Client Solution Architects
www.csaassociates.com Mechanicsburg, PA 150 to 499 Employees

Client Solution Architects Reviews

Updated Mar 7, 2014

Client Solution Architects CEO Brian K. Lebeau, Sr.

Brian K. Lebeau, Sr.

Not your typical defence contractor

I have been working at Client Solution Architects full-time

ProsI have, and will continue to,highly recommend employment at CSA to my colleagues.

1. Best fringe benefits package I've seen. Period.
2. Familial environment (could also be seen as a con by some, but it is a pro to me)
3. Willing to hire someone with little or no relevant experience and train them.
4. Reasonably flexible in trying to match your professional growth goals with your assignments. The size of the company somewhat limits this, but management seems to make an honest effort.
5. Easy access to management, new ideas/complaints will at least be listened to at all levels, even up to executive. That doesn't mean they will all be implemented, but at least you will be given the opportunity to bring them up.
6. A culture of trust and encouragement. I've witnessed (and personally received) multiple instances where management has built-up and encouraged a consultant that took a risk that "bombed". Letting people learn from their mistakes without the fear of getting fired is a rare thing in the current defense environment.
7. Great IT support (no, I'm not the IT guy/gal). Getting new computers, most current software, and freedom to download tools that you think will help you do your job (along with quick support if those tools mess up your machine) is a great benefit that I didn't know was important until I joined CSA.

Cons1. Raise and bonus criteria is not objective at all, high performance reviews have no impact on your compensation. Asking for a raise is seen as disrespectful and ungrateful.
2. Promotion into management is very difficult unless you are in the "circle of trust".
3. Many of the "cool" benefits like all expenses paid golf tournaments, annual hotel stays for the family, extravagent Christmas parties and hosted happy hours seem to be gone for good.
4. Things get more political the higher you get in the company. This may be true of any company, so not sure if that helps anyone reading this.

Advice to Senior Management1. Beef up the HR department. HR is one of those things that is hard to quantify, but can make or break a large company. HR professionals can also help with the seemingly constant churn of organizational/management structure.
2. Find some cheaper alternatives to the "cool" CSA activities that have had to be dropped due to cost. There are tons of creative examples out there.
3. Focus more on investing in your mid-level employees instead of the same senior people over and over again. Build a career path that leads into Management instead of stopping at a senior non-managment level.

Tight Knit, Rapidly Growing Company

Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Client Solution Architects full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent Benefits Package -- $0 Premium for top of the line health and dental care. Great 401K, lots of time off (if you can take it).

Tight-knit, family style teams -- Teams frequently work closely together and often develop sub-cultures and long lasting friendships.

Lots of opportunity for social interaction -- There is a CSA extra-curricular every week. whether it's volunteer work, triathlons, happy hours or camping trips...something is happening on the team.

Caring leaders -- Leadership team gets to know everyone and cares about them and their family. It is very common to see this type of relationship all the way up to the CEO and COO.

Growth potential -- The company is growing and people are growing with it. On my team we promoted 4 four individuals last year. Great people + Growing Company = High Growth Potential.

ConsCompany has a work hard, play hard mentality -- Everyone is expected to pitch in when needed. Some people only want to work from 9 - 5, and that is fine...they are just missing out on good experiences in the process.

Sometimes the tight teams get cliquey -- But ultimately everyone is always included in everything. People turn down more invitations than they accept.

Growing pains -- Sometimes the company experiences growing pains, which is to be expected as a small business climbs the ranks into the mid/large business world. If I have ever had a concern in this area, I've brought it up to my boss and it was handled appropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust junior employees the first day they come on board, you might be surprised at what you find. Not all discussions are academic, sometimes common sense is the best compass.

I'll probably be here for the next twenty years

I have been working at Client Solution Architects full-time

ProsI've been at CSA for years (somewhere between 1 and 10), and to be honest there have been some bumpy areas in the road. However, those "bumps" helped to teach me lessons along the way. Lessons I needed. CSA has a terrific group of employees in leadership roles. They don't always see eye-to-eye, but some great things have occurred during my tenure. CSA employs great people, provides great benefits, and experiences the same growing pains as any other company. I have worked hard at excelling within CSA, and I have.

ConsGossipers and rumormongers hurt CSA and what we're trying to accomplish. Fighting amongst leaders isn't as well concealed as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the fights behind closed doors and stop complaining about each other. CSA is growing and we need everyone focused on the road ahead of us.

A company working hard to be different while making a difference

Director (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Client Solution Architects full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUnique culture, especially in the Defense Industry
Original owners still heavily involved in corporate strategy
COO that genuinely cares about even the newest, most junior employee
Growth - upward mobility easy to come by for solid performers

ConsGrowth - CSA is adapting to growth which is a challenge for any company. If you are frustrated by change then I recommend going to a larger, more established company. If you thrive off of the entreprenurial spirit and enjoy getting involved at a deeper level then CSA is for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change and make it a mantra. Accept that we don't have it all figured out, but we'll have a hell of a good time while we figure it out.

It was okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Client Solution Architects full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMedical is fully paid for. They include a AAA membership and reimburse a small amount for cell phone usage, more than is actually spent by the employee.

ConsThey don't keep close track of time used, which is important in a company that contracts to the government. When there's bad news they're not as proactive as they could be on informing the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive with sharing bad news with employees, and giving more interim information every couple of months, even if it's to say that there isn't anything new.

Missing Quality Leaders

San Diego, CA

I have been working at Client Solution Architects full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocated in San Diego
Benchmarks strongly in benefits against competitors in industry
Growing

ConsRegularly incompetent and self serving middle management, double standards for individuals who were brought on-board when the company was small
Rewards loyalty over productive value and results
No clearly articulated values; questionable work ethics of back office employees
Nepotism is prevalent
Bitter managers who fight for control over meaningless "territory"

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute 360 evals on managers
Hold each other accountable for mediocrity and quit hiding behind tenure
Create real values and ethical standards that promote a cohesive culture
Build-in flex-time for working household families
Figure out the truth, even if it's not what you want to hear
Follow ethical standards, it just makes for good business

Career Mobility and Creativity

Recruiter (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsCSA has allowed me to travel down many paths on my quest to find a good fit for my career future with them. Additionally, I have been encouraged to bring my ideas to the table and not be afraid to try new things, roll up my sleeves, and be innovative! They provide a terrific benefits package as well which is hard to come by for a company of this size.

ConsGrowing pains. CSA has gone from a small company to a quickly expanding firm and are experiencing some hiccups along the way - nothing that our team will not solve!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the feedback loop, it's important for employees to be heard and empowered.

Phenomenal mentoring and guidance delivers superior client solutions

Director (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsThe leadership and focus on personal developement ensures employees are happy and ready to deliver quality client support.

ConsCSA employees work hard with tremendous benefits. The vacation time could be longer.

Great company with a strong mission to reform the consulting industry.

Recruiting Consultant (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsCSA has a great corporate culture and cares a lot about its employees. It is a company you can grow with and they truly appreciate hard work. Unlike other consulting firms, CSA does not let you go if a contract ends and works with you to find new clients and good working environments. They have one of the best benefits packages on the market as well! CSA is a place where you can be proud of the work you do and take comfort in knowing you have a solid support system if issues arise both personally and on the job.

ConsDue to the nature of consulting and contracts, sometimes the ability to change position can be inhibited during a period of low contract awards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and ensure we keep our culture thriving as we grow larger.

A great experience that has allowed me to grow immensely as a professional

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Client Solution Architects

ProsThis company has a clear vision that is not only the mantra of a few high level managers, but something that can be seen being manifested at the lowest level of our ranks. Building economically viable long term solutions for our clients is not something we just say, it’s something that everyone in the company realizes is a social responsibility that’s critical to all of our long term welfare.
CSA has provided me with all of the education, assistance and resources I have needed to succeed, while at the same time allowing me the freedom to act autonomously and gain professional experience which is rare for someone my age.
The benifits are exceptional and include opportunities for employees to go on global adventure trips to locations such as the Brazil, Peru, China, Europe, Antarctica, and Africa.

ConsThis company has grown rather quickly which has presented some challenges. It can be frustrating to keep up with the changes in doing business as new corporate policies and procedures are created. At the same time these are a necessary evil and it’s exciting to see the company mature around me as my own career progresses.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue to grow it's important that leadership maintain a unified vision of what this company is trying to accomplish.

Worked for Client Solution Architects? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Client Solution Architects reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Client Solution Architects CEO Brian K. Lebeau, Sr. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Client Solution Architects employees.