ClickFox Reviews

Updated July 28, 2014

Marco Pacelli

Great idea, tough market

I have been working at ClickFox

Pros

Great idea and smart people developing a new market and new business solutions in Big Data.

Cons

Tough new market makes it hard to find budgets and big thinkers who will embrace change.

ClickFox is a great place to gain valuable experience.

I have been working at ClickFox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are incredible opportunities to work with teams on projects and get experience that will build your resume. It's fun to work with a lot of really smart people who are very passionate about what they're doing. There is a lot of flexibility with schedules but a lot of work to do too. You can move up the ladder pretty quickly if you deliver results. So much potential in the big data space for CF!

Cons

Employees need to understand the company mission, vision and values and how that connects with what we do everyday.

Definitely getting better but communication from management could still improve.

Startup mentality, for a 10 year old company

Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at ClickFox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bleeding edge technology, meaning you become a subject matter expert by reading everything you can find in just a few days. You gain a great deal of experience on the latest technology by setting up and playing with it, does not mean it will ever be implemented. You will become a troubleshooting guru due to all the fires that constantly pop up, pushing your current emergency to the back burner, to work on the latest emergency.

Cons

Company direction dictated to which ever client pays the most for the service and is up to date on payments.
    Management are mostly Nice Systems rejects, with dollar signs in their eyes, but not much talent in the management field.
    Not many opportunities for advancement unless you are a Data Scientist, only because they leave so quickly and have to be replaced.
    Tend to hire college grads at low salary, or even High School Students.
    Layoffs and firings were the norm.
    Technology driven by the whims of Project Managers and Business Analysts, without understanding the capabilities of the technology.

Take the company seriously, try to grow the technology and customer base with standards, reliability, and professionalism, not smoke and mirrors!

Things are changing!

I have been working at ClickFox

Pros

Some recent management changes appear very promising! Our focus is changing and the decisions behind the vision seem to align. I hear we're getting new office space soon...less "corporate" all cool...right here in Denver...very cool!

Cons

We have a lot of work to do to achieve what we're shooting for...especially where we're coming from. We'll see if we can achieve the vision. Not afraid of work, just afraid of stupid work.

Keep it up...like you say...let's do what we say you're going to do!

Poorly Managed Sweatshop

I have been working at ClickFox

Pros

Good hands-on learning experience for your next job. Free soda pop.

Cons

High turnover. Can't attract or retain experienced people. The good experienced people that do come into the company, usually stay for only a short time, due to lack of opportunity, lack of compensation, or being ran into the ground mentally or physically. Very poor frontline management. Cronyism is the rule at ClickFox. All managers are entrenched, option-carrying, and fairly incompetent. Unless friends start firing their incompetent friends they brought in, this will never change at ClickFox. Unprofitable. That means there is no training, outdated equipment, a freeware toolset, no raises, no bonuses, crappy little cubicles and furniture (think bathroom stalls), and the list goes on and on. Poor product. Very buggy, very slow core product that simply falls over when heavy volumes of data are applied. This makes everybody's life miserable ... Because that is precisely what the product is supposed to do. Handle heavy volumes of data. It doesn't do that well at all, so the majority of the staff spends its day fixing and cleaning up abends generated by it's normal daily processing. It's a miserable daily vicious cycle. This is not likely to change anytime soon, because the overall design of the product is controlled with an iron fist, by just a couple of folks, who treat the product like it's there own personal science fair project, rather than a commercial software product. Poor executive management. The vision is actually pretty good, there is just a lack of follow through by the CEO. He doesn't spend much time in the main offices, so there is a disconnect between the vision and the implementation. The drop in talent from the CEO to the next level of management, which actually seems to run the company, is enormous.

CEO should get more personally involved and trust his current team less. His company is at a crossroads at this moment, and has probably outgrown the original team/people it started with. Bringing in new fresh ideas and management, with the help of your consulting partners would be very prudent at this stage of the game.

A great starting place.

I worked at ClickFox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours - The hours are great here, you don't have to work over time if you don't want to and you work the hours you want to as long as you get your work done and you are in at 9:30 am when they do stand ups.

Challenges - ClickFox is doing some challenging and fun things. They approach the problem in a sustainable way, basically they have an entire department dedicated to research and development. They are solving problems related to quickly asking questions of very large data sets and how to ETL unstructured data.

Employees - My peers in R&D are intelligent and generally fun to work with. I have learned a lot from them and many I consider to be friends still. Employing smart people makes drawing other smart people to the team easier.

Professional Development - When it comes to concrete skills, ClickFox will help you improve. Specific training is given importance. If you need to learn Hadoop, Backbone.js, etc, they will help. Management will get you books; they will connect you to other developers in the company; they will allow you to set up weekly, work hour, meetings to train. It is obvious that this is a priority of the leadership. My skills improved dramatically over my time here and this inspired a degree of loyalty.

Leadership Recognize Faults - There is a problem with culture at ClickFox. The good thing is that it has been recognized by leadership and attempts have been made to fix it. They created a committee to address the issue. So far we have seen: a survey, a few bigger company parties and events, weekly fruit deliveries, and random things hanging on the walls. I expect more good things to come out now that they are established. I hope that some of the things in the Con's section will be addressed in future projects.

Cons

Communication - the communication from the top is severely lacking. The company vision is not clear to the entire team. Clickfox achievements and difficulties are not well communicated and it is a challenge to be heard.

Amenities - while looking for other jobs I discovered one of the reason it was hard to hire the most amazing developers was because other offices are more fun to work in. Other places have kegs for developers, they have gyms and showers, they tv's with PS3's, they have break rooms with tables for lunch, basically they are just really fun environments. ClickFox is more corporate, they have cubes, refrigerators, and meeting rooms... that is it. They are trying to make it fun with a chili cook off once a year, holiday parties a few times a year, a fuzzball table and ping pong ball table (which are now put away and inaccessible). But they have not yet figured out that developers get paid enough money, what the top talent wants is a fun work environment.

Advancement Opportunities - basically, if you are in R&D you are never going to get a good title or raise. They have CEO -> VP of R&D -> Everyone else. There are seriously 3 levels of titled positions and you are never going to have any clear way to improve title. When we finally had a review (first one in 5+ years for some), they couldn't help you advance your career because there is nowhere to advance.

Co-Location Requirement - You have to go to the office in order to work. More than that, you have to be at your cube to really work. This is because they do not provide laptops nor VPN to connect from home. The stated reason for this falls flat in my eyes. Since we are in Colorado, snow days happen... here you will be taking the day off... regardless of how excited you may be about a particular project.

Right now, ClickFox R&D is set up in such a way that it only attracts/keeps Jr Developers. But without a defined Architect, without a Product Manager, and without company titled Sr Developers, everyone plays those roles and you get so much technical debt that velocity dies. Gives developers obtainable career goals. Create positions that allow you to reward leaders with promotions and titles.

Keep training your people. This is by far one of the best things that ClickFox does for developers, but once they have new skills, they need a reason to stay. The feeling of recognition due to a raise goes away after a few months, but make it fun to work there, make people want to stay after work because it is fun, and you will keep your employees.

Get your employees laptops and external access. Many will not only use them to work on snow days, but in the evenings and weekends because what they do is exciting and fun. Enable people to work from home and you will likely see huge spikes in velocity.

I recommend this company to peers and friends, but, in software development, I will only recommend ClickFox to certain people. I would only recommend friends who have a recognized development weakness they are trying to improve upon. An all around good developer I will send elsewhere because ClickFox does not yet seem ready to help that kind of developer advance her/his career.

A lot of investment, no reward

I worked at ClickFox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ClickFox has a very relaxed atmosphere with a very interesting problem space to work in. Company is fairly stable, with some prospects for growth.

Cons

Starting in the most day-to-day stuff for a developer. Codebase is completely rotten. 3000 line classes, circular dependencies in build, cyclomatic complexity of 20+ accepted as normal. Many parts are completely impossible to work in for most people. If you admit that you are one of those people, you will be ridiculed. There are no modern, best practices in use, and attempts to use them can result in reprimand for being "off task".

Review process is largely non-existent. Reviews that are given have no guidance or engagement from leadership; end up sounding more like blame sessions. There is very little room for upward growth, as a developer I was 3 steps away from the CEO. Conversely, there is little room for leadership from the bottom because of a persistent culture of fear.

Overall corporate culture is dominated by boosterism. Very little improvement can be made because any critical comments are ignored or dismissed. I've seen complaints about sexism be laughed away during the annual anti-harassment training. And yes, there is sexism at every level that I've seen.

It's good for executives to determine the long term goals for the company. But, managing how individual developers will implement those goals, and forcing timelines that actively interfere with them is bad. Especially when none of those goals are maintenance.

You need to make time to maintain the code base, because the amount of rot present is leading towards a full re-write very quickly. You are at the best place to do this, as you've come out of the cash-strapped phase and have a stable customer base. If you continue trying to grow at the expense of keeping what you have, you'll find your software falling over right when you onboard the most important clients.

Stop driving fear into the middle management. Start listening to input from all levels. There are only 4, its not that hard. Without being able to respond to change from within, you hamstring your ability to respond to change from without as well.

Stop defending the status quo when it comes to development. You are a small company with a small client base. That's not the status quo you want to stick with.

Leading the big data transition

I worked at ClickFox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clickfox has some of the smartest people in the industry focused on leading the customer experience revolution. The firm revolves around the flagship CEA product which in my experience is unrivaled. The firm has aligned with the worlds largest integrators which enables access to key accounts while creating services income for both ClickFox and the partner.

Cons

At the time I was there the travel was intense. (as you would expect in a small firm.)

Great Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at ClickFox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible Opportunities to lead engineers

Cons

Lacks Communication with upper management

Promote more people

Good Product, Incompetent Sales Staff and Middle Management

I have been working at ClickFox

Pros

ClickFox has very strong software that allows you to analyze customer interactions for large corporations across multiple channels (IVR, web, mobile, etc). You get to work on interesting problems and your analysis and recommendations are used by clients to make large investments and changes to their CRM systems that save them tens of millions of dollars. The software is easy to learn and several times a couple of hours of analysis is enough to pinpoint exactly what part of a system is not performing well. You then get to make recommendations on how to fix the problem and show this to the client. It is a great place to get experience pitching recommendations/services to the big national players in banking, wireless and utilities. It is also a great place to learn the "big data" industry and your skills are hot in the market place.

Marco Pacelli is a visionary CEO who instills lots of confidence. He's on top of the trends and is able to guide the development of ClickFox' technology to meet the client's changing priorities.

Cons

The problems at ClickFox lie with the middle management and sales organization.

The sales organization is weak and has performed poorly for years. The account managers generally get a year to meet their quota, and hardly anyone is able to make decent sales in that time frame. This means that the account managers generally are replaced after one year. Many account managers don't understand the software and barely even understand the "big data" industry. Needless to say, it's hard for them to be effective selling without understanding what they are selling.

Middle management is very weak and the director level line up is particularly incompetent. Even though there are performance management guidelines and promotion guidelines on paper, these mean very little and promotions are generally achieved by "sucking up". If you want to rise in the ranks be prepared to do lots of late night drinking with the team and make sure you laugh at your managers jokes. The fact that promotions are random and not based on competency makes for an unhealthy workplace where the employees are generally suspicious of each other. This means that few employees choose to stay very long with ClickFox. Few people stick around for more than a couple of years. Most of them see the fundamental problem of having a strong product that's selling poorly because of an incompetent sales organization.

Salaries are towards the lower end of the market range. Benefits are good, except for vacation. There are stock options as well. Since it's a privately held company and there is no reliable information on the financial performance, the stock options are more or less like a lottery ticket that may be worth something one day if the company goes public. Bonuses are also heavily dependent on the company's financial performance, and since there is no insight to the financial performance, the bonuses are very random as well. Sometimes you get a bonus for the company's financial performance and other times you do not, with no explanation at all as to why.