Cleveland Clinic

Updated January 21, 2015
3.5

Cleveland Clinic Chairman, President, and CEO Toby Cosgrove
Toby Cosgrove

Pros
  • We have great benefits including great health care coverage (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible schedule, lots of jobs, tuition reimbursement, room for growth (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, there is a contradiction between stated work/life balance goals and real expectations (in 7 reviews)

• You have to pay for parking, which is the only way unless you live on a bus route (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

You can make whatever you want to out of it. If you are ambitious and want to rise to the top you can. If you want to coast along and stay hidden you can do that to.

Cons

It is a large entity and you can get lost in the crowd.

None

Pretty good place to work!

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Paid time off, is a major benefit if you use it wisely. You can take time off for appointments, sick days, etc and still get paid for the time you took off from work.

Cons

The work-life balance is great. The only con is the point system, however, if you don't abuse your pto or call off often, the point system will not come back to haunt you.

Outstanding

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. Fun yet rewarding environment to be apart of.

Cons

Charging your employees to park. PTO, sick time, and personal days are all used from one 'bank'

very good

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

good people, good environment, and rewarding experience

Cons

driving in good weather and bad

you're the best

Great management

Former Employee - Research Fellow
    Former Employee - Research Fellow

I worked at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

Making a difference in people's lives when they are going through a tough time.

Cons

I did not get overtime.

Not the best option for RNs

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Benefits (health care, tuition reimbursement)
    * Being able to put Cleveland Clinic on your resume
    * Ability to apply to other positions after 1 year
    * You'll see things you won't see at smaller hospitals

Cons

* Rigorous testing (physical, PBDS, EKG, etc)
    * Only $18/hr for new grads where other hospitals start at $24/hr +
    * Pay for parking
    * Cost cutting resulting in Increasingly unsafe patient:nurse ratios
    * Punitive environment
    * Rotating day/nights
    * Unreasonable expectations and constant drilling on "patient satisfaction"

It depends on what you value in your career. Some people want to work for the Clinic for the experience while others don't opt to work there due to the lower salary and "corporate" feel. The Clinic aimed at cutting $330 million out of the budget in 2013 and a lot of that came from reduced salaries and staffing. Patient satisfaction and Press Ganey survey results are constantly hanging over an RN's head. Although that seems to be the reality for many hospitals, the Clinic seems to put a bigger emphasis on it than other area hospitals. During orientation, you will spend an entire day hearing about "customer service" and the Clinic's own "H.E.A.R.T." script and see many charts on how the Clinic ranks compared to other hospitals.

The Clinic's strict emphasis on "customer service" results in some positives and some negatives. Many of my coworkers agree that quieter patients are often receiving less 1:1 time because we must respond to every patient complaint with the "H.E.A.R.T." script regardless of how unrealistic the complaint. This means that while everyone gets the best medical care possible, the squeaky wheel often gets more personal attention while the quieter patient gets less. When we have to escalate a complaint about our lack of bottled water or tiptoe around telling a patient that they shouldn't have their spouse bring them McDonald's, it distracts RNs from the care of other patients.

Management needs to be realistic about patient surveys and how it can impact patient safety. Although management believes that allowing patients to call "room service" whenever they choose rather than following a meal schedule may raise "customer satisfaction," it can be unsafe since the RN must be on constant alert for an arriving tray for our diabetic patients. If the RN is in another patient's room and doesn't see the tray arrive, the diabetic patient may not get the necessary coverage on time. It's an unrealistic responsibility for RNs to catch it every time and patients do forget to tell us despite our repeated requests. Patient safety is always more important than patient satisfaction.

Employees are undervalued and under appreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Administrator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Administrator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers (in my area) act as a team and mesh very well.

Cons

Employees are not compensated fairly or equally, even with the same level of experience, same length of service, etc. Work-life balance: the emphasis is definitely on work first. Flex time is frowned up in my area. Manager communication is very poor and inconsistent.

Compensate hard-working employees fairly. Consider giving promotions to deserving individuals. Take into consideration that employees have families, and allow some flexibility in this aspect.

RN

I worked at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

World renowned and high tech, and encourages further education...

Cons

Too many rules and policies, Pre-occupied by trying to to maintain the world class status that some basic aspect are neglected, employment or even advancement in level of employment are based on who you know low pay .Finally too much egocentricsm by management.

Pay attention to your employee..

Great experience, but some there are room for improvements.

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic

Pros

The work experience is great. You get to work with diverse individuals from all different backgrounds. The Clinic has a great reputation. The benefits are ok.

Cons

The pay is subpar. Sometimes, it feels like you are walking on egg-shells with upper management. Morale can be improved in some departments.

I wish they could listen more to what employees have to say about the decisions they make.

I worked there for the past seven years as a nursing assistant

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

semi great benefits, world renown organization, perks, tuition reimbursement

Cons

promotions goes to those whose butt you kiss the most, don't dare question anything, try not to leave or you'll have no chance in ever getting back in.

Listen to your employees even if its not what you want to hear and try to go into every situation with an open mind not high school gossip