Not what I expected

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay considering health insurance covers so much, tuition reimbursement, some growth opportunities, emphasis on top-notch patient care, state-of-the-art treatments and technology, 12-hour shifts, and some of my coworkers are great.

Cons

There are too many politics. Too many moody and lazy employees; there needs to be more of an emphasis on finding top-notch, hard-working, compassionate employees. If the Clinic put half the effort into hiring such PCNAs, dietary employees, housekeepers, etc. as they do with higher-up positions (RNs, NPs, MDs, SWs, RTs, etc.), I wouldn't be quitting, patients would be more satisfied, and other employees wouldn't be scurrying out of the doors. Come on! This isn't science; it's common sense. I'm all for CCF being an EQUAL opportunity employer; that doesn't mean you hire a copious amount of lazy, unappreciative, apathetic employees. The Clinic needs a massive employee restructuring! I should have to see a McDonald's employee stuffing chicken nuggets in her mouth and another dancing while I am waiting to order a coffee. Not to mention, I am sick of floating at least once a week to different parts of the hospital where I have to deal with even more jerks in addition to working on a unit I'm unfamiliar with! As a RN, it is hard to rely the supportive staff. I have pharmacy techs chewing gum in my ear when I call for a medication, hanging up on me, and not sending the medications my patients need! These managers need to tighten their reins and fire any employee not contributing to the Cleveland Clinic's "world-class care"/patient-first mission. This point-system is also killing me! I called off four times over the course of an entire year and have almost reach my point max. In addition, I provided a possible revision to this system and was simply blown off.

I apologize if this review is crass. But I do not apologize for the truth behind it. I am a good nurse. I have excellent rapport with our patients and with my managers. I have been awarded many Caregiver Celebrations. But the astounding large number of employees that have a chip on their shoulders simply need to be fired. They are crushing the spirits of all the good, compassionate, hard-working employees who share the same vision and goal of providing world-class care as you do. Moreover, our patients are making comments about these employees. I had an AMET situation on my unit about a month ago and there were two EVS employees loudly chatting it up and obnoxiously laughing outside of my patient's room. Meanwhile, my patient was in respiratory distress and his parents were in tears. This patient died later that night. What message does this send to our patients? Does this scenario fit a world-class care image? Why weren't these employees doing their jobs? Why, after contacting their manager about a multitude of issues with these employees, do the same employees return day after day, performing the minimum? The management has to get a firmer grip on these employees; they are disgracing what the Cleveland Clinic stands for and what it has fought years to achieve. Needless to say, I am simply leaving Main Campus and seeking an opportunity with one of the regional hospitals. I cannot handle anymore. I am a kind, caring individual and I am simply exhausted and burnt out in dealing with the present "climate" at Main Campus. The achievements Steve Jobs made with Apple were only done by not accepting or tolerating mediocrity; he consistently strove to only manufacture and sell top-notch products. This same thinking style needs to be incorporated into all aspects of CCF. That goes from the supplies used in the hospitals to the employees hired -- regardless of what position it's for.

Good place for experience

Current Employee - Staff RN in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best part of working at the clinic. Nurse manager truly cares about employees

Cons

Upper management could care less about nursing. Everything comes down on nurses first. Budget cuts= better cut nurses incentives

Start looking out for the nurses because they are the oil to the machine.