Cleveland Public Library Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Felton Thomas, Jr.
1 Rating

1. Teamwork on the staff, management can be a bit divorced from "ground zero".

Current Employee - Adult Services Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Adult Services Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Public Library part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, low stress, good salary.

Cons

The branch that I work at is a bit disorganized, the PR is sub-par so programs aren't widely known to the public.

Advice to Management

Streamline job descriptions, spend more time on the floor to see what we need/don't need.

2. More downs than ups at Cleveland Public Library

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Public Library full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse staff and the opportunity to learn a huge amount out information; competitive starting wage

Cons

No real chance of advancement unless willing to go to grad school also no raises in five years and counting

Advice to Management

Realize the worker is the most valuable part of the organization next to the patrons

3. Horrible.

Current Employee - Branch Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Branch Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Public Library full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason I work here is because I live within walking distance.

Cons

Managers gossip and keep certain employees from advancing. The hours suck. There are no perks. The job is boring. No raise in more than five years. Money is wasted on things like MFDs, free music downloads, cellphone charging stations and way too much leniency in fines.

Advice to Management

Please keep manager's meetings gossip-free. If managers have personal relationships with one another outside of work, keep it there, don't bring it to the job. Do not allow managers to persecute and oppress employees. Give us our raises as promised. If a patron complains allow the staff member to be present during the complaint, or get the complaint in writing. Do not allow non-staff to use staff restrooms, lounge, supplies or equipment. Do not allow staff to do each others jobs.

5. I worked there as a page for 8 years and it was the perfect job for students

Former Employee - Page in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Page in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Cleveland Public Library part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, semi-well paid and duties were simply and straight forward.

Cons

They dont give out more 17 hours per week for page

6. Great organization to work for! Employees are treated with respect and are encouraged to be creative and involved.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Public Library full-time

Pros

great work environment; coworkers are professional; great management team; employees are treated with respect; salaries are competitive; employees are part of the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS)

Cons

there has been a freeze on pay increases (step system) for three years; employees must take several furlough days during the year;

7. I have a great time working there.

Former Employee - Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Clerk in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Lay back, fun and friendly working environment.

Cons

Dealing with different types of people.

RSS Feed </> Embed